Audio issues using HDMI on 722??

davey1108

Original poster
May 6, 2010
midwest
Hi everyone,

A week ago we started having problems with audio from our 722 unit (we checked our TV and it's not the source of the problem). 75-80% of the time, we get no audio from our box using HDMI. Sometimes we turn it on and it works fine, but most of the time it doesn't. The sound works fine with Component cables.

A tech rep at DISH said there's some issue the new firmware upgrade is causing with some TVs (the DVR isn't talking correctly to the TV). He had me shut off sound-leveling and that didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

I would suspect the HDMI port. This was very common with the 622 because of the mounting of the HDMI port. Poor solder connections on the 722 motherboard could cause it. The cable contacts and the port contacts might not be making good connection.

I would suspect the HDMI port. This was very common with the 622 because of the mounting of the HDMI port. Poor solder connections on the 722 motherboard could cause it. The cable contacts and the port contacts might not be making good connection.

I was worried about the same thing - but the DISH tech on the phone assured me a new box would cause the same problems. Ugh.

I did not have this problem with my two 722s but when they swapped them for 722Ks I started having this problem on one of them.

The problematic one is at the end of a 50' run of HDMI and I suspect the line loss is more than the system can tolerate. I have a cheapie ($35) splitter/amplifier coming in from Eforcity and hope that cures the issue.

In the mean time I have found that turing the TV on AFTER the Dish receiver grabs the signal a bit better...try that.

I did not have this problem with my two 722s but when they swapped them for 722Ks I started having this problem on one of them.

The problematic one is at the end of a 50' run of HDMI and I suspect the line loss is more than the system can tolerate. I have a cheapie ($35) splitter/amplifier coming in from Eforcity and hope that cures the issue.

In the mean time I have found that turing the TV on AFTER the Dish receiver grabs the signal a bit better...try that.

I'm fairly certain my receiver is always on.....when we turn our TV on, there's the welcome screen with the black background.

I'm fairly certain my receiver is always on.....when we turn our TV on, there's the welcome screen with the black background.

The welcome screen you refer to is also called a screen saver. It shows up when the unit is in "standby" which is what happens when you press the power button on your remote to turn the unit "off". I believe what is being suggested is to turn "on" your sat box before you turn on your TV.
Frankly I vote for there being something wrong with your receiver. I also have a 722 (not a 722K) with the most recent software. Thus far everything is working fine, and by the way I don't think the 722 has the volume leveling function (I can't find it and I've been through very menu looking for changes and that is not one of them)

Ross

I have this issue with my 722, just started in the last few weeks. My 722 is HDMI to the TV, then optical from the TV to my HT receiver. When I get no sound (which is about 75% of the time) I shut off the receiver, then turn it back on and I get sound. Not sure where the issue is, since there is no direct link between the 722 and the receiver but it seems very similar to the problem you're having.

Grahame

Optical from TV to HT will not get 5.1 sound on most TVs, only 2.0. You need to go receiver to HT with optical to get full sound. I bought, but seldom use, a 4-way optical switch to select between 2 722s, a DVD recorder, and the TV for input to the sound system. A manual RatShack selector.
-Ken

Optical from TV to HT will not get 5.1 sound on most TVs, only 2.0. You need to go receiver to HT with optical to get full sound. I bought, but seldom use, a 4-way optical switch to select between 2 722s, a DVD recorder, and the TV for input to the sound system. A manual RatShack selector.
-Ken

I'm not sure how that's related to this problem? The OP and myself are both losing audio completely, it's not a 5.1 to 2.0 issue. Also, I DO get 5.1 using optical from my TV to my HT (DTS even works because I send my Blu-Ray player over HDMI to the TV then back to the HT receiver over optical).

Most TVs do support 5.1 optical out from their tuner but not in pass-through. That is what I didn't say. You seem to be lucky to have pass-thru.
-Ken

I hadn't thought of it until some other questions on these boards.
Could your loss of sound on HDMI be related to the setting for Dolby etc. being changed to the wrong choice (Menu+6+7) of Dolby vs PCM rather that letting it choose. There seem to be recent reports of the Line/RF mode switching on its own in the same menu. I've never had it happen but if we find one rat there might be others. With it failed, check the normal audio outs and this menu.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)