Audio Drops After Skipping

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Brucegrr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Ney, Ohio
I am having a strange audio problem today. I have a Hopper and Super Joey and OTA module. When I watch recorded TV or live TV and use the skip function it causes Audio drops every 30-60 seconds. As long as I don't use the skip function there are no audio drops.

No hardware/setting changes. I suspect that a reboot will fix this but I can't reboot right now since there are so many programs recording.

I would also add that if I fast forward and then hit play there are no audio drops. It is only the skip function that causes the audio drops.

Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: Tron2012
I do not have any known issues listed for that type of audio skip. The first thing we will want to try is going to be the reset when you get finished with your recordings.

I am having a strange audio problem today. I have a Hopper and Super Joey and OTA module. When I watch recorded TV or live TV and use the skip function it causes Audio drops every 30-60 seconds. As long as I don't use the skip function there are no audio drops...

Bruce, if you mean drops as in a split second then yes, I have too. Many times. Comes and goes for me. Usually a reboot (red button or complete unplug power cycle) solves this however I have seen it just "fix" itself a lot. Drives me and my wife nuts. The skip forward/back in "chunks" of time usually is the culprit and the rew/ff help to get the audio back in sync. Until the next time you use the skip button to move forward past commercials.

Posted this issue back in April of this year. Like I said, nothing I seem to do will allow me to repeat the conditions/actions to determine a possible cause. It comes and goes, recorded shows and/or live TV. When the DVR is recording a show/when it is not. Very random and unpredictable. Seems to only be our Hopper w/Sling. Wife says she can't recall if it ever happened on the regular Hopper (no Sling), and that's her DVR for the most part. Watches it a lot so she would notice if it did.

...and Dish should know about this problem and have it at least documented in a support database for reps to reference. This thread on the Dish forum started last Halloween 2013 describes symptoms similar to ours. Read through the posts. Looks like they did try to work with some of the posters to at least understand it better.

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7472&hilit=audio dropout

Maybe this post may help:
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942&p=39350&hilit=audio+dropout#p39350

I do not have the optical out. Just HDMI to the TV then use the TV's external audio setting to pass the audio to the Bose system I use. No receiver or anything in between. Just out from Hopper to TV.

Thanks for the info.

My Onkyo receiver handles all the hdmi inputs. As Tron2012 mentions, these are split second drops, almost like a word being bleeped out. This has happened on and off in the past, but today it was a steady stream of drops on any program, recorded, live and paused, OTA and paused, where I used the skip forward function.

I've seen this on my ota shows too. Yesterday my News program THIS WEEK with George S. was dropping out every few minutes. It was major annoying. I could skip back and the audio was there. It comes and goes.

...and Dish should know about this problem and have it at least documented in a support database for reps to reference. This thread on the Dish forum started last Halloween 2013 describes symptoms similar to ours. Read through the posts. Looks like they did try to work with some of the posters to at least understand it better.

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7472&hilit=audio dropout

Maybe this post may help:
https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942&p=39350&hilit=audio dropout#p39350

I do not have the optical out. Just HDMI to the TV then use the TV's external audio setting to pass the audio to the Bose system I use. No receiver or anything in between. Just out from Hopper to TV.

Have you tried component cables? Had a customer with the same problem and component cables made the problem go away.

I switched HWS to output audio to PCM, no drops since. If something important is missed, you can skip back 10 seconds and it will not skip that segment.
Dan

Had the same thing using an HWS, connected with HDMI to a Yamaha A810 AVR. A Hopper reboot only "fixes" the dropouts for a day or so. Switching the Hopper's audio setting to PCM "fixes" it as well, but no DD 5.1. My solution was to connect an optical audio cable between the Hopper and one of the Yamaha's optical inputs. I then switched the Hopper's audio input setting on the Yamaha from "HDMI" to (in my case) "AV 1". No more dropouts.

I was aware of no 5.1, but this problem seems to have occurred after a software update from Dish, it should be fixed.
Some day when I get brave I will pull my entertainment center out from the wall and hook up optical.
Dan
ps, My large screen tv is on top of entertainment center, makes it a 2 man job.

Have you tried component cables? Had a customer with the same problem and component cables made the problem go away.

No, but the odd thing is I shouldn't have to do this and the issue is very random. If more consistent then I'd try that. Like the three-legged dog who eventually learns how to get around, I just learn to live with the fact my Hopper is different this way and hobble along until a fix comes about. ;-)

I have been having the same dropout issue. Switched over to PCM only, and I don't think the family will notice as I don't currently have a DD 5.1 receiver in my setup. There is definitely a noticeable difference in audio quality even just getting sound through the TV. I am hopeful that Dish will correct this soon, but as a long time customer and member of this forum, I know that "soon" has a whole different meaning to Dish tech support.

As a side note, I had also noticed some "sparklies" while watching recorded programs (specifically "Real Steel" recorded on FX) and experiencing the audio dropout issue. After switching to PCM audio only, the sparklies went away as did the audio dropouts. I suspect the two issues are related. Anyone from the DIRT team monitoring this thread?

Has anyone tried skipping back 10 seconds to see if it's on the recording? I've never had any issues until two days ago and I've started having several dropouts per episode. It's really starting to drive me crazy. But tonight after a dropout I skipped back 10 seconds. I was actually going to time the dropout to see how long it stays gone. But the dropout is no longer there. Each time I have a dropout I hit skip back and it's no longer there. I'm not sure what that tells me but I know it's not a glitch in the recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried skipping back 10 seconds to see if it's on the recording? I've never had any issues until two days ago and I've started having several dropouts per episode. It's really starting to drive me crazy. But tonight after a dropout I skipped back 10 seconds. I was actually going to time the dropout to see how long it stays gone. But the dropout is no longer there. Each time I have a dropout I hit skip back and it's no longer there. I'm not sure what that tells me but I know it's not a glitch in the recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been saying this all along, it always plays back the skipped sound when you skip back.
Dan

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Skip back (button) or rewind 10 seconds?? For me the skip forward/back is the culprit. If I use the rewind to rewind back a few seconds then start play again it is fine. Until the next Autohop or skip ahead.

I never use rewind unless I'm wanting to go wayyy back. I just hit the 10 second skip back and it plays the scene again without any issues.

I'm not sure why this just started out of the blue. To my knowledge we haven't had a software update recently. And it only started happening to me about 3 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been going on for a while now, but it is becoming more prevalent as time goes on ,but I hear it more on my ota channels ,than sat channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)