AZBOX HD ELITE

zaxxon

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Dinwiddie VA USA
Thinking about buying one of these but I do have a question:

The add states that the azbox hd can be used as an internet browser,

Is this possible??????? I can only receive dial up internet, or are they talking about something else.

Need some help on this one.

Thinking about buying one of these but I do have a question:

The add states that the azbox hd can be used as an internet browser,

Is this possible??????? I can only receive dial up internet, or are they talking about something else.

Need some help on this one.

If you have a LAN, then the other response is right, however you do have to set up the Azbox so that it knows the IP# of the gateway, which would be your router. This would be true whether you use dialup or some other service. I use it with dialup when my satellite internet is down.

However, if you don't have a LAN, ie just have you computer connected to the dialup modem, or if you have an internal modem in the computer, then you probably don't have a router, and your computer is the gateway, and you need to tell the Azbox the IP# of your computer. This is all assuming that you have the Azbox connected successfully via a network cable. The main setup screen in the Azbox will tell you if internet is available or not, and under "Internet", it has menus to enter the IP#s manually, or, if you have your computer set up as a DHCP server, then it should automatically give the Azbox this info. I have mine set up manually, so I'm not positive whether the DHCP method works, although I *THINK* that I tried it once sucessfully.
Also, I guess that it's possible that if you don't have a LAN, that the network ports may not be set up in your computer, and that process can be OS dependent, but it's easy once you get it to a state where your network NIC shows up when you right click on My Network Places (assuming XP or other similar OSs) .
Anyway, it might help if you further describe your system. Also, if you have your computer directly connected to your dialup modem, I strongly urge you to use a software router of some kind. I use a very old version of Winroute with my dialup modem. It used to be that there were external routers that would function with dialup (I think), but now routers only seem to work with cable, satellite or DSN type modems that are on 24/7. But a router will really increase your security when on the web. I helped 2 neighbors set up their computers via dialup, and both had attempted security attacks within a couple minutes of dialing up the first time. At the time, I hadn't had such an attack in 6-8 years of using Winroute going into the same ISP.

Zaxxon,

One thing you will want to see come about is a wireless keyboard and mouse application "plug-in" for the AZBox.

I find it a pain to use the remote to access and navigate the browser. I wish to type and search more quickly than what the remote allows.

RADAR

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)