AT&T “Top 5%” data user throttled down to 2G speeds

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
AT&T has been warning the top 5% of iPhone data users on their network for a while now that they’d start throttling their speeds. TiPb reader David, who previously got the infamous SMS nasty-gram, just received it again and since then can’t seem to get download speeds any faster than an EDGE-like 150Kbps.

His friends and co-workers are still getting full speed, ruling out a tower problem.
I called AT&T because I thought it was an issue with them and I did a trouble shooting session on the phone. After finishing they asked if I received any text from them and I replied “yes” and told them which one and that’s when AT&T told me “problem solved”. I asked how do I go from 14mbps to straight EDGE, bypassing 7.2mbps, and they couldn’t reply

Are you one of the top 5% who’ve previously received warnings from AT&T? Have you experienced any throttling this severe?
att_throttling_iphone_data.jpg

AT&T “Top 5%” data user throttled down to 2G speeds | TiPb

I want to know what where is the cutoff for the top 5%. How much data does one have to use to go into the top 5%?

The $%^& carriers brought this on themselves.
Promos showing how you could watch TV on your phone.
Phones with HDMI connectors, plugged into big TV sets!

The whole idea of mobile web sites are to reduce data usage, load time, and large layouts to fit our small screens.
If the sites we visit do that, it'll help.
However, if you use your phone as a mobile hot spot, and browse data-heavy web sites (like this one), it can get out of control.

There are apps which will log your data usage.
How much are you using to get the nasty-gram?

PS:
Yea, unlimited plan my @$$. ;)

I have a 2GB plan on my Verizon iPhone 4S. The most I used was last month when I was streaming Spotify and YouTube left and right and it was still only at 750MB for the month.

What do you guys do that uses so much data??

I have never understood how an iPhone user could ever exceed the 5GB "unlimited" or even the 2GB "pro" data plan. Whoever can do that must get a lot better signal than me and be constantly charging the battery. I have had my iPhone 4 for going on 18 months and have used less than 14GB total for the life of the phone, so about $32.14 per gigabyte. And believe me, I have tried to use the thing at every opportunity. I would have to more than double my usage to hit the cap and I just don't see it happening. 3G around here just ain't fast or reliable enough to stream anything bigger than a couple minutes youtube video.

Here is the problem. What constitutes the top 5% changes as data use changes. As more people use less data because they begin to throttle them, then the standard score (the amount of data used) for the 95 percentile decreases.

For example if the top 5% of data users currently use 3gb of data or more and are then throttles, their total usage will go down. Eventually the top 5% will then be less than 3gb. As they continue to throttle the top 5% and their data usage goes down as a result, the new standard minimum for the top 5% will continue to go down even further. Eventually it maybe anyone over 1.5gb of data usage per month may be in the top 5%.

Where do they draw the line? Is there an actual minimum they want everyone to be at so they can stop claiming that those over a set amount are in the top 5%? What is the current minimum amount of data one must used to be in the top 5%?

Last edited:
With my Skyrocket and Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (both are LTE), I can burn through 4GB in less than an hour. I got 47Mb/s downloads yesterday. Thats the highest I have gotten so far.

Neutron said:
I have a 2GB plan on my Verizon iPhone 4S. The most I used was last month when I was streaming Spotify and YouTube left and right and it was still only at 750MB for the month.

What do you guys do that uses so much data??

I have a Sirius subscription and I listen to talk programming all day at work. So from 830 to 5 every work day I'm streaming audio almost non stop. That adds up VERY quickly. I'm hovering around 6 gb every month. I'm basically stuck with at&t as a result. The Verizon plan is too expensive and I don't want to go to Sprint.

Did you consider just getting sirius radio for your needs? You might save with that. Many areas also have ground signals so you don't need a view to the sky to get sirius radio. I can pull my car into the garage and still get sirius radio.

When I travel, I will often exceed 5Gb for a week with streaming HD from my slingbox to my ipad. I have unlimited data.

Did you consider just getting sirius radio for your needs? You might save with that. Many areas also have ground signals so you don't need a view to the sky to get sirius radio. I can pull my car into the garage and still get sirius radio.

When I travel, I will often exceed 5Gb for a week with streaming HD from my slingbox to my ipad. I have unlimited data.
The iPad is not under the unlimited plan

Don Landis said:

Yes I have a regular radio as well, but sadly I don't get a signal in the office. There are a bunch of trees near the window and I feel weird stringing the antenna wire a long distance. Maybe I'll try stringing it a little longer.

Don Landis said:
No, but my Thunderbolt is and that's how I stream slingbox video to the ipad, through wifi tethering. Both my ipads are wifi only.

I do that as well. At&t hasn't picked up on it yet, which probably has to do with the fact that they don't care about nexus One users..

I have the 2 gig data package with AT@T and for me its been plenty.I think because of the huge increase in cell phone internet the last few years the carriers are in panic mode worried that they dont have the capacity to handle huge volumes of data.The smaller carriers that still do unlimited data are doing this to compete with the larger carriers.