Status
Please reply by conversation.

scots

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the U-verse forum. At our old house we had AT&T U-verse (DSL, not fiber) internet and TV, and we were happy with it. They jacked the price up on TV, so I switched to DIRECTV (this was way before AT&T bought them) for better pricing on TV. We kept DIRECTV when we moved to our current house, and have had it for a total of about 5 and a half years from the old house to the current house. Not under a contract anymore. Really haven't had any major complaints with DIRECTV.

We just put an offer in on a new house, and 99% sure they're going to accept our offer. It's brand new construction, currently scheduled for completion on April 7. The new house has AT&T gigabit fiber and U-verse TV available. I can get gigabit speed internet plus the U-300 TV package (which includes Showtime and Starz) for a total price that's only $10 more than we're paying AT&T for DTV service only - and we have no premiums or extras currently. I actually wouldn't even be paying that entire bill. My work reimburses the internet portion of my bill (which is currently with CenturyLink) - so I'd only be paying the $75 for the U-300 TV. I would hope U-verse TV works just as well (and probably better) over fiber than it did over copper lines.

Do you think there would be any downside to switching to U-verse? Or do you guys think I should stick with DIRECTV? Like I said, we were very happy with U-verse TV before. Picture quality was always good, and never any issues. We really don't watch any sports other than some hockey every now and then (U-verse has Fox Sports South, which our team's games are on) - so sports isn't a deal breaker. We don't even normally watch the premium movie channels when we have them - so I could probably do U-200 for even less.

As long as that U Verse package has the channels you want, I'd say your ok.
Seeing its a new construction area with the FTTH set up, that means you have new plant to the house, you should be good..
If you were still in a copper fed area I might suggest staying with D* ... The U Verse stuff all depends on how far you are away from the Vrad and how well the plant is in the area.
With the Fiber to the home, its gotta be pretty new, so I don't see a problem with it.

While I like D* over the U Verse format, but thats personal preference as I have only used U Verse very little and have had D* for ever.

My experience with U Verse is just making sure its up and working for the sub, don't really get the opportunity to sit down and play with it although a friend has it and likes it very well.

Reactions: scots
well look at it this way. go with the AT&T boxs for now. they're Uverse stuff is only 1yr contract right? if you still dont like it after a year, switch back to D*, and you can probably get em to throw some discounts in again. win/win

Yes, U-verse is a 1-year contract. We liked it before when we had it at our old house (which was on copper DSL), so I'm sure it would be just as good (if not better) over fiber. After talking it over with my other half we're now thinking about cutting the cord and just going with streaming (which shouldn't be a problem with gigabit internet) and OTA. We're still on the fence about it at the moment, but it would cut out the $140/month bill from DTV - and $75/month bill for U-verse TV. The current projected completion of the house (it's still under construction) is April 7, so we have plenty of time to decide on TV service.

Yes, U-verse is a 1-year contract. We liked it before when we had it at our old house (which was on copper DSL), so I'm sure it would be just as good (if not better) over fiber. After talking it over with my other half we're now thinking about cutting the cord and just going with streaming (which shouldn't be a problem with gigabit internet) and OTA. We're still on the fence about it at the moment, but it would cut out the $140/month bill from DTV - and $75/month bill for U-verse TV. The current projected completion of the house (it's still under construction) is April 7, so we have plenty of time to decide on TV service.
Make sure you run cabling for everything you can think of ahead of time while building, this will give you options down the road.
If you do go Streaming and decide it isntbworking, you do have options of turning anything back on at that point.

Yeah - this builder installs HDMI outlets (also coax) down beside the fireplace up to above the fireplace in the living room in all their houses. I'm also having them run ethernet around the house. They're doing that plus a bunch of other things no extra charge. I made several changes to the finishes, added some things, and got an appliance package (fridge, washer, dryer). I found out it's a good thing being the first one into a neighborhood. The builder bends over backwards to get that first "sold" sign up because that brings other sales in to the neighborhood. :biggrin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)