At the end of 2 year price lock?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
As the end of this two year price protection fast approaches I was wondering about others experience.

Do they just automatically go back to full retail?
Do they offer another two year lock?
Is it negotiable?

Been looking at PS Vue for the last few days and am actually in my 5 day free trial period. Other than a funky guide it’s pic quality is good with no lagging .

I’m paying $88.99 all in plus taxes right now for the Top 200, locals, dvr, 2 joeys. That will go up to a minimum of $108.99 plus taxes at the end of my two year agreement unless they give somewhere!

PS Vuewould cost me $54.99 plus taxes for the Elite package which to me is pretty close to the Top 200 after you pull all of the advertising, music and pay movie channels out of it.

Granted the guide is a total learning experience on PS Vue but this looks like a no brained to me. I would purchase some type of DVR for my locals that I receive OTA but that is a minimal cost when looking at the total savings potential. I have several Fire Sticks already so no outlay there.

What am I missing? Thanks

Reactions: dolfan3033
Everything is negotiable. That said, I wouldn't expect much unless you call to cancel, and then retention might offer you some deal. If you can receive your locals reliably, you could drop $10 off your Dish bill by adding an OTA adapter to your Hopper as well.

You just received 24 months of discounted programming, now you expect additional discounts. Go with PSVue at $54.99 and enjoy it.

Well since you brought it up yes, only an idiot would throw his money away without pursuing options! The only loyalty I have is to my wallet. Of course I could stay with DISH and pay $660 a year more than Vue for the 12 months! Wow, now that sounds intelligent!

Been looking at PS Vue for the last few days and am actually in my 5 day free trial period. Other than a funky guide it’s pic quality is good with no lagging .

I’m paying $88.99 all in plus taxes right now for the Top 200, locals, dvr, 2 joeys. That will go up to a minimum of $108.99 plus taxes at the end of my two year agreement unless they give somewhere!

PS Vuewould cost me $54.99 plus taxes for the Elite package which to me is pretty close to the Top 200 after you pull all of the advertising, music and pay movie channels out of it.

Granted the guide is a total learning experience on PS Vue but this looks like a no brained to me. I would purchase some type of DVR for my locals that I receive OTA but that is a minimal cost when looking at the total savings potential. I have several Fire Sticks already so no outlay there.

What am I missing? Thanks

Vue is great for me, love paying $44.99 a month with no box, locals or sports fees.

The only thing you have to be careful with if you have a data cap, any savings by leaving Dish would be offset by paying for unlimited/extra data.

I do not have a Data Cap and good thing since I average about 1.5 TB a month, if you do have a cap it might be better for you to try and get a better deal from Dish instead.

The one caveat to switching every time your contract runs out is that data is collected and reported the next time you want Dish, DirecTV, Spectrum, etc. Depending on how they use that information, you may not be able to get the best new customer pricing in the future.

I’m in the same boat as OP. My price lock is about to end in a few months and have been testing Vue. I’m lucky enough to not have data caps and have all my locals.. which makes things easier. I’m torn and go back and forth about switching. Even with the promos, Vue is significantly cheaper.. especially with a bunch of TVs. Love the Hopper 3.. best DVR out there, but it gets harder and harder to justify the price hikes of traditional TV providers. Gotta think about the price hike next year.. and the year after that.. I don’t think it’s sustainable.

My thinking is even if they give me the same discount as I have now, and HBO for 10 that I have now, best case scenario is that it’ll still be well above the price for Vue.. it doesn’t hurt that Vue also doesn’t charge me taxes.

Reactions: pattykay
My advice is research the local cable company, Directv, and streaming options.

Wtill the bill arrives with the new rate.

Call and act all shocked, say you where told it was never going to go up.

Threaten to cancel and start bringing up your research.

If they don’t make a deal on the spot, cancel and post date the cancellation 2-3 days in the future.

Make sure Your cell phone is listed as the primary contact number.

Wait for the phone call begging you to stay

Reactions: dishcomm and Tampa8
Vue is great for me, love paying $44.99 a month with no box, locals or sports fees.

The only thing you have to be careful with if you have a data cap, any savings by leaving Dish would be offset by paying for unlimited/extra data.

I do not have a Data Cap and good thing since I average about 1.5 TB a month, if you do have a cap it might be better for you to try and get a better deal from Dish instead.

No data caps. Thanks for the input.

The one caveat to switching every time your contract runs out is that data is collected and reported the next time you want Dish, DirecTV, Spectrum, etc. Depending on how they use that information, you may not be able to get the best new customer pricing in the future.

I have played the spin the cable roulette wheel for many years now. I have always managed to get the new customer discounts after a certain “cooling down” period. It’s got to the point they don’t even cut the others cable when hooking theirs back up and the dishes are just left in place.

I’m in the same boat as OP. My price lock is about to end in a few months and have been testing Vue. I’m lucky enough to not have data caps and have all my locals.. which makes things easier. I’m torn and go back and forth about switching. Even with the promos, Vue is significantly cheaper.. especially with a bunch of TVs. Love the Hopper 3.. best DVR out there, but it gets harder and harder to justify the price hikes of traditional TV providers. Gotta think about the price hike next year.. and the year after that.. I don’t think it’s sustainable.

My thinking is even if they give me the same discount as I have now, and HBO for 10 that I have now, best case scenario is that it’ll still be well above the price for Vue.. it doesn’t hurt that Vue also doesn’t charge me taxes.

Cannot deal with the Vue guide at all. My wife just looked at me like I was from another galaxy, it’s so bad it kind of reminds me of a DOS platform prior to the advent of Windows or IOS.

Next up is Sling. With the packages I’m interested in it seems to be $5 more a month than Vue. That’s with the Orange/Blue, Lifestyle and Sport packages. Hopefully it’s reliable.

On a side note has anyone used the TIVO Bolt Vox and if so what are your thoughts? Thanks again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No data caps. Thanks for the input.

I have played the spin the cable roulette wheel for many years now. I have always managed to get the new customer discounts after a certain “cooling down” period. It’s got to the point they don’t even cut the others cable when hooking theirs back up and the dishes are just left in place.

Cannot deal with the Vue guide at all. My wife just looked at me like I was from another galaxy, it’s so bad it kind of reminds me of a DOS platform prior to the advent of Windows or IOS.

Next up is Sling. With the packages I’m interested in it seems to be $5 more a month than Vue. That’s with the Orange/Blue, Lifestyle and Sport packages. Hopefully it’s reliable.

On a side note has anyone used the TIVO Bolt Vox and if so what are your thoughts? Thanks again.

I hear you about the Vue guide.. the thing with Vue is that not all platforms are created equal. The guide on the fireTV is vertical, but it’s horizontal on the roku (if you have the latest version of 8.0). Personally, I don’t think it’s too bad.. just different. My wife’s biggest complaint about Vue is that you can’t “delete” any DVR recordings.. since that’s not how that DVR works. Also, no Viacom channels.

All the OTT providers have some kind of issue. Sling for example is not 60fps..which stinks when watching sports. Directv now doesn’t have a DVR.. Hulu with live TVs interface is awful and YouTube tv has a lot of gaps in its channel lineup and only supports chrome cast at this point.

None of the services are going to give you the simplicity as Dish (or any traditional tv provider).. turning on the tv and tune to a channel number.

However, it’s all about cost savings versus convenience, and everyone decides based on their needs.

Reactions: lgb0250

And you might be able to continue to do so, especially if you also use a spouse's name every time you spin the wheel. I wish you the best of luck with this as I also like to do this. I was just pointing out that these companies appear to be taking steps to reduce this practice, even going so far as to create a new credit rating based entirely on how good a customer you are. I assume how well you pay on time and other factors are included, but apparently how often you switch is a prime factor.

Reactions: lgb0250
Streaming has come a long way. Still for me not good enough to depend on. Wind storms, general outages, car accidents into poles are just too often that disrupt our internet connection. Charter has been very good where speed is concerned but since the tropical storm here (was a hurricane before reaching us) we have had several short outages on and off. It took 13 days to get it back after the storm. In Ct the extreme cold has snapped lines twice now. I have had DISH something like 20 years and have not lost the satellite signal in all those years as many times as our internet has been out just over the last few months. Another consideration, If I want to stream in HD on my Slingbox any other usage other than surfing can't be done. We could not have me watch Boston Sports from Tampa with my Sling set up and someone else stream TV.
There are other considerations that make me stay with DISH but if I don't get a discount when my excellent current customer deal runs out I may be forced to make a decision likely Directv if they have decent new customer deals at that time. Nothing beats satellite for me.

Streaming has come a long way. Still for me not good enough to depend on. Wind storms, general outages, car accidents into poles are just too often that disrupt our internet connection. Charter has been very good where speed is concerned but since the tropical storm here (was a hurricane before reaching us) we have had several short outages on and off. It took 13 days to get it back after the storm. In Ct the extreme cold has snapped lines twice now. I have had DISH something like 20 years and have not lost the satellite signal in all those years as many times as our internet has been out just over the last few months. Another consideration, If I want to stream in HD on my Slingbox any other usage other than surfing can't be done. We could not have me watch Boston Sports from Tampa with my Sling set up and someone else stream TV.
There are other considerations that make me stay with DISH but if I don't get a discount when my excellent current customer deal runs out I may be forced to make a decision likely Directv if they have decent new customer deals at that time. Nothing beats satellite for me.
WOW Tampa8, you can't do it! You know DISH is the bestest. Nothing like the Hopper 3 system. You sadden me! :(

WOW Tampa8, you can't do it! You know DISH is the bestest. Nothing like the Hopper 3 system. You sadden me! :(

Lol I fully expect DISH to give another discount when the current deal ends. I pay 100% on time (recent years auto pay) and as I said a customer almost since their begining with the highest or next to highest package all that time. Just thinking ahead. :)

Lol I fully expect DISH to give another discount when the current deal ends. I pay 100% on time (recent years auto pay) and as I said a customer almost since their begining with the highest or next to highest package all that time. Just thinking ahead. :)

I bet and hope DISH will work with you. I need to do something too next year. I pay full price for everything and have lots of packages. Finally cancelled an Adult channel I had for over seven years. Bill is creeping up again. Got to do something. But I would never go to the dark side. LOL ;)