ATSC 3.0 off-air support

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Just a couple of days ago, one of my local channels started putting banners up that on December 10 it was switching to the ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard. It is replacing the current frequency with the ATSC 3.0 signal. But it will be still transmitting ATSC 1.0 on another, not sure if it will be a sub-channel or not, and they recommend that after December 3 that everyone does a re-scan.

The question, is obviously, ATSC 3.0 is no longer just a RFQ but has been established as a standard. Does anyone know if DIsh will be offering a replacement to the OTA modules to support ATSC 3.0 or are there other brands already out there that will support it?

I think it’ll be years before Dish produces such, if ever. Very slow roll out, and no need for it. ATSC 1 signal must be broadcast for at least five years after ATSC 3 broadcasts begin.

There is no product to receive ATSC 3 and feed it into a Dish receiver.

I think it will be easy, though, once the time has come. Just replace the 2-tuner ATSC1 dongle with a quad tuner ATSC3 dongle. :D
Actually ATSC3 will have the opportunity to carry both UHD and HDR so it would be more than just the dongle in play. The receivers would need to be able to process the output signal.

See an abundance of ATSC 3 TVs crowding the shelves at your local Walmart or Best Buy? Me neither. How about OTA converters? Uh-uh, not those either. ATSC 3 tuner boxes? Nope. Methinks they be jumping the gun just a wee bit.

Reactions: navychop
See an abundance of ATSC 3 TVs crowding the shelves at your local Walmart or Best Buy? Me neither. How about OTA converters? Uh-uh, not those either. ATSC 3 tuner boxes? Nope. Methinks they be jumping the gun just a wee bit.

They say 5 years before 1.0 gets shut off. I don't see it. It may be 10, or even ever...As you said, few TVs or tuners. You have to go looking for a tuner and I do not think the public cares. The same with HD Radio.

Who is "they"? There are about a dozen channels nationwide with ATSC 3.0 transmitters.

I got my ATSC 3 silicon dust tuner a week ago. So far I use a roku speaker, amazon stick and a nvidio to play it. The roku program guide is on the bottom of the tv screen. and the other players have it on the right side. So far just playing ATSC 1 channels and tuner gets all ota signals well. I will have two separate markets, Pittsburg and cleaveland. I think that Silicon Dust needs a better app or software to make it easier to use. You have to either use a cell phone or PC to do a channel scan. Since I do not have a cell phone I will have to use my pc to do a rescan everytime I move my antenna. I shouldn,t need to run my PC to watch tv. I hope TABLO makes an ATSC-3 tuner as this silicon dust would be looking for a new owner.

Reactions: madmadworld
I got my ATSC 3 silicon dust tuner a week ago. So far I use a roku speaker, amazon stick and a nvidio to play it. The roku program guide is on the bottom of the tv screen. and the other players have it on the right side. So far just playing ATSC 1 channels and tuner gets all ota signals well. I will have two separate markets, Pittsburg and cleaveland. I think that Silicon Dust needs a better app or software to make it easier to use. You have to either use a cell phone or PC to do a channel scan. Since I do not have a cell phone I will have to use my pc to do a rescan everytime I move my antenna. I shouldn,t need to run my PC to watch tv. I hope TABLO makes an ATSC-3 tuner as this silicon dust would be looking for a new owner.

I have been reading the HDHomeRun user’s forum. They have been having a lot of issues with the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. They are very responsive to the problems and keep on pushing out new firmware revisions. Part of the problem is the fact that broadcasters use different configurations for their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts. Hopefully by next year things will become more stable. ATSC 3.0 is so new that everyone should expect problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

AND- Are ATSC stations sending their signals over the Internet? They don’t have to duplicate the ATSC 1 signal, do they? Much greater capacity.

I wonder if ATSC 3 is a new buggy whip.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think ATSC 3.0 will be stuck in the “lighthouse phase” for at least 5 to 10 years.
The lighthouse stations will be where the ATSC 3.0 version of a DMA’s main HD channels will be located.
Remaining ATSC 1.0 stations will probably down res their 1.0 main channel duplicates to make room for other subchannels. They will say if u want HD get a new ATSC 3.0 tv or tuner box for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
Sad, but true. But it may be a fool’s bet. By then, OTA may be once again, passé.

What do you mean that ATSC 3.0 will be in the lighthouse stage? Since I will be 76 in a few months I probably don,t have 5 or 10 years. The ATSC 3 tuner gives me a chance to decide whether I think it will just keep using my old tv or get a new sony ATSC 3 tv or just keep using my old 67 inch Samsung which still has a good picture that suits me just fine.

What is supposed to happen (in theory) is as stations light up 3.0 transmitters, 1.0 transmissions all go to one station. That station has the big 4 on one frequency (the light house), and 3.0 on a separate frequency. All other stations put up 3.0 on their "normal" frequency. At some point (years down the road), the lighthouse goes dark and 3.0 is only thing left.

Current 3.0 transmissions (as I understand it) are on "test" frequencies and I don't know if there's more than one frequency per market.

I remember when color tv came out. We had three station back then and all three broadcast color instead of B&W, before color tvs were really available at a realistic price. Everyone loved the NBC peacocks color wings. Its kind of like going from LED to OLED, they take a few years for the prices to come down.

I remember when color tv came out. We had three station back then and all three broadcast color instead of B&W, before color tvs were really available at a realistic price. Everyone loved the NBC peacocks color wings. Its kind of like going from LED to OLED, they take a few years for the prices to come down.
It was before my time, but broadcasters didn't have to change transmission formats, right? Sure, they broadcast in color, but B&W sets would still receive the signal and display it, right? Not like the transition from analog to digital or ATSC 1.0 to 3.0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts