ATSC 3.0 on translators?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I will be visiting my relatives in the Kingman, AZ area in December and they always have antenna questions and problems for me. I was checking the rabbitears listing for Kingman and see that the translator for Phoenix's CW affiliate at virtual 61 shows as carrying four HD signals from the parent transmitter in Phoenix which has gone to ATSC 3.0. However, the Kingman translator itself is not designated as ATSC 3.0.
Is this the correct interpretation? Can a single translator carry 4 HDTV signals in good quality and finally, will translators simply pass along ATSC 3.0 without any equipment upgrades at the site or will it be like the last digital transition where some translators are still analog after over 10 years?

I don't know for sure but I suspect the ATSC3 would simply be passed along. If not, then there would have to be some significant transcoding equipment.

Reactions: N5XZS
Quite honestly, I have no idea what the KASW translator is up to in Kingman, but I am confident that it is probably not in ATSC 3.0. The old listing remains until I get an update as to what it actually is doing.

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)