Bad External Hard Drive. Can I clone it to save my recordings and settings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
My External Hard Drive is failing. Can I clone it to retain my recordings and settings? If so, will I need the exact same model Hard Drive or the exact same size? Or can I install a larger one? I have a 2TB connected to my HR-34 and if I can clone it would a 3TB work? I thought the 2TB limit was removed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm sorry for the bump, but I want to order a replacement Hard Drive today. Can I clone it, and if cloning can I use a larger hard drive?

if there's a successful way to do this o would like to know as well. i will never understand why directv doesn't do things with and EHD like Dish does. ridiculous.......

I've heard of people having a Raid configuration where both drives are identical. Why does that work but a cloned hard drive won't work. It doesn't make any sense.

You can clone it. The other site has a guide showing how. I've cloned 3 of them to upgrade my units to larger drives. It uses Gparted. As lon g as your old drive will spin long enough to copy, you can clone it and all will be saved and playable. You'll need 2-4 hours depending on size & speed.

I was going to try the cloning method that was outlined, but the software commands were a little complicated even for me. Luckily for me I was able to fix what I thought was a bad hard drive, so the cloning isn't needed at this time. My 2TB drive has plenty of free space for the moment, so transferring the recordings isn't needed. Now what I don't understand is that if it is possible to do this, why DirecTV still does not allow us to transfer recordings back and forth to any receiver on our account similar to how Dishnetwork and some cable companies allow you to do. This can't simply be a fear of repercussions from content providers as Dishnetwork and some cable providers allow you to do this, but it must be a mentality that it isn't needed or that it's just not worth their time or effort to write the code to enable this feature. But what DirecTV doesn't seem to understand is that the more recordings that someone stands to lose if he were to transfer to another TV provider, the less likely that customer is likely to switch. Enabling this feature could help retention. I do hope that DirecTV soon realizes this and enables full EHD functionality.

I was going to try the cloning method that was outlined, but the software commands were a little complicated even for me. Luckily for me I was able to fix what I thought was a bad hard drive, so the cloning isn't needed at this time. My 2TB drive has plenty of free space for the moment, so transferring the recordings isn't needed. Now what I don't understand is that if it is possible to do this, why DirecTV still does not allow us to transfer recordings back and forth to any receiver on our account similar to how Dishnetwork and some cable companies allow you to do. This can't simply be a fear of repercussions from content providers as Dishnetwork and some cable providers allow you to do this, but it must be a mentality that it isn't needed or that it's just not worth their time or effort to write the code to enable this feature. But what DirecTV doesn't seem to understand is that the more recordings that someone stands to lose if he were to transfer to another TV provider, the less likely that customer is likely to switch. Enabling this feature could help retention. I do hope that DirecTV soon realizes this and enables full EHD functionality.
Don't hold your breath, we've been talking about this for years now.
You should be able to transfer from one recvr to another, but D* doesn't want this for some reason.
As soon as you set up your recvr, it reformats the hard drive, if they took that part of the coed out, it might be able to be done easily.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)