Audio Sound Level

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
What causes audio sound levels to be uneven? I have to turn the volume up for usually HD channels and then when you change channels it is extremely loud. Is there such a thing as Audio/Video receivers that can auto adjust the sound level?

If your a/v receiver has a "Midnight" or "Loudness" mode that will help. Those are just fancy names for dynamic range compression.

My a/v receiver doesn't have that. It is a four year old Sony. What causes that sound level to vary like that?

Dolby Digital (and other digital sound formats) are typically encoded at a lower "normal" volume to provide more overall dynamic range. That's why it's different on the HD channels with DD audio. That's also why the "night" setting on receivers helps, it brings the low and high ends back towards the middle range.

Dolby Digital (and other digital sound formats) are typically encoded at a lower "normal" volume to provide more overall dynamic range. That's why it's different on the HD channels with DD audio. That's also why the "night" setting on receivers helps, it brings the low and high ends back towards the middle range.

OK, thanks.

I bought a tv volume control from J&R out of n.y. off the internet, I think it was about $40.00, It is small, about 4"x5"x1", you would want to hook it between the audio out and the dolby receiver, that way you will have control of volume on tv.

I found that the channels broadcasting in standard PCM were much louder than those in Dolby. My receiver (Onkyo) allowed me to adjust the volume for each format, so now they are much closer ... No more waking up the family when you change channels from a quiet movie to a SCREAMING COMMERCIAL :)

I bought a tv volume control from J&R out of n.y. off the internet, I think it was about $40.00, It is small, about 4"x5"x1", you would want to hook it between the audio out and the dolby receiver, that way you will have control of volume on tv.

How do you like this thing? Are there any adjustments to vary how much level matching it does?

Neither of my Sony amps has midnight mode and people DO get awakened by annoying Billy Mays commercials (Oxiclean, AwesomeAuger, Zorbeez, etc)

I had the Dolby Digital setting in my VIP722 set on Dolby/PCM. Changed it to Dolby Digital only and it is a little better now.

Name of device

Please give the name of the device. I tried to find it on the site w/ no luck. Also how does it hook up between the 622 & the receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts