AZBox HD Premium HDD

Possible so you can easily connect the Drive to a PC or other non-Linux device?

Lak,

edit here: I believe I understand what you mean, so that it remains compatible with a non-Linux PC to allow the data recorded to be exchanged with that PC or other device.

Yes, if I allow the receiver to format the drives with a linux format, they all play ball together.

I am thinking very seriously about buying a new HD for my PC and formatting it with a Linux based OS instead of MS Windows. The more I read about LINUX, the more I am swayed in that direction.

I have a great deal of learning to do before I make such a jump, but I think it might be a good decision in the long run.

I have a lot of experimentation to go through before that. But, I am willing to give it an effort. I think that there is a lot of work ahead of me. Well heck, I have to start somewhere.

Let's just see what happens, shall we? I will report back with info as I find it.

RADAR

Last edited:
Update:

I haven't yet attempted to record a program of this length, so I cannot inform anyone as to how this works on this AZBox, but at least it will record the HD and high bit rate (symbol rate) transmissions.

thanks AcWxRadar for this post was only looking for info in the fta section.

those PBS stations we get are not HI bitrate those are under 20 i can record them on my sv-8000.
when i try to record cbs Gal 28 89*w 3920 V 29860 dvb-s2/8psk fec 9/10 pilot 0
my premium has a fit. not sure of the bit rate there. but don't try it.
testing this box may never end. or i quit.

linux formated hard drive

does anyone know of a software one can use on a PC so you can see a linux formated hard drive ?
this poor hard drive i'm using for testing this box has been reformated 9 times. in all my years the most times i've formated a hd is 3 i think.
thanks alot

thanks jim
for coming thru with this. hoped you would.
when you hit format (usb or internal) with this box you go from fat-32 to a linux formated drive.
... my trouble is when i record the hi bit cbs feed the box just locks up till i remove the internal HD. now i can check if it does record or not. seems like it does but with this box no sure things lol

thanks AcWxRadar for this post was only looking for info in the fta section.

those PBS stations we get are not HI bitrate those are under 20 i can record them on my sv-8000.
when i try to record cbs Gal 28 89*w 3920 V 29860 dvb-s2/8psk fec 9/10 pilot 0
my premium has a fit. not sure of the bit rate there. but don't try it.
testing this box may never end. or i quit.

MadMadWorld,

Would you pick a Ku band channel that you have a problem with recording so that I may attempt to record it? I do not quite understand what you mean by a high BIT RATE signal if it is not HD or DVBS-2 (8PSK). What else could you be referring to? 16PSK? or 4:2:2? You have me a little lost as I do not understand what signal you could be attemting to record that is not working.

Please provide several channels in the Ku band that you cannot record and I will test them for recording myself.

RADAR

MadMadWorld,

Would you pick a Ku band channel that you have a problem with recording so that I may attempt to record it? I do not quite understand what you mean by a high BIT RATE signal if it is not HD or DVBS-2 (8PSK). What else could you be referring to? 16PSK? or 4:2:2? You have me a little lost as I do not understand what signal you could be attemting to record that is not working.

Please provide several channels in the Ku band that you cannot record and I will test them for recording myself.

RADAR
The cbs channel is 38 MBPS data rate for the video feed.The only Hd FTA box known to be able to records a feed with this high of a bitrate is the pansat 9200HD or a pc satellite tuner card.The channel bitrate on the pbs stations on Ku
AMC 21 or 17mbps and can be recorded with any HD fta pvr.The bitrate of the channels on dishnetwork are 6 mbps.This shows how much compression they use compared to FTA wild feeds.Any ESPN or Cbs backhaul is 35 to 40 mbps at a minium.
AcWxRadar,the high bitrate he is referring to is the compression rate of the feed you are watching.

The cbs channel is 38 MBPS data rate for the video feed.The only Hd FTA box known to be able to records a feed with this high of a bitrate is the pansat 9200HD or a pc satellite tuner card.The channel bitrate on the pbs stations on Ku

I haven't done it for a while, so my memory might be suspect, but I"m pretty sure that my Coolsat 8100 recorded the high bitrate stuff OK. I used to use it on the old CBS 4.2.0 HD stuff, and I'm pretty sure that I recorded it from time to time, and the 4.2.0 HD was higher bitrate than this 4.2.2 stuff they have now (not sure I understand why), seems like it was up above 40, although I think it was variable bitrate, and wasn't so high on slates, whereas PBS must be fixed bitrate, and doesn't vary from slates to action. I can't remember anything that the 8100 wouldn't record. Of course it wouldn't be able to play back this 4.2.2 stuff, but it should record it.

UFS Explorer is much more friendly, doesn't required any drivers, etc.

Smith, P.

Thank you for the suggestion of the UFS Explorer. I haven't researched that yet. Is UFS Explorer a freeware, or do you have to purchase it?

Sidebar comment: There is some great FEED coverage on CBS Newspath on sat 99.0'W of the forest fire out in ??? CA? Nice videos they are shooting from a Huey.

RADAR

days of testing

after a couple days of testing my findings.
updating the firmware is important, after going to 2372 and having the hard drive formated to linux in the azbox it recorded fine. was told (euro forum)any firmware under 2372 would not work,did not work for me with 2288. i now use 2888. lost all lnb settings with this update.oh wel.
AcWxRadar
there will be a few hd nfl KU feeds thursday these are hi bitrate. but before you try read this.
but i will post one here if you want to try thursday evening.
................................................................................................
but i still can not record hi bitrate feeds i am guessing here but still seems to have a cap at 20Mbps. can record HD stations with as hi as 16 Mbps (all i can find). but when i try live hd sports feeds(gueesing again 25 to 40Mbps) this box locks up bad. such as will not boot up with the hard drive hooked up inside. i had to take the HD out reformat to fat 32 and then to linux in box to get the hd to work again inside the box.

since this box will use a usb box with a hard drive formated to fat 32 this is what i will do for recordings that i want to save or transfer. much easier.

Last edited:
since this box will use a usb box with a hard drive formated to fat 32 this is what i will do for recordings that i want to save or transfer. much easier.

MadMadWorld,

Since I have the Premium model which allows the internal HDD, I am now able to use both the internal HDD and the external USB HDD. I have found that I can record to either one, and then transfer (copy or move) the recording to either drive as I desire.

This allows me to put the recording on the external HDD and then bring it over to my PC much easier. Of course, as mentioned above, my PC does not recognize the content of the Linux formatted HDD, so I will have to remedy that through another channel.

I desire to have some means to edit the programs that I record. Change the title, edit out the commercials, strip the junk from before and after the program, etc. I think you are trying to head in this direction as well, hopefully we can help eachother out with this venture.

I am going to look for the UFS Explorer download that Smith, P. recommended and give that a shot. Thanks Smith!

RADAR

I had few issues with internal HD.

Non of my HDs were recognized when drve was set to SATA II. ( Few Seagate 3.5 " Maxtor, and Samsung 2.5 ")
After I switched disks to SATA I, ( Samsung didn't have this option, so I exchanged for another Seagate 2.5''), box recogized them.
Right now, I'm using Seagate 500GB 7200 2.5 ".

Only problem I have, is sharing... I use to able start SMB, but right now, looks like service isn't starting. If on the setting I choose 'Execute', is is working, but whe choosing 'Setup', info message is staying util I hit OK or cancel. It does not disapper by itself as use to.
FW 0.9 2880 I've refalashed it with older version ( Clean install) and still doesn't work

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of using a program to read Linux formatted disks, when all you need to do is connect via the ethernet port, via FTP or Telnet, and transfer whatever files you want over the LAN. Done this way, there should be no need for any translation.
That being said, since I have an elete, with no internal disk, I'll be using FAT32 anyway, that is if they ever enable it for high bitrates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)