AT&T or Verizon? Any differences?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I read on Howard Forums that Verizon will have 4g LTE on their entire network and most of their extended network by Summer of 2013. Who knows if they will or not.

For me , Verizon has better service. I had AT&T for several years and experienced connection problems from time to time and also dropped calls. I switched to Verizon 2 years ago and have never had a connection problem or a dropped call. I think Verizon is the better network. At least it is from my experience.

rvvaquero said:
I read on Howard Forums that Verizon will have 4g LTE on their entire network and most of their extended network by Summer of 2013. Who knows if they will or not.

I'll believe it when I see it here...

Well I guess unless something changes I'll be moving to Verizon. I looked over the family shared plans and with only 2 smartphones on my plan, both services are the exact same price. Both providers offer 4g LTE in my area and I haven't been able to find any differences in 4g technology. So I guess the only thing left is coverage. Although my AT&T coverage is fine where I live, it's really crappy at certain places I visit.

I too have an AT&T iphone and have been debating switching to Verizon a bit after the iphone 5 rollout. For me it is a little more financial decision too, as my contract isn't up until next April, but my upgrade date for AT&T is the start of November. So if I switch to Verizon I'd probably take a $250 range ETF between two phones.

I had a very nice opportunity yesterday to borrow a coworkers Verizon 4G LTE phone (an LG model). For me it was a chance to drive around to areas I spend any significant time, compare signal strength, and run a quick speedtest. I learned a lot, and at this point believe I will stay with AT&T due to their significantly better 3G/HSPA+ setup.

-4G LTE is VERY fast - downloads between 20-30 Mbps. Areas it covered on Verizon were pretty extensive, Lansing MI for example I drove about 30 miles around the city (literally a circle) and have solid 4G the whole time.

-Verizon 3G is VERY slow - between major cities or more rural areas like where I live their 3G was a solid signal - but very slow compared to AT&T. Generally I averaged around 0.5 Mbps.

-AT&T 3G with the HSPA+ (I think of it like 3.5G) - most of the towers have the improved backhaul and deliver solid speeds fast enough for video. Some areas would download 3-5 Mbps, but some were as good ad 12 Mbps. It's not 4G LTE, but it is more then enough for my needs.

-AT&T Edge - I did spend a little time in 2G areas on AT&T where Verizon had 3G, but they are not areas I would spend much time. If someone were to be in a 2G area, they may be better with Verizon even with the slower 3G speeds. AT&T Edge download was around 0.1 Mbps. A bit confusing is one area (St Johns MI) on AT&T's map showed 4G (HSPA+), but while traveling there all I ever got was a full signal, but Edge data.

So for my needs I think I'll be better with AT&T for my travels around central Michigan. There is some solid 4G LTE coverage from Verizon, but the areas where they aren't yet are really bad for data. AT&T and Verizon have pretty similar 3G coverages, but AT&T has much better 3G speeds.

Three more factors - I'll save the ETF, AT&T customer services seems more generous with discounts (I'm currently enjoying $40 off for 3 months after inquiring about my ETF and discussing Verizon with them). Lastly - I'm a bit afraid that having 20-30Mbps service will lead to a bit better quality video, while using a lot more bandwith on video. There is almost a small comfort knowing my bandwith is enough for video, but not too much ;)

AT&T appears to be trying to get the jump on the iPhone announcement by announcing 49 new LTE markets:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6245/att-announces-9-newly-lit-lte-markets-40-before-end-of-2012

9 on now, 40 more to come by end of year.

It will boost them up significantly in the % of population... But still be quite a ways behind VZ in land mass covered. Of course they do not plan on being done with the roll out until the end of next year.

Seriously I'm happy and annoyed at the same time with this. I'm happy to read that Hartford will FINALLY be getting LTE and I won't live my nightmare of having more time of my 2 year contract without LTE than with it, but why the hell is Bridgeport getting LTE before Hartford?? While I don't mean to disparage the fine people of Bridgeport, that's like putting a Four Seasons Hotel in the middle of downtown Compton, not to mention it won't touch as many people as putting it in Hartford would. And it wouldn't surprise me to see that Hartford gets it on 12/31/2012. Still, a little bit of hope as I was seriously considering biting the bullet and breaking contract to go to Verizon.

Seriously I'm happy and annoyed at the same time with this. I'm happy to read that Hartford will FINALLY be getting LTE and I won't live my nightmare of having more time of my 2 year contract without LTE than with it, but why the hell is Bridgeport getting LTE before Hartford?? While I don't mean to disparage the fine people of Bridgeport, that's like putting a Four Seasons Hotel in the middle of downtown Compton, not to mention it won't touch as many people as putting it in Hartford would. And it wouldn't surprise me to see that Hartford gets it on 12/31/2012. Still, a little bit of hope as I was seriously considering biting the bullet and breaking contract to go to Verizon.

Considering the main problem AT&T faces with its LTE roll out is lack of backhaul, I would assume they are still laying fiber or had some fiber delays in your area. It is probably a lot easier to get fiber around in rural/suburban areas than a major city. Again it goes back to AT&T not investing enough in the past and now having to play catch up.

Essentially the equipment is readily available, the towers are all built (i.e. they are already running voice/2G/3G), etc, but since they do not have the backhaul they cannot install the LTE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts