Backup from Hopper W/ Sling to Hopper 3

sundude90

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waterville, Maine, United States
I just upgraded to the Hopper 3 and noticed in one of the menus (diagnostics, tools) that there is options to restore recordings from another hopper and restore settings from another hopper. Does anyone know if these features work? Like could I have copied my recordings from my Hopper w/ sling to my Hopper 3?

I am asking because when the tech was here I never saw those options and when I asked him if It's possible to backup & restore my timers he said it wasn't possible.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I just upgraded to the Hopper 3 and noticed in one of the menus (diagnostics, tools) that there is options to restore recordings from another hopper and restore settings from another hopper. Does anyone know if these features work? Like could I have copied my recordings from my Hopper w/ sling to my Hopper 3?

I am asking because when the tech was here I never saw those options and when I asked him if It's possible to backup & restore my timers he said it wasn't possible.

Thanks in advance.

You can connect a Hopper 3 to a Hopper, Hopper w/sling, and a Hopper 3 to back up your content. This feature is active and working. The only exception would be if the Hard drive is corrupted and or the unit being copied from is having power issues.

I asked him if It's possible to backup & restore my timers he said it wasn't possible

That's pretty sad that you were told that. Its been possible to backup & restore timers via the remote for several years now. Long before the new Hopper to Hopper Transfers option was added.

That's pretty sad that you were told that. Its been possible to backup & restore timers via the remote for several years now. Long before the new Hopper to Hopper Transfers option was added.
He's not talking about timers here. He is talking about recordings, a whole different thing. Going to an EHD from the original Hopper and then back to the H3 is much faster. Of course if you you don't use Dish Anywhere you can leave the recordings on the EHD and watch them from there.

He's not talking about timers here. He is talking about recordings, a whole different thing

Yeah, I knew he was talking about recordings in his first paragraph, but he specifically said timers in the second paragraph (the portion I quoted) where he was discussing what the installer told him wasn't possible. Maybe he misspoke in that portion and he still meant recordings. Otherwise, it is sad that an installer wouldn't know about backup/restore timer capability using remotes as long as that's been an option.

Yeah, I knew he was talking about recordings in his first paragraph, but he specifically said timers in the second paragraph (the portion I quoted) where he was discussing what the installer told him wasn't possible. Maybe he misspoke in that portion and he still meant recordings. Otherwise, it is sad that an installer wouldn't know about backup/restore timer capability using remotes as long as that's been an option.
Ya know, you're right! :) I got so hung up on the first paragraph I didn't see the whole part of the second!

Reactions: DWS44
You can connect a Hopper 3 to a Hopper, Hopper w/sling, and a Hopper 3 to back up your content. This feature is active and working. The only exception would be if the Hard drive is corrupted and or the unit being copied from is having power issues.

Thank you. I am a little upset as your Technician said I can't transfer anything and took my old box. While I watch most of what i wanted, it would of nice to transfer everything over. I was surprised and shocked when he said I couldn't, but wasn't going to argue with him. I think your techs need to be better trained.

Thanks. I thought there was, as I thought I saw it on here before but wasn't sure. Yeah, I got a new tech, but I think they didn't train him super well on some things. Even the rep I spoke to on the phone said things couldn't be transferred. Ugh, dish needs to better train there employees I think.

Thanks in advance.

I had two techs come to install my H3. One was a supervisor that had never seen an H3 or how it was installed. Neither knew about the timer/config backup/restore via the remote. Sad that somehow they don't get this training.

I also think anyone that orders an upgrade should be informed about content transfer via an external drive AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER so they have time to move everything off the old receiver. The same should apply when ordering a replacement receiver, although that may not be possible if the old receiver has a bad drive or otherwise won't stay running. The fact that techs and sales reps don't know about these features and don't push them means customers unnecessarily loose content, timers and configurations.

I had two techs come to install my H3. One was a supervisor that had never seen an H3 or how it was installed. Neither knew about the timer/config backup/restore via the remote. Sad that somehow they don't get this training.

I also think anyone that orders an upgrade should be informed about content transfer via an external drive AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER so they have time to move everything off the old receiver. The same should apply when ordering a replacement receiver, although that may not be possible if the old receiver has a bad drive or otherwise won't stay running. The fact that techs and sales reps don't know about these features and don't push them means customers unnecessarily loose content, timers and configurations.
And there is the option of transferring them via D.A. for free to your phone that they also never mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)