At wits end with Hopper standby then freeze each night at 1am while watching. BUNK!

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I only have one issue but its huge in my eyes! I work swing shift so I start watching TV about midnight. Each night at 1am exactly the box wants to turn off to look for updates. If I catch it I simply answer NO and all is good. However if I am in the kitchen, out of room, or simply do not catch it all hell breaks loose. After it goes black screen I guess looking for update. I can not bring it back on. The remote does nothing, I have to hit red reset button and usually this works. However 3 times now with last night being latest even hitting reset or last case unplugging does nothing.

Hopper will come up and say STARTING and then just seem to go into a power boot loop. I can hit Menu but only get icons and nothing shows in my DVR, no menu, can not watch TV. Just locks up and continues to look. Luckily after a couple hours it will come back up and I have not lost any recordings and works like it should. However this is very frustrating. I have looked and can not find a selection to turn off the update search or move time.

BUMMER!

if it starts to reboot for the update, i don't think you would want to interfere with it updating. that might be what is causing it to go into the reboot loop. if you don't want it to update at that time then set a timer to record something at 1:00a.m. also you might want to set one at 2 and 3 since it will try to update at the top of the hour. it would be nice for the swing shift people if you could set the update for a time when you aren't watching tv.

I have to agree, you may be inadvertently making your complaint worse. Once it starts the update you should let it just do it and wait, and that could take awhile. Setting a timer for that time is a good idea to prevent it but it will do it at sometime.

Thanks guys! Yes I talked to tech and they said its a known issue and hopefully a future (don't held your breath) update will allow to move the 1am UPDATE time as its a real pain for people like me that work second shift. I will try setting a 1am and 2am timer and report back.

He said I must have caught it in an actual update last night and am lucky I did not brick the box.

With the old ViP boxes, you had the ability to choose the update time. They took that away with the XiP's and I don't know why...it's irritating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)