Dish video on demand

chess

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Is dish planning to ever update their video on demand? I switched from Directv in January and it seems the VOD is very limited. You would think they would at least have the movie network content like showtime. In fact, I just added showtime and fully expected to see the content. Not there. Dish is a lot cheaper but on demand is the trend where everything is going entertainment wise. I guess I'll have to switch back once my contract is up. :(

From what some posters are saying Dish will be doing some changes to their VOD to make it more user friendly and on par with D*... Can't remember when it will take place, but I remember reading it here... CC

Has anybody heard if there was any info on increases in VOD when Dish ran the .99 promo? I would love if they made that a monthly feature.

Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
Scott has posted that improvements are coming out soon. Really soon, not the usual Dish soon. And I believe it depends on how you order it. Perhaps online orders get it downloaded to all DVRs on the account. Not sure, but I remember seeing posts saying it can be done.

Is dish planning to ever update their video on demand? I switched from Directv in January and it seems the VOD is very limited. You would think they would at least have the movie network content like showtime. In fact, I just added showtime and fully expected to see the content. Not there. Dish is a lot cheaper but on demand is the trend where everything is going entertainment wise. I guess I'll have to switch back once my contract is up. :(

when was the last time you checked? i ask because i'm interested. also, what software version are you on?

I remember Scott's coverage of Team Summit saying that along with plans to improve the DishONLine VOD, Dish now considers it very important for the future. That's what I remember being reported.

it is very very updated. anyone with a 722k and the new software should push the dvr button to see the new dish on demand.

I don't think it's a high priority with Dish. They don't put much as far as advertising behind it or promote too much as to what programs/movies they deliver on it.
Why advertise or promote it if they're planning to make (big ?) changes to it soon ? People would see a promo about it, check it out, and be disappointed. Later when they really do improve it, people will blow off any ads or promos based on their previous experience.

Of course, it could be like Dish's weather application. They sometimes seem to have the idea that customers have never seen the other options out there, i.e. "Weather on the 8s" on cable, and think that anything they offer is "good". Any former cable subscriber with a decent VOD setup will be very disappointed in Dish's VOD (at the moment). I've never seen D*'s, so I can't comment on it.

lindenray said:
they need to have whole house ppv.like time warner and directv does.if you buy a movie on ppv downstairs you can watch it on all the dvrs in your house.that would help alot.

I can confirm that If you order PPV through the website it is active on all receivers.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you order via remote or online, there is no ordering fee, just the movie fee.

But if you order via phone, there is an additional ordering/handling fee.

I can confirm that If you order PPV through the website it is active on all receivers.

All receivers? Or all DVRs? And if you order an HD movie, and have both SD and HD DVRs, is it available on both type DVRs, in the format appropriate to that DVR?

it is very very updated. anyone with a 722k and the new software should push the dvr button to see the new dish on demand.

"DVR">"5">choose your poison. I like option "2" to look for new additions. Prior to today, it was the only way to get AMC HD programming. There are quite a few free HD movies available for download.

If you order via remote or online, there is no ordering fee, just the movie fee.

But if you order via phone, there is an additional ordering/handling fee.
Via remote, it's just the cost of the movie. Via online or phone, I don't know (personally). I think when you call, there's an automated option that I suspect would be "free". I think the only time there's an add'l fee is if you speak to a person to order the event.

Go to "My Account" at Dish's website. I selected a movie and it tells me just $4.99 due (no asterisks or fine-print that's obvious).

Here we go:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/support/ppv_howToOrder/default.aspx

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)