Austin Locals/KWTX holds up CBS-E

LER

Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2003
Round Rock, TX US
why the heck would KWTX (Waco/Killeen/Temple) not allow me to get CBS-E HD for AUSTIN (KEYE-TV) for 78681 (Round Rock, TX)?

They don't put KWTX in the AUSTIN local package.....

I'm confused.

LER said:
why the heck would KWTX (Waco/Killeen/Temple) not allow me to get CBS-E HD for AUSTIN (KEYE-TV) for 78681 (Round Rock, TX)?
They don't put KWTX in the AUSTIN local package.....
I'm confused.

Unfortunately, You must be in a grade range of the other CBS station, because of that you will need waivers from both CBS stations.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Did you apply for the waiver? I have CBS-E here in Georgetown, TX. It took a little time but I contacted the Engineer at KWTX and was told that he automatically grants waivers on all requests in the Austin area. He sent me a copy of the email that was sent back to D* and about two weeks later they turned it on. Evidently, D* does a "waiver download" for lack of a better term, but they don't do it consistantly. Call D* customer service and have then file the waiver for you. Don't give up.

TE

I haven't applied yet. When I actually get HD equipment, I will. I was just surprised when E* told me that. It's good to hear that it's a rubber-stamp (essentially).

Thanks!

LER

One thing to keep in mind . . . when you get your HD equipment, you should easily be able to pull in KEYE OTA from Round Rock. I get an 80+ signal strength in Leander. The OTA picture quality is excellent, probably better than CBS-E since there is less compression, as I understand it.

If I turn my OTA antenna toward Austin, I get all the Austin locals pretty well after dark (from CS).

LER said:
I haven't applied yet. When I actually get HD equipment, I will. I was just surprised when E* told me that. It's good to hear that it's a rubber-stamp (essentially).
Thanks!
LER

Don't wait to apply. It takes up to 45 days for the waiver request process to play out. It is a real pain to have a nice, new HDTV set and receiver and have to then wait for the waiver.

Just had a WONDERFUL experience with the special projects office at KWTX. I called them yesterday to ask for the HD waiver, since I have a HDTV coming today. She just called me back and said it's been granted as there is no way for me to get the signal. She said also that they do the waivers on a case-by-case basis.

Good Job, KWTX!

LER

These station waivers can be odd. I live in Allen and am in the DFW DMA but when I applied for CBS-E was told that I'd have to get a waiver from Sherman. :mad: I eventually got it but it was ridiculous that Sherman was holding me up given where I live.

Actually received a nice word doc with the waiver, and have faxed it to E*.

Now, let's see if E* can do the right thing :)

LER

Keep trying

I live in the Tampa DMA. The local CBS station wouldn't give me a waiver until the 4th or 5th try... took 8 months. Is E* still approving MPEG2 CBS-HD (East/West feed) after 2/1?

OK, now I'm confused. I'm in Ausin (Pflugerville). I'm getting my HD locals off-air as well SD via Dish.

What national broadcast network HDs can I get via Dish? Do I have to pay extra for them?

I called once and I think they wanted $1.50 per channel or something. This is one issue that I've never been able to understand.

The only national HD network you can get is CBS-HD. And then only if you live in a DMA with a CBS owned-and-operated affiliate. Dallas is CBS O&O but I'm not sure about Austin. Should be easy to GIS and find out. If you qualify and subscribe to your sat locals, you get CBS-HD free. However, you need a dish pointing at 61.5 to get it.

KEYE is O&O, and you might need to get a waiver from KWTX, call and ask. It should be free if you have locals from E*.

You'll need a 61.5 dish.
LER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts