Auction Opening Bid Prices Announced

I'm not sure I support ATSC 3. But if it is to be, it should be preceded by years of mandated ATSC 3 tuners in TVs and cable and sat boxes. Yes- all three. Mandate OTA capability, and HEVC encoding for cable and sat signals.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Um, yeah, I'm aware it's a different question. You ended your earlier comment with "the FCC has yet to even take the first step toward approving it" which could be interpreted as casting doubt on whether the FCC ever will, in fact, approve it. Which is why I asked the follow-up question.

Ah, gotcha. I understand now. :)

I doubt that the FCC would say no in the long run, though nothing is ever certain in government. The real question is, will the FCC approve it to coincide with the repack, which could potentially serve to disrupt the repack. That I have no answer to.

- Trip

The real question is, will the FCC approve it to coincide with the repack, which could potentially serve to disrupt the repack.
Wouldn't Congress first have to formally direct the FCC to come up with something? I'm not sure the repack mandate is the same thing as "go out and find something to replace DTV and devise a plan to implement it by YYYY". I'm clearly laboring under the questionable assumption that the repack could be executed without a new modulation standard.

It seems that the consensus is that the ATSC 3.0 implementation will need to be mostly complete before the repack begins and channels will need to start being surrendered at that point. Once surrendered, simulcasting is off the table.

One wonders if Congress actually knows what the FCC is up to with the repack.
You can bet that the subcommittees are getting an ear full from NAB and other powerful lobbies regarding their progress (or congress ;)).

For chair Wheeler's part, he's running about 22 months behind his original schedule in getting the reverse auction done. The forward auction is currently underway with rounds 10, 11 and 12 being conducted today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts