Audio levels and dish services.

Gbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
North Carolina
Is there any Technical reason as to why dish (and directv) has a lower volume level than cable or any other source of video. I have known it a long time but it has really started to get under my skin since I am watching more streaming videos. It has become noticed by my 3 year old.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Could be that you have audio sound leveled under your menu. That makes all sounds equal with no loud commercials. You can turn it on or off in your menu under audio. This is a feature not a bug or bad thing.

Yes, disable leveling if currently enabled. Leveling also reduces audio quality in general, IMO.

I have it disabled. I am just starting to question if dish, directv or charter is the best option for me. Charter will soon be all digital here. I love the hopper and the way it works but sound has become a bigger issue since I bought a larger panasonic plasma TV. My old panasonic plasma tv had ok sound. The newer tv does not. Buying a sound bar to correct it. Just looking at my setup and what is best for my family.

I certainly would not be basing overall audio quality of a provider based on one TV set's performance.

I have it disabled. I am just starting to question if dish, directv or charter is the best option for me. Charter will soon be all digital here. I love the hopper and the way it works but sound has become a bigger issue since I bought a larger panasonic plasma TV. My old panasonic plasma tv had ok sound. The newer tv does not. Buying a sound bar to correct it. Just looking at my setup and what is best for my family.

Actually what they have is a much wider dynamic range than your cable had. Analog in general had a more compressed sound due to lack of ability to have enough bandwidth for the dynamic range. So that makes it sound louder. Now the digital cable may once they move everything to digital might have the sound more like E* and D* when that happens. But they may also put compressors on their channel's feeds to keep a higher level like it has been.

Added to the list of reasons to drop DISH. Buying a new TV and the sound is degraded, so I might drop DISH.

Just to make myself clear.... I have charter internet and get a few channels until they switch to digital. The channels for charter sounds 10 times better. The Blu Ray player sounds wonderful and is about 20 times better. Hulu Plus also has better sound. Amazon Prime has better sound then dish. I was just wondering why dish sounds lower and worse then all other source I have. And yes sound does make a difference..... So I am not comparing TV to TV. I am comparing service to service.

Am I the only one who notices this?

How are you getting audio from the Dish receiver to the TV? Charter, Hulu, and Amazon will probably all be in Stereo, the BD will depend on the source disk, Dish could be 5.1. If you compare 5.1 to stereo signals, it will be lower.

How are you getting audio from the Dish receiver to the TV? Charter, Hulu, and Amazon will probably all be in Stereo, the BD will depend on the source disk, Dish could be 5.1. If you compare 5.1 to stereo signals, it will be lower.

I don't know about Hulu because I've never used them but Charter is DD5.1 on the same HD channels as Dish. Amazon has DD5.1 too. As far as I know, there is no reason the HD channels on Dish should have better DD5.1 than they would on Charter. Dish isn't making the 5.1 mix, the people who make the content do that.

For giggles, I cued up a scene from The Avengers from Amazom/Roku and from my Hopper. There is no audio level difference. If anything, the DVR seemed a little crisper.

Roku and WD Live sound levels are much louder than either my DISH receiver or OTA. (OTA either through the receiver or directly from the TV)However much of what I use is not 5.1 on the Roku or WD. DISH level is very comparable to my OTA sound level. I just don't think this is a DISH "problem." The settings on the receiver, at least on mine make a difference in the sound level. On my bedroom TV even level 1 is almost too loud late at night on some channels, but if I change the settings including sound leveling, the 1 setting can not be heard.

I was complaining to Dish several years ago when for some reason the sound started tripping LFE or Low Frequence Effect on my receiver. Now this happened over night and has yet to go back to the way it was and of course the CSR just danced around everything I was discussing and said they would forward to an engineer but here we are several years later and I've never heard anything come out of it or anything get changed. If I run thru the optical it enables LFE but I have to go with this path to get the better surround sound, otherwise I use basic stereo feeds to avoid the LFE however its only from the front speaks and not the others.

So yeah something is not right and hasn't been for a very long time.

Something on your end, perhaps. I get no LFE warning on my sound system it transmits that fequency range fine to my subwoofer and loudspeakers. If you do not mean a warning, but that the LFE channel is being used, that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Something on your end, perhaps. I get no LFE warning on my sound system it transmits that fequency range fine to my subwoofer and loudspeakers. If you do not mean a warning, but that the LFE is being used, that is a good thing.

I don't think so, the old DVD I had and the new blu-ray player doesn't kick this in and OTA doesn't kick it in either. It was just like flipping a switch one day from Dish cause it was something you could certainly tell was changed the following morning. I kinda been dealing with it for now but I may end up replacing the receiver at some point in the future to see if that helps as it is several years old now. The one I currently have doesn't have HDMI pass thru and that would be nice to have.

I've found that in general audio is treated as a red-headed stepchild by cable, satellite, and OTA. IME, levels are a problem on Dish, as are momentary drop-out glitches on OTA. Hard to tell if they come from the source, recording for DVR, or decoding for playback. I'm sure the programmers have the same problem when troubleshooting reported sound issues.

I don't think so, the old DVD I had and the new blu-ray player doesn't kick this in and OTA doesn't kick it in either. It was just like flipping a switch one day from Dish cause it was something you could certainly tell was changed the following morning. I kinda been dealing with it for now but I may end up replacing the receiver at some point in the future to see if that helps as it is several years old now. The one I currently have doesn't have HDMI pass thru and that would be nice to have.

What do you mean by LFE warning?

I do use the HDMI pass through. LFE however is a good thing, it is a channel that carries something in the 20HZ and up some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)