AT&T will cap DSL and U-Verse internet, impose overage fees (update)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Interesting. I have no clue how much I use a month between streaming TV, Netflix, gaming and regular use. I would be surprised if it is that high though.

How many customers are affected by the cap? 5GB / day on average is a lot of data for a consumer account.

Streaming lots o' high def content could cause trouble though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I think this is going to cause problems with Netflix users. Streaming HD video content probably sucks up more bandwidth than being a heavy Torrent user. My cable company alluded that they would probably implement a similar system, but I really hope they don't. I don't do a ton of streaming but I do like my Netflix mini-marathons. I just hate knowing that there's a ceiling limit to how much I can do on the internet.

I will probably test the limit as soon as it starts. Live sports aside, the past few month I have been using netflix and vudu 90% of the time that the tv is on, in addition to our regular surfing, and my xbox live gaming. Who knows though, I may use alot less that I figure, but I doubt it.

2011: 98% of our customers will not be affected.
2012: 80% of our customers will not be affected.
2013: 60% .......
2014: (mum)

camel, nose, tent.

I just have DSL with a UVerse router.

Anybody know if this UVerse router has a bandwidth meter and if I could check it and reset it so I could count exactly how much I'm using per month? I guess I could download a bandwidth meter from the internet but I'm guessing that wouldn't count the usage I would have when I use my Xbox and my computer is off.

Comcast also has the same cap number and if I do not monitor very close each week I can get to the limit easily! Most of my friends are the same way. 250GB is crap and they all know it. Its close to a "golden number" for them they will catch many customers in unexpected billing type situations.

Tecmo SB Guy said:
I just have DSL with a UVerse router.

Anybody know if this UVerse router has a bandwidth meter and if I could check it and reset it so I could count exactly how much I'm using per month? I guess I could download a bandwidth meter from the internet but I'm guessing that wouldn't count the usage I would have when I use my Xbox and my computer is off.

Supposedly there will be a site available on Friday to see your usage.

Comcast also has the same cap number and if I do not monitor very close each week I can get to the limit easily! Most of my friends are the same way. 250GB is crap and they all know it. Its close to a "golden number" for them they will catch many customers in unexpected billing type situations.
I disagree...250GB is more than enough bandwidth. If customers are going to stream, then they're going to pay for sucking-up all these resources. Additionally, it's not fair that Cable and Telco customers pay cable franchise fees (heck, AT&T U-Verse is IPTV-based) when others (Netflix, Hulu, Dish/SATS, DirecTV and others) are getting a free pass. The way I see it...if you're going to stream video then you should pay for the bandwidth in addition to local taxes/franchise fees; both D* and E* are a free to provide video to customer via satellite transponders, but they should have to pay cable franchise fees for streaming subscription-based video to their customers. Usage tiers are fair (IMO). Also, lift the local taxes/franchise fees from Cable/Telcos or require D*, E* and other subscription video sources (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) to pay these fees.

From AT&T's Website, http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=82DGrPi0s6x:

How will AT&T help me to monitor my usage?
AT&T will provide a website with two options to assist customers in managing their High Speed Internet usage.

First, AT&T will provide a personal usage report at www.MyUsage.att.com where customers can view how much actual data they have used in a given month from the January 2011 bill cycle to the most recent billing cycle. To protect confidential customer information, this site is password-protected. The login process requires your Internet access login and password. The login is your AT&T primary account email address (e.g., John_smith@att.net). The password is the same password used to access your att.net homepage and primary email account.

AT&T initially will report usage data on a weekly basis. When a customer uses 70% of their monthly usage allowance, we will supplement their personal usage report on a daily basis. A customer's usage will be posted on the website within 1 - 4 days after it is collected.
I wish it was a real-time bandwidth meter. I only have DSL so I'm working with the 150 GB cap.

I did download some free bandwidth meters off the Internet yesterday but I cannot find one that will measure the bandwidth my Xbox uses. If anyone here knows of one please let me know.

I just went to the site, and found:
The U-verse data measurement report is currently under construction. When completed, you will be notified if your usage exceeds the allowance. Until that time, U-verse customers should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage

Yeah I'm getting something different when I log into that:

We're sorry, but we're unable to display your Internet usage.
You must access this tool using your primary AT&T U-verse or DSL account.
Please try again.

But I am logging into my primary DSL account.

If TWC pulled this crap with me, I will switch to FiOs. I know some of you have no other options, but those that do should probably consider switching providers

unlimited internet up to 250gb what a crock. I have charter and some say they have a cap but i have yet to have any problems with them yet.

mon-fri im about 5-20gb an day Sat and Sunday 100Gb + each day. so i blow through the cap ez in a week and they have not contacted me nor do i see a huge bill for my service.

My cell provider dose now cap for new users but im on the old unlimited plan pulling 3-7gb a day .

ATT is the devil.
watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Comcast caps our use at 250Gb, but at least their website has a use meter. We have FiOS at our other house, but I don't believe they meter usage.
Neither TWC nor FiOs has caps and both service my area. If both did put caps I would go over during the summer as I will be streaming a lot of baseball through MLB.TV

I was able to login, but it says I've used 0GB each of the past 2 months....obviously thats incorrect. Does anybody know how they monitor bandwidth usage? I'm no longer using the 2wire gateway that ATT gave me...im using an older DSL modem and my own router. Could that have something to do with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts