Attention cord cutters...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That's why OTA is the best option. No need to worry about deals being made.
Just gotta worry about the nets pulling the high value stuff off the air and onto subscription services.

Sadly, it looks like OTA is on a slide they may not recover from. A lot of people would much rather see the TV bands go over to cell/data. And not just communications people.

Reactions: Tampa8
Thought it was safe to go into the Online waters? Thought disputes were only with DISH (or other traditional carriers?)

http://nypost.com/2015/01/16/with-no-deal-in-place-discovery-pulling-shows-off-netflix/

And so it begins.

Things are rotated on and off Netflix on a monthly basis. This is nothing new. There are entire websites dedicated to what will be new and what will be removed in any given month. That $7.99 price tag means that they can't keep the rights to every piece of content forever. Typically when something leaves Netflix it ends up on Amazon Prime. Most of us cord cutters subscribe to both because there is lots of content that is only on one service or the other. Luckily you can subscribe to multiple streaming services and still pay much less than cable or satellite.

This is nothing new. Netflix also lost Viacom some time back (Viacom's kiddie shows were the big loss). But then Neflix made a deal with Disney for more of its content and some of it exclusive or first rights for a fair period.

Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus have all had their own cycles of gaining rights to certain movies and TV shows, and then LOSING those rights. The content in the cloud does NOT stay there forever. It is in the cloud only for how long the OTT service has the negotiated rights.

So, this is just like the MVPD world. Oh, and the FCC has or will rule that OTT services are MVPD's, so that cements how OTT is not just very like the MVPD's, but are, IN FACT, MVPD's with all the benefits (OTT will be able to negotiate for broadcast channels) and all the headaches, but the OTT world has had those headaches for years anyway.

BBC shows have been renewed on Netflix.

http://thebestofnetflix.com/update-doctor-who-top-gear-luther-and-other-bbc-shows-renewed/

Also, I am always amazed at how much negative comments Netflix gets when shows/movies end on the service, I never see the same complaints when a certain movie leaves HBO, that is the nature of the business, contracts end, new stuff is on.

Like when the Viacom kids stuff left Netflix, people complained but but nobody said anything about the content that replaced it, all Dreamworks Animation movies and new TV shows( 3 of the so far, Turbo, Puss in Boots, King Julian and soon the How to Train a Dragon TV show, with new and old episodes), a lot better then reruns from Nick.

Next year they will have the entire Disney library, Marvel, Lucasfilms. Pixar and Disney Films and TV shows, plus all the other stuff they have on now, a lot of stuff to watch for cord cutters.

We originally subscribed to Netflix with their 3 disc out at a time plan. This was long before we subscribed to any pay-tv service. When streaming was added, we loved it. As time went on, movies, series and content providers have come and gone only to come back again. This is pretty common for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Long-timers like myself, never expect something to be on one of these services forever. The only for sure on demand line-up possible is to own the discs and have them available.

Netflix has had negotiation problems with Discovery Networks before. It seems that their programs aren't the most popular with Netflix subscribers and Netflix would rather drop them than overpay for them.

Thought it was safe to go into the Online waters? Thought disputes were only with DISH (or other traditional carriers?)

http://nypost.com/2015/01/16/with-no-deal-in-place-discovery-pulling-shows-off-netflix/

And so it begins.

Netflix is $7.99/month for me, no contract, no hidden fees like DVR fee, HD fee, receiver fee, whole home DVR fee, ETF , etc.
That means that YES, for me is a lot better and cheaper. Right now for internet plus Netflix I pay exactly $52/month. When I had Dish, that was more than two years ago, the bill was $84 only for TV. And the programming was full of junk, replays and almost 1/3 of the time advertisement.

Reactions: stardust3
So then I have to guess since you are comparing cost that Netflix also provides the locals so when you can't get them OTA you still get them including the local news. And I guess you get Fox News live, CNN Live, MSNBC Live. Also have to guess you get all the local Sports. Comparing Netflix cost to Cable/Satellite cost isn't true when they are very different services. It is an alternative for those who don't want the channels you get in the packages with Cable/Satellite but it is not the same.
On top of that, it's fine for watching a few shows, I can tell you after working 12 hour shifts I want to turn on the TV and simply watch my recorded shows or live shows. I don't want to go from Netflix to Amazon to Hulu, to CBS etc. every time to do that. And I don;t want everyone else in the house to get mad because the streaming is slowing down what they are doing on the Internet. Netflix is a great alternative but not the same as Cable/Satellite and therefore costs less.
I have not used Netflix after dropping them quite some time ago,, but some other sites I go to sure do have commercials I can not skip.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAB
So then I have to guess since you are comparing cost that Netflix also provides the locals so when you can't get them OTA you still get them including the local news. And I guess you get Fox News live, CNN Live, MSNBC Live. Also have to guess you get all the local Sports. Comparing Netflix cost to Cable/Satellite cost is ridiculous sorry. It is an alternative for those who don't want the channels you get in the packages with Cable/Satellite but it is not the same.
On top of that, it's fine for watching a few shows, I can tell you after working 12 hour shifts I want to turn on the TV and simply watch my recorded shows or live shows. I don't want to go from Netflix to Amazon to Hulu, to CBS etc. every time to do that. And I don;t want everyone else in the house to get mad because the streaming is slowing down what they are doing on the Internet. Netflix is a great alternative but not the same as Cable/Satellite and therefore costs less.
I have not used Netflix after dropping them quite some time ago,, but some other sites I go to sure do have commercials I can not skip.

Im not sure what a conversation about cost has to do with any of the points you just made. He never mentioned OTA, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or local sports. Anyone who signed up for Netflix expecting to get those, or any other, channels didn't do their research. In my opinion, channels like History that show 15 reruns of Pawn Stars a day are outdated. I also didn't see anyone claim that Netflix was the same as Dish.

I don't care about any TV channel. All I care about is getting some content I enjoy at a good price. OTA and streaming gives me that. Frankly this whole thread you started seems pretty troll-like especially because it has nothing to do with Dish.

So then I have to guess since you are comparing cost that Netflix also provides the locals so when you can't get them OTA you still get them including the local news. And I guess you get Fox News live, CNN Live, MSNBC Live. Also have to guess you get all the local Sports. Comparing Netflix cost to Cable/Satellite cost isn't true when they are very different services. It is an alternative for those who don't want the channels you get in the packages with Cable/Satellite but it is not the same.

Yes, I'm comparing what I had with Dish with what I have right now and I told you that for ME it is a lot better now because your initial post was directed at cord cuterrs. And yes, Netflix doesn't have commercials.
I don't care about CNN, FOX or MSNBC. I have the internet and the other free news apps on Roku like Sky News, ABC News, CBS News, etc.
When I get home and I want to watch TV I have the largest DVR available right now, Netflix, at one click distance. And I have something else saved on Netflix, it's named the queue with all the shows that I like ready for streaming. And I don't have to skip the commercials because they, Netflix, already removed them for me.
The only sport that I care for is soccer and almost every Saturday NBC will have a game from England and that's enough for me. I have better things to do than to watch ESPN non stop. It is also worth mentioning that every NFL game of your local team is available OTA plus extra games. Also, some hockey, basketball and baseball games are available OTA. And that's more than enough.
But I'm happy that you are happy with your Dish service and the huge bill attached to it every month. See? Everybody is happy! :)

We originally subscribed to Netflix with their 3 disc out at a time plan. This was long before we subscribed to any pay-tv service. When streaming was added, we loved it. As time went on, movies, series and content providers have come and gone only to come back again. This is pretty common for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Long-timers like myself, never expect something to be on one of these services forever. The only for sure on demand line-up possible is to own the discs and have them available.

Netflix has had negotiation problems with Discovery Networks before. It seems that their programs aren't the most popular with Netflix subscribers and Netflix would rather drop them than overpay for them.

Long live Netflix by disc!

Reactions: TheKrell
The thread had nothing to do with cost, it was showing that others have disputes. Seems to me we had two huge threads about the disputes DISH has had (as I would expect) so this thread was showing even online you may have to switch who you use if you don't want to lose channels. That's it, and somehow Trolling gets thrown out.

Then cost was brought into the conversation. Obviously people can bring up whatever they feel is relevant, and I thought I could then post how in this case trying to compare what Netflix cost to what any Cable/Satellite costs (and not just DISH) was not comparing apples to apples. I made sure to mention that it was an alternative for those that don't want the channels in the packages of Cable/Satellite.

Above all, the point is completely being missed maybe because people just want to call others trolls instead of reading the whole post. As much as I was in total disagreement with a poster in the Fox thread it never even occurred to me to call him a troll we just totally disagreed.
The point isn't about what I or you want or like. If Online works for people then it works, but throwing out there that it costs so much less while obviously true, it is also true that my assertion that it isn't comparable to Cable with what you get for more money. Everyone decides what fits them best and what they feel is a price they are willing to pay. But apparently to you it is trolling to point out DISH and Cable in general offer much more than Netflix so comparing price isn't really telling the whole story.

On top of that, it's fine for watching a few shows, I can tell you after working 12 hour shifts I want to turn on the TV and simply watch my recorded shows or live shows. I don't want to go from Netflix to Amazon to Hulu, to CBS etc. every time to do that.
And that's not by accident. Many of the major content providers have slightly different line-ups with the three major streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu). They have a vested interest in keeping OTT as fragmented, confusing and expensive as possible to protect the incumbent pay-tv services.
And I don;t want everyone else in the house to get mad because the streaming is slowing down what they are doing on the Internet.
How slow are the speeds you're getting? Even when I had crappy 6/1 DSL, one Netflix HD stream didn't slow down the internet for browsing. Now for multiple streams, 15 or 20 down service works great.

Reactions: dare2be and Tampa8
Good point and I agree about bandwidth. Browsing is fine when someone is streaming a show. (Although with the best quality from Vudu it can slow things down) It's more when then someone wants to watch something on Youtube as a real example that there sometimes just isn't enough.

I think the online services are great for mobile viewing or catching a TV show that I did not record etc.. But as the only source not so much. I only have so much patience and my wife has no patience to remember where shows are, go to the sites etc.... if it was for all TV watching.
With what Cable/Satellite costs I can see how it is very attractive if either you can't or don't want to spend that money, or you really only watch a few shows faithfully with others as you catch them.

Good point and I agree about bandwidth. Browsing is fine when someone is streaming a show. (Although with the best quality from Vudu it can slow things down) It's more when then someone wants to watch something on Youtube as a real example that there sometimes just isn't enough.

Again what service are you using and what speed are you supposed to have.

We have five Rokus and that is what we watch the most stuff on, we only have two cable boxes and the one in the basement never gets used, with both kids watching something on their Rokus ( and usually using their Tablets/Computers also at the same time ) when we are watching something on Vudu or Netflix our speed has never gone down, I do have have Extreme105 but we never had problems on Blast either.

And we watch a lot online, our Data for Oct./Nov. was over 400gb and December was over 500gb.

Above all, the point is completely being missed maybe because people just want to call others trolls instead of reading the whole post. As much as I was in total disagreement with a poster in the Fox thread it never even occurred to me to call him a troll we just totally disagreed.
The point isn't about what I or you want or like. If Online works for people then it works, but throwing out there that it costs so much less while obviously true, it is also true that my assertion that it isn't comparable to Cable with what you get for more money. Everyone decides what fits them best and what they feel is a price they are willing to pay. But apparently to you it is trolling to point out DISH and Cable in general offer much more than Netflix so comparing price isn't really telling the whole story.

To be clear, I didn't call you a troll. I think you're typically a very helpful member of this site. I said this thread was troll-like and I didn't say that because I disagree with you. In my opinion, this thread and it's title was made mostly to get people (especially cord cutters) worked up.

Not only that but it doesn't belong in the Dish forum any more than a Directv dispute thread does. If you wanted to have this discussion, the streaming video part of this website would have been a more appropriate place to do that. There are similar threads going on there like the recent BBC contract with Netflix.

Just gotta worry about the nets pulling the high value stuff off the air and onto subscription services.

Sadly, it looks like OTA is on a slide they may not recover from. A lot of people would much rather see the TV bands go over to cell/data. And not just communications people.
That would be a historical loss for television. At least hopefully the ota stations could uplink on ku and be receivable with a small dish fta system.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)