AzBox HD Premium Internet traffic

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
My AzBox is connected to the internet by cat5 cable to a linksys WRT110 router. There is clearly traffic between my box and the internet and I would like to know what is going on.
Is there anyway of monitoring the packets being sent and received by the box either via the box itself or via the router it is connected to ?
Thanks
Tony

Search using google for "azbox tcpdump". There is a site that has tcpdump v4.1.1
Works quite well for me, I have an Elite.

Thanks for this I found the software and downloaded it to my laptop. Presumably I must now transfer it to the azbox using Fileilla but what directory should I put it in
Thanks Happy Christmas
Tony

When I installed it I copied it to an external USB drive. Then I ssh'd into the azbox.
Copied it to /DISK2

Changed it to be executable 'chmod 755 tcpdump'
Then ran it with 'tcpdump -i eth0'
You may want to filter out your ssh session when viewing the packets.

'/DISK2/tcpdump -i eth0 | grep -v ssh'

Would the AZBox respond to the Windows Master Browser selection processes? If only to identify itself and the fact it doesn't qualify as a Master Browser?

Many thanks for this . I did as you suggest but when I try to run 'tcpdump -i eth0 I get an error message saying command not found.
In the directory listing for DISK2 I see tcpdump* with an asterisk after it and it is displayed in green. I am not sure what that means : my linux knowlege is poor !
Thanks again
Tony

You are getting close, the * means that it's executable. You could try to change to the directory first before trying to run it. Make sure that you have the ./ before the program name. This means 'just run from the current directory'

i.e
cd /DISK2
./tcpdump -i eth0

Still no luck I am afraid. I still get an error message saying command not found. I guess it might be due to version differences or permissions.
The Azbox is running 0.9.5306 and while in Putty then help gives GNU Bash 3.00.16(1)-release

I have a laptop loaded with Ubuntu 11.10 and tcpdump works fine on that, but it wont load on the Azbox.

Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Ok, do this and send the output or just compare what my values are.

When you are logged into the azbox
type 'ls -alFi /DISK2/tcpdump'

my tcpdump file listing looks like the following:
51 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1191163 Nov 20 18:13 tcpdump*

Note the file size and permissions for /DISK2/tcpdump should be the same.

To be 100% sure we have the same file, find the md5sum hash with the following command:

'md5sum /DISK2/tcpdump'

This is my output:
d6ab76c1c563ccc004260b32d0a32bab /DISK2/tcpdump
Your md5sum hash should be exactly the same for this file.

Many Many thanks. The permissions were correct the md5sum was correct but then I noticed you were running from root. I was trying to run from the DISK2 directory.
I then reread your post and you were invoking with /DISK2/tcpdump. I was in DISK2 trying to invoke with tcpdump. I am not sure why one work and the other doesnt but hey ONE works.
Many Many thanks I owe you
several beers !!
Tony

Not a problem, what you can do to try to satisfy your curiosity is to change into the /DISK2 directory and run tcpdump with a "dot" "slash" in front of the command i.e.

cd /DISK2
./tcpdump

you may have missed the fact there is a . before the /

Anyway if I'm every in Panama I'll take you up on the beer offer :)

Many Many thanks. The permissions were correct the md5sum was correct but then I noticed you were running from root. I was trying to run from the DISK2 directory. I then reread your post and you were invoking with /DISK2/tcpdump. I was in DISK2 trying to invoke with tcpdump. I am not sure why one work and the other doesnt but hey ONE works. Many Many thanks I owe you several beers !! Tony
When in /DISK2, execute ./tcpdump - not just tcpdump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts