How to get more HD

digifad

Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Out there
Hi, all. I'm new here, so first off, HI!

I've been scanning these forums this morning and have yet to find the answers I need, so I'm hoping I can get some input via this topic.

I have a Dish 500 with a 811 receiver which locks onto sat 110 and 119. I have the Everything pack with standard HD. I'd like to add on the VOOM and get some of the local HD channels. I cannot receive HD OTA, but using the tool on dishnetwork.com, I am eligible to get the channels from Washington,DC via sat 61.5.

My neighbor has a DirecTV dish they no longer use, so I'd like to take advantage of it and set it up pointing to sat 61.5. What do I need to do obtain a signal from 61.5. Do I just call dishnetwork and ask them to add the VOOM pack to my account, then setup the new satellite pointing to 61.5? Do I need any splitters and such?

I don't want to swap out the 811, but if I have to, let me know.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Dish has a upgrade promp where they will upgrade your 811 to a 211 (or a 622 HD DVR: recommended) for like $99. I think that they'll also add that 61.5 dish during the installation. Check into it and forget trying to get that DirectTV dish to work.

Definately upgrade to the 622. I went from the 811 to 211 in February and now I am kicking myself for not going to a 622...almost 4 months left until I can upgrade again.

digifad said:
So is there no option to get the locals with my 811 and the additional dish?
All the HD locals (other than NYC and LA) are uplinked in MPEG-4 format. You'll need a VIP type receiver to get them, as well as many of the national HD channels.

I assume I can't just call them and ask them to replace my leased 811 with a 211 or 622, right?

Cyclone: Do you know what the promo is for the 622?

digifad said:
I assume I can't just call them and ask them to replace my leased 811 with a 211 or 622, right?

Cyclone: Do you know what the promo is for the 622?
Let me be the first to welcome you to this very knowledgeable board.:welcome

Yes you can replace the 811 with either a Vip 211 for $50 fee or a 622Dvr for $200 fee then you have to get one of the metallic packages. Then you would revieve the locals and voom plus Dish will install another dish to point at 61.5 at no extra charge.

I am having an upgrade done today. Here is what the work order is for: VIP622 and a Dish 1000. I am replacing an 811 and my Dish 500. I got it for $200, then $100 rebate over the next 10 months.

Cyclone said:
Dish has a upgrade promp where they will upgrade your 811 to a 211 (or a 622 HD DVR: recommended) for like $99. I think that they'll also add that 61.5 dish during the installation. Check into it and forget trying to get that DirectTV dish to work.

There's also a deal at Costco for the 622 right now. Purchase for 479 as I recall, get a nice rebate, and actual 622 cost was something like $179-$199. If I didn't already have a 622, I would have jumped on that!

I assume you are starting a new contract along with the upgrade, correct?

I only have 6 months left on my 2 year contract and hoping not to get stuck in another 2 years, just to get a few more HD channels.

iafirebuff said:
I am having an upgrade done today. Here is what the work order is for: VIP622 and a Dish 1000. I am replacing an 811 and my Dish 500. I got it for $200, then $100 rebate over the next 10 months.
Are you sure it is $100 rebate, I thought the 622 got you a $200, $20/mo for 10 months. That is what I got.

I had to sign a 12 month contract. And the person I dealt with at ceo@echostar said it was a $100 rebate ($10 for 10 months). I REALLY like the new 622!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)