Back to being a Satellite guy

Ganthet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Well, after two years with Google Fiber TV circumstances have brought me back to Dish. (Splitting from the wife and my new place does not get GF)

Tried local cable with a TIVO first (TWC/Spectrum) but was very disappointed with the picture quality. Sold the Tivo to a friend and went back to Dish. I'm very happy with the Hopper 3 and the picture quality is quite superior. I've missed the Hopper features like Game Finder, and TV Anywhere. Looking forward to trying the new stuff that my Hopper 2000 didn't have.

Well, after two years with Google Fiber TV circumstances have brought me back to Dish. (Splitting from the wife and my new place does not get GF)

Tried local cable with a TIVO first (TWC/Spectrum) but was very disappointed with the picture quality. Sold the Tivo to a friend and went back to Dish. I'm very happy with the Hopper 3 and the picture quality is quite superior. I've missed the Hopper features like Game Finder, and TV Anywhere. Looking forward to trying the new stuff that my Hopper 2000 didn't have.
Just curious...what kind of box comes with Google Fiber? Is it as good as the Hopper? Are all channels IPTV?

Reactions: DWS44
Just curious...what kind of box comes with Google Fiber? Is it as good as the Hopper? Are all channels IPTV?
Yes, all GFTV's channels are IPTV. They are also nearly uncompressed with each channel using roughly 15Mbps

Their current generation of TV has the DVR combined with their router, which Google calls "The network Box". Each TV gets a box called a "TV Box" (gotta love the names) which is just a client like the Joey. The software is based off the Sage TV platform.

In terms of functionality the Hopper has it beat hands down. I've attached a comparison I made when I first got GF. GF did do a UI upgrade to the TV OS, but the review is still pretty accurate.

Attachments

• Hopper vs GFTV.docx
    3.1 MB · Views: 287

First to show where my mind is when you said "Splitting from the wife and my new place does not get GF" I read GF as girlfriend... was trying to figure that out... :)

Second, no one leaves the Family. :shh

If I'm understanding this you came from GF with no compression to the most compressed Satellite provider and you still think the PQ is great after a short stint with TWC/Spectrum. Well maybe Dish isn't that bad after all.

I'm the opposite...I moved from a house with Charter/Spectrum and Tivos to a new house that I was told would be serviced by Charter. Only to find out that the underground cable run stopped 350ft from my house and Charter would not be spending the time or money to extend it to my location.

So I had to go to Dish and the Hopper which isn't bad but I miss my Tivos and Charter.

This is just a rental while we buy/build a new house which I made damn sure is in a Charter service area.

Cable PQ can vary remarkably depending on where you are. TWC (now Spectrum) in my area was definitely not better than Dish the last time I tried to use it.

Reactions: pattykay
If I'm understanding this you came from GF with no compression to the most compressed Satellite provider and you still think the PQ is great after a short stint with TWC/Spectrum. Well maybe Dish isn't that bad after all.

Just to be clear I'm not saying Dish's PQ is superior to Google's. It is considerably better than what I was getting from TWC though.

Reactions: pattykay and camo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)