Bad Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

peytonc

Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Hello everyone, Im new here and have a few questions. I recently upgraded to a 622 receiver and ad 1000 dish. After the install my HD channels were terrible the 129 signal was only in the 40's. I called Dish and tech support told me that it should be at least in the 70's and he would send someone out. The same guy came (after he called and told me it was no point in him coming that it would not get any better) and tweaked the dish and got the signal in the 50's. It still has terrible reception. I waited a day to make sure it wasnt weather related (even though it was clear and sunny all week) and then I noticed that on his second trip he took my dp34 switch off my old satellite. I was under the impression that the dish and switch were my property and the receiver would have to go back since it was a lease? I called Dish and was told the dish and switch were mine, I then told the operator that I wanted my switch back and he immediately changed his story and told me that Dish Network owns the switch. To make a long story short theyre sending someone else to try and get my signal up since I told them I did not want the same installer back again. So my questions are should he have taken the switch and whats the deal with the 129 signal? I live in S.C. and from what Ive read mostly people on the west coast are having trouble with 129 not the east coast. Thanks for any suggestions or advice you guys have.

A 34 switch was part of the install. You don't own any of the equipment unless you bought the stuff before the install. If you were leasing the receiver, I doubt you would have had to buy the switch. (not a 34 switch anyway). I'm not 100% sure. I just know that if I upgrade/change a persons service and the existing 34 switch is no longer needed, I'm expected to R/A it through my office.

It sounds like you don't have a line of sight for the 129 at your current dish location. Remember, just because you can get the other two does not mean you are going to get that one.

By line of sight I assume you mean something obstructing the satellite? If thats what you mean theres nothing blocking it, the satellite is mounted on the roof and theres no trees or any obstructions anywhere near my house.

I installed two D1000s here in Va yesterday. 129 is a pain in the derrier even here in Va. I got 75 signal on one and barely 60 on the other. I may go back and tweek the second one on Monday. Simply tightening the nuts on the plumb post altered the signal slightly!!!! It is very touchy.
The 129 footprint cannot be picked up in upper NE and in parts of FL. So this does cause some headaches on the East side too.

fred
btw, we have a 1000 sitting in the shop which wouldn't pick up 129 at all, with different lnbs's tried. Slapped a new 1000 on the post and 'voila' - got 129 - go figure. LOL, my buddy, the store owner, keeps asking me when I'm buying that 1000 to take home........(I think I'll take it to his house)

fred

Ok, so maybe this is one of those situations that needs a second dish pointing towards 61.5 for the HD. It is hard to get a signal for 129 on a 1000, in my area I can at least get it into the 80's. Maybe you could get them to send a different tech out and see what they can do. A 50 signal isnt even worth messing with. You'll never be able to watch those channels.

Thanks for the advice the tech. coming tomorrow is supposed to be a "field service manager" or something. If he cant make the signal any better Ill ask him about a second dish for the HD's and see how he reacts. My old super dish is still on the roof could that be used for the second dish?

Try installing Ku band.....1/16 of an inch off and no signal! Very touchy, I know what you mean :) Ver frustrating!

Fredinva said:
I installed two D1000s here in Va yesterday. 129 is a pain in the derrier even here in Va. I got 75 signal on one and barely 60 on the other. I may go back and tweek the second one on Monday. Simply tightening the nuts on the plumb post altered the signal slightly!!!! It is very touchy.
The 129 footprint cannot be picked up in upper NE and in parts of FL. So this does cause some headaches on the East side too.

fred
btw, we have a 1000 sitting in the shop which wouldn't pick up 129 at all, with different lnbs's tried. Slapped a new 1000 on the post and 'voila' - got 129 - go figure. LOL, my buddy, the store owner, keeps asking me when I'm buying that 1000 to take home........(I think I'll take it to his house)

fred

I have bought and installed all of my own equipment/switches, etc over the years, and have 1 leased 811. I am being upgraded today. Hopefully the tech won't try to take my "extras".

peytonc said:
Thanks for the advice the tech. coming tomorrow is supposed to be a "field service manager" or something. If he cant make the signal any better Ill ask him about a second dish for the HD's and see how he reacts. My old super dish is still on the roof could that be used for the second dish?

Well, I've never tried it. But it does have a skew setting and already has a dual lnb for the 110, I suppose it's worth a shot. I can't really think of a reason why it could not be pointed at the 61.5 with a little effort. Then he could just run a line from the dual on the Superdish to the DPP twin. Just ask him.

EDIT- I say it has a dual for the 110, if it's a 121 Superdish. I've never seen a 105 Superdish so I really don't know how thats set up, but I'm assuming theres a dual on there somewhere.( The 121 Superdish was used in my area for International packages).

Last edited:
Hopefully the new installer can get your signal strengths up a bit...
how far away from the dish is the receiver? if it is a really long distance you can lose some power over the line and a heavy gauge cable may be one way to fix the problem. But most likely its just a alignment problem.

also, if you got everything installed under a lease promotion, dish maintains ownership of all receivers, remotes, switches, and lnb's. Half the time they don't ask for that all back... but they can.

I don't know where in South Carolina you are. I regularly do Dish1000 installs in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and I'm getting 60-70's on 129 in almost all of them. The customers say the signal is fine.

I sent a email to ceo@dishnetwork.com about all the problems Ive had. Within ten minutes I received a response from a lady named Jenny. Then soon after she called me. She was very helpful and due to all the problems Ive had she paid this months bill for me. She has been the only good thing about the service Ive gotten from Dish lately. If anyones having trouble that you cant seem to get solve I highly recommend emailing her. :up Hopefully the installer will get my signal up when he comes out today.

Mike500 said:
I don't know where in South Carolina you are. I regularly do Dish1000 installs in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and I'm getting 60-70's on 129 in almost all of them. The customers say the signal is fine.
Im about 30 miles south of charleston.

Update: Different installer came out and looked at my dish and immediately said it was off. He adjusted the dish and got my signal on the 129 up in the 70 to 80 range. A knowledgeable installer makes all the difference in the world. Oh by the way the 622 is awesome I like it way more than the 811 I replaced.:up

This is such a familiar story. So often I go to a job where for whatever reason, a tech couldn't plumb a mast, or set an elevation. Sometimes, it's not even a line of sight issue. All you need to do is check the mast, elevation, skew, then swing the azmuth back and forth to max. That's it. Done. Lock it in and go home.

But I'd much rather get paid the full install price for doing it right the first time, rather than following other techs around and only gettin paid for service calls. But there's only so many installs one man can do in a day. :D

Right now I'm operating real smooth at four new connects a day ranging from 2-4 tuners. Only eight hours of work, and I'm home. I'll push it up to five or six new connects per day once I find a good helper I can pay by the hour. Ooooh yeah, now that will be sweet money. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts