Were You Grandfathered With The HD-Pack? If Not Time Has Ran Out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Will you be Grandfathered with the HD-pack is a question I'm sure some of you are asking... We are getting indications and rumor's that a Very small percentage of subscribers will be. You will have to fit a certain profile for this to happen...

Yes from what I understand 98% of the folks WON'T be grandfathered. The ones who will be are the ones with only MPEG2 equipment on the old HD package.

Also remember you can get another 3 months "Free Preview" of the new $4.99 HD package by going and logging into your DirecTV account on the 15th and selecting the HD Extra Package (after 3 months the normal $4.99 charge applies)

Sorry Hemi, thats not what I am being told... and my info is coming directly from DirecTV.

Again the number of folks grandfathered is going to be VERY VERY low.

Times like these I kinda wish I had a HD DVR. I could go and record all the HD movies I want off of HDNET Movies and store them. Wouldn't mind having Terminator and other movies to keep. My D* bill is high enough without adding an extra $5.

I figure the $5/month is worth it since I waited so long for the other channels to show up. My TV was not cheap, so bickering about $5/month is worthless anyway. I looked at the DireTC.com site where to add this for like 30 minutes and could not figure it out. That was probably good as I will wait til Sat to get the free preview. Is there a simple link to add this that I am missing. My thought was because I have an old viewer package, I may have to change it to add the HD pack. Do you know if that is the case?

Thanks

Sorry Hemi, thats not what I am being told... and my info is coming directly from DirecTV.

Again the number of folks grandfathered is going to be VERY VERY low.
Thats fine ,my source was from Directvs CEO's office as well.! And thats what I was told! Who's going to be grandfathered in? I can't see them giving it to some and not others. What would make someone qualify to be grandfathered in that would make everyone else thats been a long term HD subscriber of D* to not quailfy?I would have asked D* this myself if they told me a small number would be grandfathered but 98% won't.

The ones who will be are the ones with only MPEG2 equipment on the old HD package.
If this is true they should give it to them for free, since 3 out of 6 are MPEG 4, MHD, Smithsonian and MGM. If you want these channels your paying $4.99 per month. You can't be grandfathered into a package that hasn't existed yet. And nobody in their right mind is Going to continue to pay $9.99 for 10 HD channels when everyone else with Mpeg 4 equipment is paying the same price for aleast 60 HD channels depending on your packages. Directv knows what their doing.

Last edited:
If this is true they should give it to them for free, since 3 out of 6 are MPEG 4, MHD, Smithsonian and MGM. If you want these channels your paying $4.99 per month. You can't be grandfathered into a package that hasn't existed yet. And nobody in their right mind is Going to continue to pay $9.99 for 10 HD channels when everyone else with Mpeg 4 equipment is paying the same price for aleast 60 HD channels depending on your packages. Directv knows what their doing.

He brings a good point.
Free upgrade for everyone that has old MPEG2 receivers!

Yes from what I understand 98% of the folks WON'T be grandfathered. The ones who will be are the ones with only MPEG2 equipment on the old HD package.

Scott - I didn't understand why when I first read this - but what you are saying is that the legacy HD subs (with MPEG2 boxes/or 3lnb dishes) will still pay $9.99 for ALL of the MPEG2 HD channels.

Correct?

They really won't be getting the HD Extra pak - just continuing to pay the same and receive the same channels they get now.

If Directv is gonna give a 3 month free deal on the hd extra pak how would anyone find out about it if they dont check these forums? I have yet to get a mailing or email from them on the subject. Is it just a one day window to get the free 3 months or what? I don't so much mind the 5 bucks but it seems that they would communicate more directly with their customers.

Scott - I didn't understand why when I first read this - but what you are saying is that the legacy HD subs (with MPEG2 boxes/or 3lnb dishes) will still pay $9.99 for ALL of the MPEG2 HD channels.

Correct?

They really won't be getting the HD Extra pak - just continuing to pay the same and receive the same channels they get now.
Exactly!

If Directv is gonna give a 3 month free deal on the hd extra pak how would anyone find out about it if they dont check these forums? I have yet to get a mailing or email from them on the subject. Is it just a one day window to get the free 3 months or what? I don't so much mind the 5 bucks but it seems that they would communicate more directly with their customers.
Go on Directv.com,"Change programming" and you will see it.

Go on Directv.com,"Change programming" and you will see it.

The point still is how many people would know about it. I personally don't go into the Directv website to check or change my programming every month. I might go into it maybe once a year if I am lucky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts