Bad dish adverts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Enraged newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Forest Hills, New York
These are the reasons why customers get upset when you roll up and they are "promised" to get dish and internet so dang cheap.

This was a advert right off the front page of this website.

Attachments

• dishnetwork.JPG
    dishnetwork.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 318
SOP of nearly every provider. Up to the consumer to research what they get (or don't get).

Reactions: ChadT41
Looks like the Smart Pack combined with some area Internet Provider at a promotional rate. Probably $19.99 for the Smart Pack plus $19.99 for the internet and then a $5 credit for having the two bundled. Boom! $35 bundle coming at ya.

Isn't marketing a wonderful thing? :D

I work for a small local authorized sales & install. We sell, install & service Dish, DirecTV & Exede and have for over 15 years.

We always love the flyers (not ours) that customer call us about, "Get up to 4 rooms with HD and DVR - starting at $19.99 a month!" We tell the customer that the flyer is essentially lying and that is not how it works. Some believe us and thank us for telling the truth, others say we are the ones that are lying and order it from whatever telemarketing company the flyer is from, then they get there 1st bill in a few weeks... Sometimes they will call us back and apologize for not believing us and say they want to cancel and sign up though us now... We tell them sorry, it doesn't work like that, you're in a 2 yr contract with the people who lied to you to get your business, we can't help you now. (Also FYI, we don't make a penny when our competition makes a sale, it is surprising how many people think we do)

It is really one of our biggest irritations, we DO NOT lie up front. When we sell a system, we tell the customer what the full monthly rate is, and then what the discounted rate they are usually getting for the 1st year is. But the companies with no morals, that will lie through their teeth to get a sale, and don't care about the customer after the install is done gets more of the business... It is just wrong.

Completely agree with you Brad. I just got off the phone with a customer a second ago and they called my office because we were verifying their appointment tomorrow and they were saying they don't know if they can even do it now because they were charged 50$ and were never told they were even going to be charged.

Come to find out they clicked a advert online thinking it was actually dish ( because the website looked like dish's) and they were charged a processing fee. Not only that they were told they were getting the hopper and the retailer set them up with a (1) 211 for a 5 room install.

About half of the retailers out there will actually work with integrity and are fine. The other half are full of lies and will set things up that are BS and charge people without telling them.

I've had someone contact me to see what my deals were several years back and they mentioned someone else's advertisement. I told them it was not really that price after the additional fees but they acted like I was lying and said they would go with the other dealer. Never heard back from them since. No since in lying especially when the dealer is on the hook for a year as well. Customer will contract you back mad and cancel even if they are under a contract.

I work for a small local authorized sales & install. We sell, install & service Dish, DirecTV & Exede and have for over 15 years.

We always love the flyers (not ours) that customer call us about, "Get up to 4 rooms with HD and DVR - starting at $19.99 a month!" We tell the customer that the flyer is essentially lying and that is not how it works. Some believe us and thank us for telling the truth, others say we are the ones that are lying and order it from whatever telemarketing company the flyer is from, then they get there 1st bill in a few weeks... Sometimes they will call us back and apologize for not believing us and say they want to cancel and sign up though us now... We tell them sorry, it doesn't work like that, you're in a 2 yr contract with the people who lied to you to get your business, we can't help you now. (Also FYI, we don't make a penny when our competition makes a sale, it is surprising how many people think we do)

It is really one of our biggest irritations, we DO NOT lie up front. When we sell a system, we tell the customer what the full monthly rate is, and then what the discounted rate they are usually getting for the 1st year is. But the companies with no morals, that will lie through their teeth to get a sale, and don't care about the customer after the install is done gets more of the business... It is just wrong.
I cannot tell you the number of times I went to install a new system sold by one these boiler room third party retailers and upon arrival was faced with "the Flyer"....Or "they said it was..."....
The only thing these people were told that was true was that the customer ordered a satellite system

It's true that there are different kinds of retailers. There are local retailers like myself that generally have to rely on customers service and repeat business instead of quantity of sales and then there are national retailers that only care about making as many sales as possible without worrying about service ever. It's best to stay away from most of the national retailers and still with a local one if possible.

Many years ago I installed a system then a week or so later the customer pulls up to my place and shows me a flyer with a better deal. I asked him if he read the fine print, that a credit card was required and the cancellation fees involved. He was like "oh". I ended up getting a chargeback later on with that guy anyways.

I walk a fine line here, being an employee and all, but I totally understand this thread. Trust me, we talk to plenty of upset new customers who set up through a third party and had no idea. Companies like GoDish, InfinityDish, and Altitude Marketing. They charge those $49.99 fees, and they are required to disclose them, but they'll say things like "Well, Dish may charge up to $199 for install. When you set up with us, we ONLY charge a $49.99 setup fee" and move on quickly. Same with all the fees. I suspect the salespeople at these third party resellers are masters at reading it accurate, but fast, so the customer never really hears it. I've had customers set up with these folks, and start yelling at us about where their $19.99 internet is, and I have to tell them if they set up internet, it was not through Dish. Also, those companies, once the install is set, do everything they can to never have to talk to that customer again...they are good at forwarding the calls to the Dish main line.

I don't doubt there are plenty of quality local retailers. I do wonder the business case behind the national ones, though. Maybe Dish will let them put all the effort into marketing for the benefit of the $49.99 fee.

Reactions: brad1138
I walk a fine line here, being an employee and all, but I totally understand this thread. Trust me, we talk to plenty of upset new customers who set up through a third party and had no idea. Companies like GoDish, InfinityDish, and Altitude Marketing. They charge those $49.99 fees, and they are required to disclose them, but they'll say things like "Well, Dish may charge up to $199 for install. When you set up with us, we ONLY charge a $49.99 setup fee" and move on quickly. Same with all the fees. I suspect the salespeople at these third party resellers are masters at reading it accurate, but fast, so the customer never really hears it. I've had customers set up with these folks, and start yelling at us about where their $19.99 internet is, and I have to tell them if they set up internet, it was not through Dish. Also, those companies, once the install is set, do everything they can to never have to talk to that customer again...they are good at forwarding the calls to the Dish main line.

I don't doubt there are plenty of quality local retailers. I do wonder the business case behind the national ones, though. Maybe Dish will let them put all the effort into marketing for the benefit of the $49.99 fee.

The worst part about it is as long as they make lots of sales, Dish doesn't care what they do. A lot of the top sellers are in violation of many Dish rules and regulations, but Dish makes excuses and doesn't do anything about it. One of the biggest issues is installers not being actual employees. Commonly they are payed via 1099, a direct violation (the company doesn't have to pay Social Security for the installer that way). Dish rules state installers must be actual employees with W2. When they are just subcontractors paid via 1099 they are not covered by the employers insurance. If they burn a customers house down, there is no insurance to cover it, and the customer has to sue to get their house fixed.

We are licensed, bonded and insured and I am an actual employee (the way it is supposed to be done). If I burn your house down, you are covered up to 5 million dollars.

My company spends a lot of money to do things the right way, as we watch these huge retailers cut corners and blatantly break the rules to save money and grow... It is beyond frustrating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)