Backfeeding a 722 - do I have this right?

commodore_dude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Alpharetta, GA
I need to add a 3rd TV in my house. Currently I have a 722 in my living room and a 222k in my office, which I'm moving to a bedroom. I'd like to use TV2 from the 722 in my office, but the section of my crawlspace that goes under the living room is nearly inaccessible (Dish installer got a nice tip for running that cable originally!) and I also don't want to drop $100+ on a 5.8ghz wireless transmitter (tried a 2.4ghz Wavecom Jr. and it gets interference from wifi on all channels). I'd seen a few mentions of backfeeding TV2 coax on the same line as the incoming sat line from the dish, and I want to make sure this will work in my case. Starting with the dish, setup is as below:

Dish > ground block (no switch anywhere here) > 1 cable to 222k, 1 cable to 722 (722 then has splitter to each tuner input)

If I purchase two Holland DPD2 diplexers (seems to be the most common one), would I put one in between the wall jack and the splitter going to the 722 inputs and then one between the ground block and the cable going to the living room wall jack through my crawlspace? So at the ground block end, it would go:

Ground block > RG6 > SAT on first DPD2, and VHF/UHF on first DPD2 > RG6 > Office for TV2

and then

IN/OUT on first DPD2 > RG6 > IN/OUT on second DPD2 > VHF/UHF on second DPD2 > RG6 > RF Out on 722, and SAT on second DPD2 > splitter to tuner 1 and tuner 2 on 722

Would this work? I think so from studying Dish diagrams I've seen but they always have more components like a switch, OTA, etc. I would totally rather spend 10 bucks on a couple of diplexers than have to run a new cable all the way to my living room or buy an RF transmitter.

It's got its own line from the dish/through the ground block, so I was thinking by putting the diplexer behind the ground block on the 722 line only it wouldn't affect the 222 at all. Does that work?

what you described is how its done (if i read it right)
just remember one diplexer after the ground block and one behind receiver. they must face each other in/out to in/out. you can also put splitters in the uhf/vhf line for more tv's. and yes holland is a prefered brand with the proper voltage pass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts