jtn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Springfield, MA
AT&T to Stop Selling DirecTV in 2008 - Seeking Alpha
"AT&T to Stop Selling DirecTV in 2008 by Eric Savitz

"By David Savitz
Weird. In the satellite television sector one big pending piece of news has been what AT&T (T) was going to do about the fact that it has been reselling service from both Echostar (DISH) and DirecTV (DTV). The company has been selling DISH service in the old SBC territory, and DTV service in areas that had been served by BellSouth. The Street has been expecting the company to do the logical thing once current agreements expire and simply provide service from one satellite television company. Tuesday, with little fanfare, AT&T disclosed that it is going to stop selling DirecTV service in the 2008 first quarter. According to Reuters, though, AT&T said it is still evaluating its long-term relationship with both EchoStar and DirecTV with a view to making a decision in late 2008."

By this time next year , we will know whether DISH will have their relaunch in mpeg 4 completed and up and running. It is smart that ATT will re evaluate their relationship again next year, with both sat providers to see which one is at a better competitive advantage . IF DISH can pull it off and get all their sats up there, relaunch in mpeg , and compete with more hd than DIrectv , ATT will stay with them . After all they already have products intergrated with DISH sat service. IF 2008 turns out to be another crappy year in the way of sat launches for DISH , then ATT will go with DIRECTV , who will have the hd advantage.

I get a $10 credit from AT&T (formerly bellsouth) on my DIRECTV bill every month. I just hope I keep getting the credit, it would really suck to lose it.

Not weird at all. It was long predicted they would stay with Dish not Direct, and it makes great business sense to not completely rule out something with Direct TV in the future. I posted quite sometime ago they would not end their alliance with Dish based on some information at the time.

AT&T is run mostly still as the old SBC, and as they integrate Bellsouth, they're simply loosing the BLS way of doing things and BLS management. Not a huge surprise, especially considering the investment they have in the 2wire Dish/DSL combo boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)