ATSC 3.0 off-air support

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What is supposed to happen (in theory) is as stations light up 3.0 transmitters, 1.0 transmissions all go to one station. That station has the big 4 on one frequency (the light house), and 3.0 on a separate frequency. All other stations put up 3.0 on their "normal" frequency. At some point (years down the road), the lighthouse goes dark and 3.0 is only thing left.

Current 3.0 transmissions (as I understand it) are on "test" frequencies and I don't know if there's more than one frequency per market.
Thanks for the explanation of Lighthouse. When I get my tower back up I want to try the pittsburg 3.0 channels with my HD Homerun tuner box. I will be using my big channel master movable antenna for the hd homerun. For now I only want to use the HD Homerun for pittsburg since its the only city that has 3.0 channels at present. You have to use the PC to do channel scans, (BAD Feature). I want to use other tuners to scan other antenna positions. Thinking of useing an A B switch. Using A for Homerun and B for all other antenna positions. Might even try using a 3/4 multi switch.

They are already selling the hd homerun ATSC-3 tuner. They ordered a lot more of them than what they sold in the Kickstarter. . I ordered mine and got it in about a week. $199.00 shipped

Reactions: TheKrell
What do you mean that ATSC 3.0 will be in the lighthouse stage? Since I will be 76 in a few months I probably don,t have 5 or 10 years. The ATSC 3 tuner gives me a chance to decide whether I think it will just keep using my old tv or get a new sony ATSC 3 tv or just keep using my old 67 inch Samsung which still has a good picture that suits me just fine.
IMHO, stick with the Samsung until the ATSC 3.0 dust settles.

Reactions: solarvic
Can only imagine trying to record 4K on the 722k (ignoring all the obvious reasons why it can't) and being able to record 1 to 2 hours of 4K on the hard drive.

Can only imagine trying to record 4K on the 722k (ignoring all the obvious reasons why it can't) and being able to record 1 to 2 hours of 4K on the hard drive.
You don't have to imagine that. Just hook up a 4K Joey to a Hopper Duo and try it. The Hopper Duo uses the exact same size hard drive as a 722k. (In fact, the hard drive in a Hopper Duo was likely recovered from an old 722k and refurbished to be reused in the Duo.) I have never actually tried this, of course. Still, since the Hopper Duo is capable of handling HEVC compression, I would imagine that it would store more than just 1 or 2 hours of 4K.

How would one do that when 4K channels do not appear on non-4K receivers?

How would one do that when 4K channels do not appear on non-4K receivers?
That is a good question, even with my example of a 4K Joey connected to a Hopper Duo. I am assuming that someone here actually has tried this with a 4K Joey and a HWS. I am also assuming that the timer would need to be set from the Joey. In the case of the 722k, that was obviously a purely hypothetical scenario.

Reactions: TheKrell
A dozen local channels to serve 210 local markets. Yeah, that seems ready to go mainstream everywhere.
There are currently 14 markets broadcasting ATSC 3.0.

It is expected, and planned, for there to be 62 markets broadcasting by the middle of next year (~8 months). This isn't being slow-rolled by any means. Those 62 markets are expected to be able to reach approximately 75% of households in the US.

I will also add that ATSC 3.0 tuner chips are going to be built-in to many televisions next year.

Last edited:
Will that be one network per market? How many markets will have all of the Big Four broadcast in ATSC 3?

Will that be one network per market? How many markets will have all of the Big Four broadcast in ATSC 3?
If I understand correctly, all of the Big Four (and maybe some other main local channels) will all share the one ATSC 3 frequency as subchannels, at least at first. I wonder if the primary station running the ATSC 3 broadcast tower has to be a station that is already affiliated with one of the networks. I know what I would like to see happen eventually in my area of Ohio is for independent low-power station WOHZ to strike a deal to simulcast all of the major network affiliates from Cleveland as subchannels. Right now, the only thing WOHZ broadcasts is a simulcast of one of the subchannels of its sister station, WMFD. I think the only reason WOHZ still exists is so that WMFD can force that subchannel onto the local cable system as a must-carry station, since a subchannel would not qualify for must-carry, but a primary station would. (The cable rules allow for low-power stations to have must-carry status, while the satellite rules do not.) So, in a hypothetical world where WOHZ is broadcasting in ATSC 3, they could continue to serve that same purpose (simulcasting WMFD's subchannel) with their primary channel, and still have enough bandwidth available to serve as a translator for all of the major networks. This would help fill-in an OTA coverage gap between Cleveland and Columbus, and help the Cleveland stations come closer to actually serving their entire DMA OTA. Or, if the Cleveland affiliates do not go for this deal, then maybe WOHZ could simulcast the network affiliates from Columbus, and possibly flip Richland County to the Columbus DMA instead. I would be quite happy with that scenario.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)