Atlanta, only one HD broadcaster?

xccell

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
I live in Jackson Co. about 1 hour northeast from Atlanta. I have a Hitachi with a built in HD tuner. At first when I hooked up my cheap pair of bunny ears to the antenna input of the tv I could barely pick up channel eleven's HD signal. I then decided to put the bunny ears (RCA multi direction antenna $6) in the attic and ran a 20' coax cable from it to the tv. Now I pick up channel 11 Alive crystal clear.:)
My question is, are their any other Atlanta stations broadcasting HD that maybe my little bunny ears are not seeing?
I did a automatic digital single search but every time on 11 comes up, which is fine by me because I pick it up for free and I still can't believe it! But I would like to know if anyone else from this area can share some info.

Thanks for the link. I don't think it is updated though, I still shows the HD channel I pick up as analog.

By moving around a little bit on the antennaweb.org map I got this.

* blue - uhf WTBS-DT 17.1 TBS ATLANTA GA 247° 40.3 20
* blue - vhf WXIA-DT 11.1 NBC ATLANTA GA 243° 41.6 10
* violet - vhf WGTV-DT 12 PBS ATHENS GA 07-08 238° 30.8 12
* violet - uhf WUPA-DT 43.1 UPN ATLANTA GA 243° 43.4 43
* violet - uhf WAGA-DT 5.1 FOX ATLANTA GA 246° 40.3 27
* violet - uhf WATL-DT 36.1 WB ATLANTA GA 247° 40.3 25
* violet - uhf WUVG-DT 34.1 UNI ATHENS GA 247° 40.3 48

A Channel Master 4228 on your roof with a preamp might get you the violet stations.

xccell said:
Thanks I didn't see all that, I'll look into it.
Jackson County is to far from the towers with out using an outdoor antenna and and amp.
The CM 4228 is the most recomended for the Metro Atlanta area. The antenna you are using is not strong enough to pick up the UHF stations-which is all but CH11 ( actually broadcasts on Ch10 VHF)

This is a Yahoo site specific to Atlanta and HD

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! All the info is very good and Jim thanks for the help with the antenna and pre amp. I will be on my way to better HD in no time.