AT&T to begin unlocking iPhones on 4-8

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Starting April 8th AT&T will begin unlocking iPhones that are no longer under contract.

AT&T to begin unlocking off-contract iPhones this Sunday, April 8th (update) -- Engadget

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

Good news for T-mobile customers!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

T-mobile uses different GSM frequencies than AT&T. You wiull be able to use it there but it will be painfully slow.

Unlocking of the iPhones was much easier than I thought. They unlocked a 4 and 4S for me today with no questions asked.

After unlocking your phone you are free to use any service whatever you want.

Not exactly. You cannot use a GSM phone on a CDMA carrier and vice versa. Also asboth I and hdtvtechno pointed out the two GSM carriers use different GSM frequencies so you won't get the same functionality.

T-Mobile has announced they are going to start putting 3G in the 1900 MHZ block which will make the iPhone start working with their 3G. So, at least in some areas the old iPhones could get new life on T-Mobile.

I thought there was another stumbling blck. Something about the AWS support in the iphone 4s.

Unlocked iPhone Spotted Running On T-Mobile’s 3G Network? It’s True…Sort Of | | TmoNewsTmoNews

A small, unknown factoid about how T-Mobile is handling some of its spectrum refarming is that in certain parts of the country, they are using the 1900MHz band (known as the PCS band) for HSPA+. We’ve come to expect that any time we’re talking about T-Mobile’s 3G and 4G phones, we’re talking about phones that operate on T-Mobile’s AWS band of 1700/2100. Well, depending on the part of the country we’re discussing, T-Mobile is utilizing spectrum on the 1900MHz band and because of this… Some unlocked iPhone users are picking up 3G signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)