AT&T DSL Caps effects on my Sky Angel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dcbag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Tennessee

Since the DSL caps start this month with AT&T I will be forced to leave SA. Due to the fact I have to leave the SA receiver on in order to record on TiVo.

My monthly usage far exceed the limit, which most likely will mean an extra $20 a month, that will bring my total expense for TV to around $75 to $85. I can't do that. I only use 8 to 10 channels as it is.

I wish there was a way to turn on the SA receiver only when TiVo is going to record, or if SA had a DVR function.

Does TiVo have a way to send a command to the SA box at the end of the recording? If so you could send a command to go to the menu. The SA box downloads very little data when it is on the menu. There is also a timeout setting in the SA box. If configured, the SA box will switch to the menu if it does not see any IR remote activity for a period of time. This value could be set to a little longer than the longest recording you ever make.

Does TiVo have a way to send a command to the SA box at the end of the recording? If so you could send a command to go to the menu. The SA box downloads very little data when it is on the menu. There is also a timeout setting in the SA box. If configured, the SA box will switch to the menu if it does not see any IR remote activity for a period of time. This value could be set to a little longer than the longest recording you ever make.

Not quite sure, how would I get to the timeout settings? Are you saying to set the time out setting to a little longer than program to record, then when the TiVo puts the channel in to record it should wake up SA and go to that channel?

Hve you looked at the Glorystar system - no monthly fees whatsoever. Just a one time cost of $240 - $350. I dont know which channels you want, but here is the Glorystar line up:
Free Christian Satellite Television - No Monthly Fees from Glorystar Christian Satellite!
Bob

Yes, I have a FTA system that does the same thing as the Glorystar system does, but they do not carry any of the channels both a couple of the channels I use, and of course not the Fox Channels.

My last post was based upon how I thought the feature should work rather than how it actually works. I am not sure if the new box has something similar but the 1st version of the SA box has a sleep feature described here Advanced Setup Features

After actually trying it I found the sleep feature turns to SA box completely off after the timeout. This would not work with your TiVo.
What it should do is send the box to the TV channels menu. When on this menu the box downloads very little data. Also, from this menu you can go directly to any channel by entering the channel number. In this way TiVo could still send the box to the next scheduled channel for recording.

The only other way I can think of would require the TiVo to be capable of sending a "stop" command at the end of a recording. This would send the box to the TV channel menu. I don't know if this is possible with Tivo.

Last edited:
My last post was based upon how I thought the feature should work rather than how it actually works. I am not sure if the new box has something similar but the 1st version of the SA box has a sleep feature described here Advanced Setup Features

After actually trying it I found the sleep feature turns to SA box completely off after the timeout. This would not work with your TiVo.
What it should do is send the box to the TV channels menu. When on this menu the box downloads very little data. Also, from this menu you can go directly to any channel by entering the channel number. In this way TiVo could still send the box to the next scheduled channel for recording.

The only other way I can think of would require the TiVo to be capable of sending a "stop" command at the end of a recording. This would send the box to the TV channel menu. I don't know if this is possible with Tivo.

Thanks for info & trying. I have gone back to the old receiver just so the TiVo could change channels, but there is no kind of stop feature.

It does look like SA would update thier software from time to time & try to keep up with todays other systems. It seems they are content to provide only the basic functions for those who only require to watch on 1 TV in the present time or within the 2 day period on the liberal side of their religious programing, which is a special feature.

Yesterday I changed my DSL provider from AT&T to Earthlink. So when that takes place we will see how that works. Earthlink does cost a little more, but does not have any caps at this time.

I have ATT DSL & Sky Angel. I never got around to stopping my Charter Broadband internet connection,but now,thanks to ATT's usage cap,I have my Roku & Sky Angel boxes running on Charter Broadband & my PCs on ATT.

Yesterday I changed my DSL provider from AT&T to Earthlink. So when that takes place we will see how that works. Earthlink does cost a little more, but does not have any caps at this time.

Earthlink so far is at least 30% faster than my Att was, all I had to do is change log in info on existing Modem/Router. Time will tell the true story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts