Automatic TV Volume Controller - reviewed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I've had this Audiovox gadget for four days (or more importantly four nights) and I've formed some opinions about it.

You can get some background about why I bought it in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...5-tell-me-about-your-volume-level-gadget.html

First, this thing is dead easy to install. It comes with one set of audio cables to make the extra jump to the audio inputs of your sound system.

Second, the most important feature of this box is the front mounted bypass switch.

Third, it works great (now catch this) but only WHEN IT IS NEEDED which is not all the time. If you rent or tune in a recent hollywood blockbuster and you have a good stereo or 5.1 sound system the compression of the total soundtrack will greatly diminish the experience.

On the other hand if you want to watch an action movie while your spouse slumbers next to you, You Need This Gadget. And the infamous Billy Mays is no louder than Patrick Stewart when he describes black holes or parallel universes on The Science Channel. If you sleep through the second, you'll sleep through the first too.

There is a lot I could say about this thing but I think I'll stop here and just see if anyone has any questions.

My Magnavox Television that I purchased over 8 years ago has a system that does that built in. When on, you set the volume on the TV and nothing goes louder than that. you don't even notice it's on unless you turn it on and listen to an hour of a tv. show when you notice all the volume differences really there.

My Magnavox Television that I purchased over 8 years ago has a system that does that built in. When on, you set the volume on the TV and nothing goes louder than that. you don't even notice it's on unless you turn it on and listen to an hour of a tv. show when you notice all the volume differences really there.

I didn't know that. I do know there is a TV currently on the market with this circuit but I can't recall the brand. And though I haven't personally heard it in use, AV receivers with the Dolby "late night" setting are supposed to do this task pretty well too but I don't know it if works with just Dolby audio signals or all audio signals.

Found info on it from the old days, my TV has/had both features (TV is still used in a bedroom):
Magnavox Smart. Very Smart.
1992—SMART SOUND...also known as "automatic volume control", this feature eliminated annoying increases in TV volume (usually found in commercials).

1993—REMOTE LOCATOR...simply turn your TV "on" manually if the remote control is missing, and it will beep to reveal its location!

Many of today's televisions have sound leveling systems of some sort. The problem is that some are kind of slow to react and may cut the sound for a few seconds before they determine that there isn't going to be another 1812 Overture cannon shot.

Many of today's televisions have sound leveling systems of some sort. The problem is that some are kind of slow to react and may cut the sound for a few seconds before they determine that there isn't going to be another 1812 Overture cannon shot.

Very true! Most of the tv's that claim to sound level don't do it. I purchased a new Sony that supposedly leveled sound output, but I had to hook my sound leveler (just like the one that Steve has) back up. Any effects I do lose on Dolby are compensated by the fact that the leveler actually improves the quality of the broadcast on all other channels.

I just have the compressor hooked up in the bedroom. While the occasional volume blasts in the den are annoying, my thinking at the moment is that I don't want the sound compressed there unless there is a way to bypass it via a remote because, like I said, good Dolby Digital 5.1 movies ought to be heard the way they're intended.

This is my current idea if I do get another gadget:

Hook it to the component stereo output of the 622 and then take the compressed output to the LCD TV audio input to be able to adjust the volume via the TV volume. Then I'd send it's output to "audio 2" of the AV amp. (This the way the bedroom is setup now)

Then I'd connect the 622 fiber optic output direct to "audio 1" of the A/V amp to be adjusted by the amp's volume control. (Haven't done this in the B/R yet and probably won't)

Now I can switch settings from the Lazyboy using the A/V remote. Besides when I play DVDs I have to use the amp volume anyway.

To me this setup kind of separates "watching TV" from "home theater" movie watching so both are done best.

I just have the compressor hooked up in the bedroom. While the occasional volume blasts in the den are annoying, my thinking at the moment is that I don't want the sound compressed there unless there is a way to bypass it via a remote because, like I said, good Dolby Digital 5.1 movies ought to be heard the way they're intended.

This is my current idea if I do get another gadget:

Hook it to the component stereo output of the 622 and then take the compressed output to the LCD TV audio input to be able to adjust the volume via the TV volume. Then I'd send it's output to "audio 2" of the AV amp. (This the way the bedroom is setup now)

Then I'd connect the 622 fiber optic output direct to "audio 1" of the A/V amp to be adjusted by the amp's volume control. (Haven't done this in the B/R yet and probably won't)

Now I can switch settings from the Lazyboy using the A/V remote. Besides when I play DVDs I have to use the amp volume anyway.

To me this setup kind of separates "watching TV" from "home theater" movie watching so both are done best.
That will work very well Steve. I still have my optical output plugged into my a/v receiver so that if I desire Dolby, all I have to do is change my a/v input source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)