audio hookup on bdp1200

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
I did a search so dont jump on me.
I just got the BDP1200 and I am very dissappointed in the audio options. Perhaps I am missing something.
I have the BDP1200 and an Onkyo TX SR702 receiver. If we use the digital coax we only get sound from our front speakers. If we hook up with 3 sets of audio from the 5.1 analog we can get 5.1 using the multichannel connection on the AV receiver. We can not use any of our receivers options such as any dolby settings or thx or any surround. Can someone help me.... this is not really going over well with the "man of the house" who was happy with a regular dvd player. I have the hubby acceptance factor to worry about around here.

Sounds like settings in the Blu-ray player... With player in stop mode select menu, then select Audio setup and then Bit-Stream. Looks like this player has Analog 5.1 which I use and like with my HD DVD player...

Already on Bitstream and it still will only do front speakers. I wasnt sure if it was the nature of this beast or a problem somewhere.

What used to be "best" audio on regular DVDs (DD/DTS), is not "entry level" on the latest hidef formats.
And only this can be transfered over old-style digital audio (non-HDMI).
When decoding the audio in the player (and outputting analog) you should be getting better sound (in most cases).

Diogen.

The problem is ... we have 7.1 surround sound and "the other half" likes to be able to change the sound depending on the movie being watched. Some movies he likes to use the thx and some the dolby ex II. When you connect with the analogs you can't get any more than 5.1 and you can't use these features.... at least not the way we are hooked up through multichannel

The problem is ... we have 7.1 surround sound and "the other half" likes to be able to change the sound depending on the movie being watched. Some movies he likes to use the thx and some the dolby ex II. When you connect with the analogs you can't get any more than 5.1 and you can't use these features.... at least not the way we are hooked up through multichannel

I'm not sure of any players that have 7.1 analog outs besides the Panasonic. Most movies are only recorded in 5.1 anyways. When you send an analog signal to the receiver, the receiver won't do any post processing. Processing is for digital signals only. In order to do it, a receiver would have to convert the analog signal back to digital, process it, then convert it back to analog to get the sound to your speakers. Analog signals bypass all digital processors and are really a straight shot out to the speakers. Think of your receiver as a big volume control when using analog. SO really it's the nature of the beast of receivers and not the 1200's fault. The uncomressed PCM or True HD (if available) is pretty much a studio master already.

S~

Don't get me wrong, some processors do advanced processing of analog signals. My Lexicon MC12-HD does. A lot receivers don't, though.

Last edited:
Just looked through the 702 manual. If you have a 702E version, you can apply THX and Dolby EX with the multichannel input. Also, try changing the output from the 1200 from Bitstream to PCM. See if that helps. p. 69 of your owners manual.

S~

We didnt even get 5.1 using the digital coax. PCM did not change anything. With the multichannel set up we did get 5.1 but could not change it as we wanted for the things we watched. We decided to try the optical connection and it works the way we want. Thank goodness... thought I was going to have to send the thing back. Now I wonder if that means the digital coax output is defective or something.
Thank you all for trying to help.

My BPD1200 is on it's way. I don't have HDMI on my Denon AV receiver, so my audio connections will be either optical or digital coax - sounds like I'm in the same boat you are. I'll let you know what happens with my hook up experience....

My BPD1200 is on it's way. I don't have HDMI on my Denon AV receiver, so my audio connections will be either optical or digital coax - sounds like I'm in the same boat you are. I'll let you know what happens with my hook up experience....

Does your Denon have 5.1 multichannel inputs? If so, I would use those over optical/coax anyday. You will be able to take advantage of the Lossless audio track that way.

S~

Ours ended up fine in the end but I never backtracked to see if the digital coax worked..... saw no sense in it. WE had tried everything to get it to work before we dug up the optical cable.

Does your Denon have 5.1 multichannel inputs? If so, I would use those over optical/coax anyday. You will be able to take advantage of the Lossless audio track that way.

S~

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is a "lossless" audio track?

Yes my Denon does have 5.1 multichannel inputs- but will I lose anything using an analog output?

Thanks for your help.....

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is a "lossless" audio track?

Yes my Denon does have 5.1 multichannel inputs- but will I lose anything using an analog output?

Thanks for your help.....

Lossless is uncompressed audio. Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed and have a maximum bit rate of 1.5 MB/s max. Most BDs use an uncompressed PCM track which cannot be sent over optical or coax as 5.1. Some titles are starting to use DTS HD (High resolution or Master Audio) and Dolby True HD. These are as close as you'll get to a studio master on a disk. Neither of these audio codecs can be sent out at their maximum bandwidth over optical or Coax either. What the player will do is take the core track which has a MAXIMUM bitrate of 1.5 mb/s. Basically a stripped down version. True audio enthusiasts still use 2.0 and 5.1 multichannel analog connections for the purest sound. Your Denon should be able to handle these just fine.

S~

Lossless is uncompressed audio. Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed and have a maximum bit rate of 1.5 MB/s max. Most BDs use an uncompressed PCM track which cannot be sent over optical or coax as 5.1. Some titles are starting to use DTS HD (High resolution or Master Audio) and Dolby True HD. These are as close as you'll get to a studio master on a disk. Neither of these audio codecs can be sent out at their maximum bandwidth over optical or Coax either. What the player will do is take the core track which has a MAXIMUM bitrate of 1.5 mb/s. Basically a stripped down version. True audio enthusiasts still use 2.0 and 5.1 multichannel analog connections for the purest sound. Your Denon should be able to handle these just fine.

S~

Thanks for the education! 5.1 hook-up sounds like the way to go.

So the BDP1200 does the Dolby/ DTS decoding since I read the 5.1 input signal can't be decoded by the Denon receiver.

Duh me.... actually I have a Denon DVD player that plays SACD disks and I already have that player hooked up with the 5.1 connections- that DVD player is being moved to another system in the house when the BD player arrives. Guess I never really understood it all......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)