Azbox puts "protected content" on programs??

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK this is weird but not the 1st time I've seen this happen with the azbox

wanted to record a CFB game since I wont be able to see the whole game right now. No biggie I'll just record it. Its in HD so I have to use the azbox. Hooked up my dvd recorder/hard drive that I use to record most programs through a/v cables.

When I try to record, on the dvd recorder/hard drive I get a "protected content" message and it wont record. If I set up a timer on the recorder, it does the same thing. I hooked up the Coolsat 8000 and tried it and the recorder works just fine. Its recording the game right now

This is not the 1st time I've had the azbox "block" a recording to an external recording device. I could try the hard drive that is attached but its a higher bitrate feed so it wont record right.

Anybody else have an external recording device (not a hard drive you hook to the USB port but using the A/V or component cables) and run into this?

Does the HD stream PLAY out of those outputs to a TV set? If so, I'm wondering how it knows you are going to record the output, unless the recorder is communicating over the link. I didn't think that was an option on an analog connection.
:(

A/V cables - What kind of A/V cable did you use to connect the dvd recorder/hard drive to the Azbox?

Unless its going over HDMI, I don't follow how that could happen.

All consumer equipment is supposed to refuse to record if it detects a Macrovision signal. (In the videotape days, the Macrovision signal would just overload the AGC, making the recording unwatchable.) The question is why the Macrovision output in the AZbox is getting turned on. (One could also question why an FTA manufacturer is paying to license Macrovision in the first place, but I suspect that it just comes with the chips.)

All consumer equipment is supposed to refuse to record if it detects a Macrovision signal. (In the videotape days, the Macrovision signal would just overload the AGC, making the recording unwatchable.) The question is why the Macrovision output in the AZbox is getting turned on. (One could also question why an FTA manufacturer is paying to license Macrovision in the first place, but I suspect that it just comes with the chips.)

DVD players act wonky when running through a VCR with standard RCA cables.

might have something to do with selectable output control. riaa and mpaa ways of controlling what we do with our hardware. google it.

crackt out,.

Iceberg was that a broadcast channel you were using or just a CFB wildfeed? That would suck bigtime if you couldn't record the feeds. Well it sucks anyway regardless of where you were trying to record from. Wonder if that will make the Azbox less desirable for fta now?

Wonder if that will make the Azbox less desirable for fta now?

It could be a bug, meaning it could get fixed. But let me tell you, all these bugs that I keep hearing about aren't making the AZbox very desirable to me. I'd be more inclined to get a receiver for my computer, at least until the AZbox gets blind scan. (Then again, who says that's going to actually happen?)

Does the HD stream PLAY out of those outputs to a TV set? If so, I'm wondering how it knows you are going to record the output, unless the recorder is communicating over the link. I didn't think that was an option on an analog connection.
:(

yes it did play fine

it went azbox to the red/yellow/white cables to the dvd recorder/hard drive (Accurian Radio Shack model...I've spoken about it a few times)

I flipped on COMP 2 which is the setting on the TV for the recorder and picture was nice and clean. no issues

A/V cables - What kind of A/V cable did you use to connect the dvd recorder/hard drive to the Azbox?

Unless its going over HDMI, I don't follow how that could happen.

it did. It was the standard a/v cables (red/white/yellow)

Like I say, the Coolsat 8000 worked fine when I hooked that up

I've seen it happen on a couple of programs on the GDMX channels (G16 C-Band 4:2:2 channels)...assuming because some shows are shown earlier than the actual broadcast they dont want people recording it and putting it on youtube or something

But those programs I can record directly to a Western Digital HDD that I hook to the USB port and it works just fine. One time I tried to record a show and the DVD recorder said "protected content" and when I hooked it to a VCR I got the macrovision on the VCR so it is possible the azbox is doing something like that. I cant try the Coolsat 8000 as it cant do 4:2:2 and the Quali I have the analog ports are shot in it

DVD players act wonky when running through a VCR with standard RCA cables.

its not...its a DVD Recorder/Hard Drive that I have used to record programs off FTA & Starchoice for 5 years now...have 3 of the Accurian and a Poloroid and it just started doing this when I use the azbox

Iceberg was that a broadcast channel you were using or just a CFB wildfeed? That would suck bigtime if you couldn't record the feeds. Well it sucks anyway regardless of where you were trying to record from. Wonder if that will make the Azbox less desirable for fta now?

It was the Minnesota/South Dakota State Game feed from Big 10

What is weird is the 1st game in the new stadium (MN/Air Force Sept 12th) I used the same azbox and had NO issues (I had the azbox for 3 days at the time). Game recorded fine set up the exact same way...same cables...same recorder

ADR-3223

80GB hard drive with DVD recorder built in

Like I say Ive used this recorder and azbox setup for 2 months now to record a few games and havent run into this before (sports feed wise)

I think its by program

Found a big 10 basketball feed and just tried it and it records just fine. Hit record and it says "RECORDING" instead of "PROTECTED CONTENT"

Yeah, it goes by provider and content. PPV content and some premium channels from D* and E* will do the same thing. I guess the CS8000 doesn't pass that information through, whereas the AZBox does. Maybe it's a chipset thing. I know there are codes to remove region protection on your recorder, but I don't think there are any secret menus to remove the protection. The only thing I can find are boxes (as described above) that hook between the stb and the dvd-recorder and strip the protection.

It sounds like Big10 had that 'protection' enabled on that one broadcast, if you're seeing it now and its not there. Maybe by accident (or a test?) I bet it won't be long before that little feature is enabled on nearly everything. But I really can't see it on college football, lol.

I've seen where they can set different flags on the NTSC modulator that feeds an uplink transmitter. I'm assuming one of those flags must have been turned on. According to a friend of mine, most of the professional equipment (like the receivers they use) ignore those consumer content protection flags. Your DVD recorder was seeing it. Weird that the Coolsat didn't pass it though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)