Audio levels and dish services.

I don't think so, the old DVD I had and the new blu-ray player doesn't kick this in and OTA doesn't kick it in either. It was just like flipping a switch one day from Dish cause it was something you could certainly tell was changed the following morning. I kinda been dealing with it for now but I may end up replacing the receiver at some point in the future to see if that helps as it is several years old now. The one I currently have doesn't have HDMI pass thru and that would be nice to have.

If the problem you are having is too much bass you can probably turn your subwoofer down. Mine has a knob on the back and it's currently turned to 3.5 out of 10. The volume will still go up and down depending on the volume your receiver is at but If I turn mine up much higher than that it overpowers all my other speakers when I'm watching regular TV with 5.1 sound. If I watch a bluray at high volume levels that 3.5 setting still rocks the room and pounds my chest.

If you have some room correction software on your AVR like Audyssey it might be worth your time to run it again.

yeah get this - why are SD channels much much louder than HD channels ? I would figure the HD should be louder , but they aren't . the SD channels are louder . this just doesn't make sense .

try it out if you don't believe me .

If the problem you are having is too much bass you can probably turn your subwoofer down. Mine has a knob on the back and it's currently turned to 3.5 out of 10. The volume will still go up and down depending on the volume your receiver is at but If I turn mine up much higher than that it overpowers all my other speakers when I'm watching regular TV with 5.1 sound. If I watch a bluray at high volume levels that 3.5 setting still rocks the room and pounds my chest.

If you have some room correction software on your AVR like Audyssey it might be worth your time to run it again.

My problem as I said started over night..wasn't something on my end it was from the Dish feed. No larger amount of bass it was just making everything harder to hear louder unless of course I turned up the volume.

Example: Day 1 I had volume set to say 700 and it sounded nice and loud and you could hear many details in and around room.
Day 2 - was the change and at 700 you could notice a big drop in sound so now I have to run it up to 600 to compensate the drop, no increase in either bass or treble..it was just something changed on dishes end. The receivers didn't make a difference either, I went from a 622 to a 722 now to a HWS and same thing. So could be with my sound receiver or again I point to Dish and the audio feed from the signal but I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon.

Hmm. I don't have Dish anymore but I had an Onkyo AVR hooked via HDMI to various Dish receivers over the last few years and didn't notice any change. It was used with a 211k, a Hopper, and a HWS. Maybe a software update changed or added a sound setting at some point. I remember the 211k had sound choices like RF or Line mode as well as DD or PCM. Like others have said, I would make sure sound leveling is turned off. I don't know what else to tell you.

My problem as I said started over night..wasn't something on my end it was from the Dish feed. No larger amount of bass it was just making everything harder to hear louder unless of course I turned up the volume.

Example: Day 1 I had volume set to say 700 and it sounded nice and loud and you could hear many details in and around room.
Day 2 - was the change and at 700 you could notice a big drop in sound so now I have to run it up to 600 to compensate the drop, no increase in either bass or treble..it was just something changed on dishes end. The receivers didn't make a difference either, I went from a 622 to a 722 now to a HWS and same thing. So could be with my sound receiver or again I point to Dish and the audio feed from the signal but I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon.

I have not noticed any issues with audio. I would check your audio receiver settings. Things like Midnight Mode, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, Source Input Level Offset, etc all could impact this. A accidental tweak of a receiver setting makes more sense than all Dish channels changing audio overnight and no one else noticing. :)

Last edited:
I don't know about Hulu because I've never used them but Charter is DD5.1 on the same HD channels as Dish. Amazon has DD5.1 too. As far as I know, there is no reason the HD channels on Dish should have better DD5.1 than they would on Charter. Dish isn't making the 5.1 mix, the people who make the content do that.
I was under the impression the OP was watching Charter analog cable channels in the clear. As far as I know, those are stereo. That's what I was basing my post on, not saying Charter doesn't have 5.1.

yeah get this - why are SD channels much much louder than HD channels ? I would figure the HD should be louder , but they aren't . the SD channels are louder . this just doesn't make sense .

try it out if you don't believe me .

Again, it's the difference between 5.1 (surround) & 2.0 (stereo).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts