Backfeed TV2 and Get OTA through one cable?

klack

Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Hi guys. I just signed up with dish. I have a Dish 1000.2 feeding a VIP722 on TV1. They set it up so that it also feeds TV2 through the same cable.

My question is, can I add an OTA antenna where my dish is? I want to be able to recieve OTA, DISH, and backfeed tv2 with one cable. Is that possible?

It's not hard - I do the same thing using a few lengths of RG6 and a couple 5-900 MHz splitters. My setup also feeds signal from the antenna directly into the TV, which has both analog and digital tuners. (The TV is set up to ignore the analog signals, and I know I will have to rescan after February 17.)

Be advised....the use of diplexers is a common method of multiple channel flexibilities. If you add a local antenna input, make certain that the correct side of the diplexer is tapped. When the OTA is connected, the output of #2 tuner may need to be shifted to a different UHF/Cable frequency to avoid interference from a strong OTA signal.

You also need to be connect the splitter properly. Signals will pass freely through a standard CATV splitter in either forward or reverse directions with only slightly more than 3 db of insertion loss. Where novices get into trouble doing this is not realizing that the port-to-port isolation (between the 2 splitter output ports) is quite high, typically 30 db. Thus it is important to connect the splitter correctly when tying it into the "2nd room" backfeed leg.

Forget trying to get OTA into the 2nd room. Concentrate instead on getting it to the receiver. Chances are your 2nd room TV is analog anyway and analog signals are going away.

You will also want to make sure that you are not transmitting your TV1/TV2 output on the same terrestrial channel that you can receive with your antenna.

Boy, I see potentially bad information still gets spread thicker than chunky peanut butter on wonder bread in this venue. To much instant un-thinking off the top crap being disseminated here. Some of your responders don't seem to actually know the difference between a diplexer, standard SAT signal splitter, and a DishPro Plus Separator.

Tell me, just how do you feed TV2 off the same cable (???); when the output of your VIP722 TV2 connector is video and audio? You need to correctly frame your question.

Your DPP Plus Triple LNB should normally be feeding a DP44 switch. If so, do two receiver outputs from the DP44 feed into a DPP Separator and then feed through a single RG6U cable to another DPP Separator and then into your VIP722 Tuner 1 and Tuner 2? If yes, I believe best practice dictates that you would use two (2) Holland DPD2 5-2150 MHz Diplexer Signal Combiner and Splitter units to get OTA signal injection to the VIP722.

But remember, free technical advice is often times worth exactly what you pay for it.

You feed the RF from the agile modulator, in fact you can feed two channels into the stream, on for TV1 and one for TV2.

Yes, you can diplex the RF output from the 622/722/612 back into the satellite cable with diplexers and distribute it to your outboard TV's.

I do not recommend diplexing OTA into the satellite feed nor RF outout into same because of losses incurred with such but it is done and it is not rare.

I have fed an FTA receiver and a 722 to TV2 over the same cable using a splitter as a combiner with excellent results. But what I would like to do is get a notch filter and feed it into the cable distribution box I have for the entire house. Havent found any cheap notch filters though.

I have combined my OTA and two 722 dual outputs on one cable and then amplified and fed that to 2 levels of split output. These sub-900 MHz signals go to both local Dish receivers, a DVD+ recorder, 2 TVs, and is diplexed with a Dish cable to feed a one cable to a remote 622 receiver and OTA for it.

In theory some signal could be picked up from my antenna but no one is near.

I use receiver output channels 60 62 64 66 (air) and think you need to keep them at least 2 apart as shortly no broadcast channels will be above 59. If mixing with cable signals you could have problems especially with digital/higher numbered channels there.

What happens when the 60 and up OTA channels get "re-purposed"? I don't know.

-Ken

Boy, I see potentially bad information still gets spread thicker than chunky peanut butter on wonder bread in this venue. To much instant un-thinking off the top crap being disseminated here. Some of your responders don't seem to actually know the difference between a diplexer, standard SAT signal splitter, and a DishPro Plus Separator.

Tell me, just how do you feed TV2 off the same cable (???); when the output of your VIP722 TV2 connector is video and audio? You need to correctly frame your question.

Your DPP Plus Triple LNB should normally be feeding a DP44 switch. If so, do two receiver outputs from the DP44 feed into a DPP Separator and then feed through a single RG6U cable to another DPP Separator and then into your VIP722 Tuner 1 and Tuner 2? If yes, I believe best practice dictates that you would use two (2) Holland DPD2 5-2150 MHz Diplexer Signal Combiner and Splitter units to get OTA signal injection to the VIP722.

But remember, free technical advice is often times worth exactly what you pay for it.
Dude.....What are you saying????????????????

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. I don't want an OTA signal going to TV2, I just want to get it to the VIP722 so I can record it. I am going to post a diagram of my current configuration to better communicate my needs.

"If so, do two receiver outputs from the DP44 feed into a DPP Separator and then feed through a single RG6U cable to another DPP Separator and then into your VIP722 Tuner 1 and Tuner 2?"

Huh? You know that you only need one port on the DPP44 to feed a dual tuner receiver. That single cable goes to a DP Separator and then feeds Tuner 1 and Tuner 2.

First of all, klack mantioned that he has a 1000.2 which has a DPP LNB that feeds a single cable directly to a dual tuner receiver and does NOT go through a DPP44 switch. I don't believe that he has a DPP44 switch in his system. Second, since TV2 is being backfed through the same cable going to the 722, I would not use it for OTA, I would run a seperate cable from the OTA to the antenna input on the 722. Once this is done, then you can scan your local channels on your 722, have the ability to record the programming and have it available on both TV1 and TV2.

I have no idea what TXHarleyDude was talking about having a DPP triple LNB feeding a DPP44 switch then the receiver outputs into a DPP seperator into one cable then a seperator behind the receiver, that is not how DPP works. DPP allows the DPP LNB to feed a dual tuner receiver using ONE cable directly from the LNB to the receiver where the DPP seperator is used to feed both tuner 1 and tuner 2. If you look on the seperator, there is a 1 and 2 corresponding to the tuner to which they must be connected. Seperators were not designed to be used anywhere else in the system!

2 more 722 questions.

what's better about having any other sats than 110 and 119

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)