Atlanta's WPCH blocked

yomama

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Atlanta (swburbs)
Anyone know whats up with this latest negotiation ?

DISH is also blocking the guide from the OTA signal :mmph:

100_0118.JPG

I hope this one gets resolved soon. I live in the Atlanta area and WPCH carries a lot of the Braves games and is the local SEC network affiliate. Hopefully they will get this worked out before baseball season.

Will this effect everyone that gets Peachtree tv or just those in the Atlanta area? I live in the north Georgia area, not in the immediate Atlanta area. I have never gotten Peachtree tv before but Dish will feed just the Braves games only in around channel 450. Does this effect these games also?

no the games in the Atlanta MLB area but outside of ATL proper wont be affected
Different agreement.

Unfornutely I live in the Atlanta DMA and WPCH was one of the local channels. I will find out shortly as the baseball season is approaching. I think that about 40% of the Atlanta Braves games are carried by WPCH. If these games disappear from DISH, it might lead many of us Brave fans to change providers. I hope that an agreement is reached before the baseball season starts and Atlanta does not become like New York city for DISH sports fans. I was able to watch SEC network basketball games on various HD sport network or ALT channels, but I doubt that this will work for the Braves games.

Apples (get it) and Peaches (get it) .....

NY situation is strictly RSN's yours is a local channel. Locals seem to come back, no betting on an RSN.
I am understanding you don't want to miss the games, but good luck if you decide to go to another provider over just this, have you been reading the posts about other providers going through the same thing?

Apples (get it) and Peaches (get it) .....

NY situation is strictly RSN's yours is a local channel. Locals seem to come back, no betting on an RSN.
I am understanding you don't want to miss the games, but good luck if you decide to go to another provider over just this, have you been reading the posts about other providers going through the same thing?

I know TWC had a dispute with MSG but it was resolved. Besides that I haven't heard of many channel pulls on the other providers but you're right local channels aren't the same as RSNs. This local channel just does happen to carry a large amount of RSN type programming (baseball).

I check both the Dish and Directv forums on this site daily and lately it seems like almost every week there is a new thread about a local channel dispute on the Dish forum. I dont think the the same the same thing can be said about the Directv side. I'm sure there are some but it is becoming common practice for Dish to pull channels.

Dish is serving me well but if I were the OP and this channel wasn't back on April 5th (opening day) I would be gone for sure. I wouldn't worry about what Tampa said about other providers. The fact is Dish already pulled the channel. I wouldn't stay with them out of fear that my future provider may one day pull the channel too. I think you will be pretty safe with either Directv or your local cable provider.

Hopefully Dish will get it back before then and you won't have to deal with the hassle of switching providers.

Last edited:
WPCH is the SEC Nework outlet for the Atlanta DMA. Since DISH no longer carries it, I can not watch the SEC basketball tournament. In April when the Mlb season begins, I will not be able to watch a large number of the Braves games. WPCH is a local station that carries a substantial amount of sports and might be similiar to a sports network in carriage disputes. I certainly hope that it gets resolved shortly so that I do not have to change carriers! My 3 alternate carriers all carry WPCH and all of the other sports.

Most likely they will get it back eventually. It all depends on how long you are willing to wait. I personally would be gone opening day if it isn't resolved.

I would hate to miss the big ten conference tournament so I feel your pain missing the sec tourny but it's to late to switch for that now.

This dispute is with the company who has the licensing agreement to operate WPCH with Time Warner, and not directly with Time Warner, right? Because if this continued I could see the slew of Turner cable networks becoming fair game if it's the latter.

I don't know but hopefully it's just for the local channel. TBS, TNT, TruTV, CNN, HLN, NBATV, TCM.... those are just the ones I know off the top of my head. There are probably more.

Edit: I just looked at their website. They also own Boomerang and Cartoon Network. I'm guessing its just the local channel. Not even Dish would try to get away with dropping TBS, TNT, CNN or Cartoon Network. These are some of the most basic cable networks there are.

Last edited:
Seems like the dispute must be with Time Warner rather than Meredith. If it was with Meredith, I would think that both WPCH and WGCL CBS 46 would have been removed from the Dish lineup.

I don't know but hopefully it's just for the local channel. TBS, TNT, TruTV, CNN, HLN, NBATV, TCM.... those are just the ones I know off the top of my head. There are probably more.

Edit: I just looked at their website. They also own Boomerang and Cartoon Network. I'm guessing its just the local channel. Not even Dish would try to get away with dropping TBS, TNT, CNN or Cartoon Network. These are some of the most basic cable networks there are.

The dispute is with the local channel over the retransmission fees requested by WPCH which carries many Atlanta Braves and SEC Football and Basketball games. They are apparently far apart. Would like to upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys, but will not commit to a 2 year contract without this being resolved. There will be a lot of pressure on Dish when the baseball season starts, but WPCH has lost a lot of viewers because of being off Dish. Getting sick of these disputes!