Audio Skipping? High Pitch Noise On Hopper

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Does anyone else have this problem? This happened all the time on my 622 and now my hopper as well.

Basically, when watching a program (recording, live, anything) from time to time there will be these intermittent and very loud pops or skips of a really high pitch screech. I know it's not my Onkyo 705 because it has never happened when using my PS3, 360, Apple TV, XMBC Media Center, etc. This only happens with Dish. Usually if I turn the Hopper off, then back on the problem disappears for a few hours, but it seems that every few hours the problem comes back.

If I'm watching a recording and I notice it, and fast forward 15 seconds, it doesn't skip/screech in the same spot as it did originally. I am just really confused by this? Does it happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
Never heard of this sounds more like a hardware issue.. If it continues to happen I would have them ship you a new Hopper..

I wonder it's something to do specifically with the 705 and Dish equipment? Considering it happened on my 622 and now my hopper, but it doesn't happen on the other devices.

I even switched the Hopper from HDMI 1 to where my PS3 is located on HDMI 3. When I do that the PS3 is fine on HDMI 1, but the Hopper still intermittently makes these noises on HDMI 3. I've thought it was something with Dish for a while now just because it happened on the 622, and a few hours after I had the hopper installed it was doing the same thing.

try component to see if it's a temporary solution. Also, report it as an hdmi bug with your receiver to DIRT.

To rule out any hardware issues, i'd try that receiver out with maybe a joey.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll do that. Also, I've tried using optical audio out and the problem is 2X worse. So I don't think it's the HDMI out. When I hooked up audio through optical, the pops were so outrageous for that few minutes that I got a headache! But they're just so intermittent. It happenes daily, but sometimes it'll go hours working as it should, then it starts popping, then i turn the receiver off and it's ok for a while again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts