AZBOXHD 8PSK Turbo TUNER

it apears to use a loopout connection, I dont understand why they keep doing that with these addon tuners, why not just make it a second tuner ?

I think this is just a DVB-S2 tuner for those people who only bought the Premium Plus with 1 tuner and want to upgrade with a 2nd tuner. There would be no need for AzBox to design a Turbo 8PSK tuner as there is no legitimate use for it.

If it was just a second turner then why would they have a jump cable? all the other tuner that are made by azbox does not use or need a jump cable. These are the orginial AZBOXHD turners none need jump cable and plus they are only 59.00 bucks from AZ

Attachments

• Azbox-Plus-DVB-S2_Azbox-HD-Premium-Plus-DVB-S2-HDTV-Tuner.jpg
    Azbox-Plus-DVB-S2_Azbox-HD-Premium-Plus-DVB-S2-HDTV-Tuner.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 583
  • AZBox-C-Tuner_AZBox-HD-DVB-C-Tuner.jpg
    AZBox-C-Tuner_AZBox-HD-DVB-C-Tuner.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Hmm first the Enigma2 Opensource is released, now the 8PSK module is available.. hmm hmm hmmmmmm

I don't like the sound of this.

Enigma2 = Linux Operating System for Dreamboxes which are Open Sources. There are many developing Teams working with these, PLi, Nabilio, to name a few.

Hmm first the Enigma2 Opensource is released, now the 8PSK module is available.. hmm hmm hmmmmmm

I don't like the sound of this.

why not ? I love opensrc, I dont use any of my sat equipment on anything but opensrc. I love being able to get right into the nitty gritty and fix bugs myself insted of waiting around for some developer on the other side of the planet to decide its market worthy. Look how long it took sathawk to just support diseqc commands. Look how many dvb apps dont support uncommitted switch's or motors properly.

I really cant see why anyone wouldnt like opensrc.

edit: w00t 1000 posts!

why not ? I love opensrc, I dont use any of my sat equipment on anything but opensrc. I love being able to get right into the nitty gritty and fix bugs myself insted of waiting around for some developer on the other side of the planet to decide its market worthy. Look how long it took sathawk to just support diseqc commands. Look how many dvb apps dont support uncommitted switch's or motors properly.

I really cant see why anyone wouldnt like opensrc.

edit: w00t 1000 posts!

The big "1000". In my opinion, you don't post enough !
:)

it apears to use a loopout connection, I dont understand why they keep doing that with these addon tuners, why not just make it a second tuner ?

? perhaps it doesn't have an lnb power supply and needs to be slaved? Or perhaps it can be used independently, but they just provide the jumper if you want to slave it? Curious though.

I think this is just a DVB-S2 tuner for those people who only bought the Premium Plus with 1 tuner and want to upgrade with a 2nd tuner. There would be no need for AzBox to design a Turbo 8PSK tuner as there is no legitimate use for it.
As N2bnfunn posted below, this doesn't look like the Azbox DVB-S2 tuner. And I agree with Updatelee, as there is lots of "legitimate" FTA to be found on DN, and it's often using the turbo modes, so nothing wrong with selling a turbo tuner. But $140 is a high price to pay for that capability. The Genpix gives you that plus you get DCII and DVB and DSS.

If it was just a second turner then why would they have a jump cable? all the other tuner that are made by azbox does not use or need a jump cable. These are the orginial AZBOXHD turners none need jump cable and plus they are only 59.00 bucks from AZ

A while back, there was one of those Miami places selling the DVB-S2 tuner. I can't remember the price but it was definately less than $140. Now, however, I can't find the place that was selling them, and/or the guy isn't selling them anymore. The Rick guy say's he's going to be selling them for $140 soon though, which is strange.

Anyway, was the $59 price from a US seller? Only place I see them is from a European site, also for more than $59. I wish I had bought one when I saw them for sale, but I was waiting for them to work the bugs out of the premium plus. Now doesn't seem worth getting a plus if you can't get a reasonably priced DVB-S2 tuner.

skydefender,
the Genpix Skywalker is designed for use with a PC, not the AZbox. that being said, I'm now wondering if a Genpix would work with a AZBbox running Enigma2? From the update page on the Genpix website, "8PSK-to-USB2 adapter is already supported by Linux." I have an AZBox Ultra so its a moot point for me but it would be interesting if a driver could be loaded in AZbox Premium running E2 to use the Genpix tuner as a second tuner.

skydefender,
the Genpix Skywalker is designed for use with a PC, not the AZbox. that being said, I'm now wondering if a Genpix would work with a AZBbox running Enigma2? From the update page on the Genpix website, "8PSK-to-USB2 adapter is already supported by Linux." I have an AZBox Ultra so its a moot point for me but it would be interesting if a driver could be loaded in AZbox Premium running E2 to use the Genpix tuner as a second tuner.

i thought the same thing about a dvbworld 2104d. add blindscan to the elites / premiums. i dont see why it wouldnt be possible. not so much different than using a usb wifi adapter. another reason why public source code is important.

crackt out,.

View attachment enigma 2 y genpix.zip

look at it:

here is the second beta test.
Need some volunteers
right now, only 8PSK-to-USB2 adapter Rev.2 and SkyWalker-1 are supported (adapter Rev.1 is not; need some time to implement firmware loading).

there are two files in the beta_2_package:
genpix.ko (driver module for genpix devices)
gp (data-pumping thread)

what you have to do:
1) copy genpix.ko (chmod 644) somewhere into modules folder; I prefer to put it together with all other modules:
/lib/modules/2.6.12-5.1-brcmstb-dm800/extra/
2) copy gp (chmod 755) somewhere where you can find it (I use /usr/bin/ )
2) depmod -a (need to run only once)
3) update-modules (need to run only once)
4) modprobe genpix (make sure genpix device is connected to DM800 at this moment; need to run after every reboot)
5) in a separate telnet window run /usr/bin/gp (or /usr/bin/gp & , if you want to close telnet window after that).
this is a data-pumping thread (it runs in user space), and you can see a lot of info traces when enigma2 starts to talk to genpix device
6) restart enigma2

Limitations:
1) all adapterN, demuxN names are hard-coded in gp for now. I assume you have one internal DVB-S2 card inside (single tuner).
2) genpix USB device is not "usual" plug'n'play (if you unplug it after you started gp, kernel will crash).
3) gp is not restartable at this moment (if you kill it, you would not be able to start another instance of gp - you have to reboot first).
4) gp runs the thread in user space now. I plan to move it into kernel space in the future (inside genpix.ko).
5) only one genpix device is supported for now (this is current enigma2 limitations).
support of two devices is possible in the future.
It depends on DMM programmers. They did not put much effort into it (cause there were no demands for external tuner). Now they may to start ironing the code.

If you want to scan plain QPSK transponders, select DVB-s (AutoFEC should always work).
If you want to scan Turbo-FEC 8PSK, select DVB-S2 and 8PSK.
If you want to scan Turbo-FEC QPSK, select DVB-S2 and QPSK (these are transponders on sat 118).

As I already said:
With these files, I can watch h.264 HD now (there is HD Theatre channel in the clear on sat 110, 12399R 21500 8PSK 2/3).

added:
forgot to mention, gp can not be restarted because of current limitations in enigma2.

1. As I said, this portion of the code was not extensively developed (cause nobody used "external tuner" feature before, thus there were no demand).

Beta_2 changes: gp file is changed, doubled re-tune delay (helps for weak transponders)

New gp file (pollpri): if you have the latest DM drivers, use the new gp pump (from gp_pollpri tar).
It uses less CPU resources.

New gp file (beta 3): in addition to pollpri changes, pump "doubles" the tune timeout (skips the second identical tune attempt).

New genpix.ko file (beta 4): added support for fec= 2/3 and 5/6 for Turbo-coded QPSK streams

New genpix.ko file (r1): the same as above but compiled for kernel 2.6.18 used in OE-1.6.

Azbox HD Premium Plus

Will the channels in the clear work with Azbox HD Premium Plus without turbo 8psk? What is required to install the turbo 8psk? And, where does one purchase the turbo 8psk? Thanks in advance for all information pertaining to the turbo 8psk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)