Azbox Ultra HD preview

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
There are already a couple of threads discussing the Ultra and I don't have time for a formal review but I did take some pictures which I thought might be of interest. While the Ultra (like the Premium +) currently have some issues, I'm optimistic they will be addressed by firmware and I will (hopefully) have a box that can do S2, 4:2:2 and has hardware blindscan. pics are from installation of hard drive. Its designed for easy installation of a desktop drive. I happen to have a 250GB 7200rpm laptop drive that wasn't being used so it worked out well. I would have liked to have seen them vent rear of the hard drive bracket adjacent to where the fan is to blow air directl over the drive but that is something you could do yourself if so inclined by drilling a few holes and filing. They did include a card slot which is accessed on the side. once drive is installed, formatting was painless although my HDMI connection did go dark during the format. I connected a composite cable and was able to watch as it was formatted. when completed it reboots and thats it. haven't tried recording anything yet, maybe tommorow.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,145
  • front with ruler.jpg
    front with ruler.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,118
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,291
  • top open.jpg
    top open.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,283
  • top opened.jpg
    top opened.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,026
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,276
  • drive pics.jpg
    drive pics.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,194
  • drive just in.jpg
    drive just in.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,293
  • drive in.jpg
    drive in.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,290
  • harddrive final.jpg
    harddrive final.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,060
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,660
In the 4th and 5th pictures showing the unit with the top removed, you can see the combo sata/power cable. The drive I installed was unformatted and I included screen shots before and after the format.

I agree, screen shots are pretty dark but the best I could do. You are clicking on the thumbnails and not trying to see the little pictures right?

Right.

Well, I ordered one myself - I gave up on Sadoun shipping the SatHawk - so I'll get a chance to see 'em close up and personal.

I agree, screen shots are pretty dark but the best I could do. You are clicking on the thumbnails and not trying to see the little pictures right?

Well, unfortunately, my azbox ultra got here before my dish, so there's not much to see. I did throw in the HD; I might go plug it in with no antenna just for kicks....

Mr3p >Thanks for sharing those pix. I am guessing the fan is extracting but the casing shows no inlet vents, are there any on the base? My concern is AZ box processors run quite hot.

Does the card slot on the side count as an inlet? ;) Everything is temporarily disconnected as I'm in the middle of rewiring but I didn't notice the box generating a lot of heat. After everything is setup again, I'll put my hand on it after its been running for a while and let you know. My box probaby will run a little cooler as I used a laptop drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)