ATSC tuner

copperjockey

Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Looking for a standalone tuner for my parents Panasonic PT-50LC13 (if the tuner incorporated a DVR it would be even better). They cancelled dish, and bought a Roku. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

other than a Tivo?

You could get a DTVPal DVR or ChannelMaster DVR...they have no fees but the guide may not go out very far (maybe a day or so) since TVGOS was dropped

Looking for a standalone tuner for my parents Panasonic PT-50LC13 (if the tuner incorporated a DVR it would be even better). They cancelled dish, and bought a Roku. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Shop ebay there are still many converter boxes listed they may not have HD outputs but they do have ATSC tuners.What Iceberg has suggested pretty much covers DVRs but they start about $300 what do they want to pay?

I would suggest something a DVD recorder with a built in hard drive/DVR. About the only ones available are from Philips/Magnavox - but you can get them at Walmart, and the price is not too bad: http://www.walmart.com/ip/20710260?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem
Some of the pluses for a unit like this: no fees, ability to watch a previously recorded show while recording a show (although with only one tuner, you could not watch one show live while recording another), since it has a hard drive, you can record a show without buying any record-able DVDs - but if you want to save something, you can edit and then save it to DVD.

Last edited:
That DVD/Tuner/Recorder is almost as expensive as a used HD TiVo with a Lifetime subscription.

thanks guys for all your input.

I'm trying to keep this under the $150 price range, I'm also trying to make their whole setup as user friendly as possible
Ebay item number 28108798044 Pico Macom HD-ATSC starting bid $25 a little over an hour to go.

It should be everything except DVR and a DVR under $150 is almost impossible

Just plug a $80 HD Homerun into their PC and get an IR dongle so it works with a remote. Unlike the DVD recorder route, you get full HD and full guide with an excellent interface. I got a similar setup after dumping Dish and DirecTV and absolutely love it. In fact, it's so seamless, my wife thinks we still have Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts