Automatically marking posts "read" ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
How can I make it so every time I come to the forum, the bolded threads are only those with changes since the last time I visited?

I found the button to "mark posts read" (or something like that). The default behavior seems odd and I guess it is by design since there are so many boards on this site and people probably didn't like to lose track of data.

That said, I only read a couple boards and don't want to manually hit a "read" button after each visit. I'm sure its there, I just couldn't find it in the Account profile settings.

Thanks!

well since you're arent reading all the forums, hence you'd have to hit the mark forums read.

if you only want the new posts to show the forums you visit, either use the new posts for the particular forum or hide the forums you don't visit

I'm either misunderstanding you, or I didn't explain the question right...let me try again.

I go to other internet bulletin boards, with multiple forums, and on each visit I only see the bolded threads as the ones with updates since my last visit. Doesn't matter if I've been to each discussion group or not. (don't know what you call them...the topic forums, within the main forum we have here).

On this forum website, that doesn't happen. Everything stays bolded until I hit the "read" button. Maybe the threads I read don't, I'm not sure, but there's a lot of noise to wade through.

As this is a not standard forum behavior, in my experience, i'm guessing there is some setting to do this.

...either way, thanks for reading through this. This is surprisingly difficult to explain! Be curious to hear any more info. :)

I'm either misunderstanding you, or I didn't explain the question right...let me try again.

I go to other internet bulletin boards, with multiple forums, and on each visit I only see the bolded threads as the ones with updates since my last visit. Doesn't matter if I've been to each discussion group or not. (don't know what you call them...the topic forums, within the main forum we have here).

On this forum website, that doesn't happen. Everything stays bolded until I hit the "read" button. Maybe the threads I read don't, I'm not sure, but there's a lot of noise to wade through.

As this is a not standard forum behavior, in my experience, i'm guessing there is some setting to do this.
It's an Admin setting. Iv'e seen either setting used a different boards. Depending on the amount of traffic a board gets, and the sheer number of threads I prefer either setting.
Due to the amount of traffic and threads that Satelliteguys gets, I like the setting that it now has, as I generally don't have enough time to look at them all each day. Another site that deals with Satellite TV had much fewer threads and less traffic, and I prefer the other setting for it.

But it's an Admin setting, so for here it'll be whatever Scott picks for it.

so i think you may get what you want using the combo below.

If you use the mark all forums read, this will set all posts all forums as read. (Under "quick links").
then if you subscribe to the forums you are interested in, then use the User CP button above. You will only see the forums you subscribed too.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/usercp.php?

Then to only see the unread use the Search button (looks like a paper with a spyglass). for each forum it will then only show the threads updated since you last used the mark all forums read.

Thanks guys. That's very helpful (and good to know it is an admin setting and I'm not going crazy).

I'll give the suggestion a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)