Bad power supply in VIP211 with R5000 mod?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
I bought 2 211 receivers from dishstore.net about a year ago, and one of them stopped working the other day. The power light was on, but there was no picture. I tried power cycling, unplugging and replugging, and unplugging and waiting an hour or so and then replugging. In all cases, the receiver seemed like it was trying to start up. The screen would flash a couple times, but I'd never get a picture, not even a menu screen. If I swap over to the other 211, it works fine so I'm pretty sure there's no dish or switch issue. I just checked it again this morning after leaving it on over night, and the power LED is flickering. It's going off and on several times per second.

I'm guessing the power supply has had it, but wanted to get some opinions. I'd just get the thing replaced but I had an R5000 mod installed in this one. Having the R5000 removed and put into another receiver costs about $100 plus shipping both ways. I don't use the second receiver much, so I'm considering cannibalizing it and putting its power supply into the modded one. I'm reasonably handy, so if the power supply swap is a simple procedure I could probably handle it.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed.

Check the caps

I bought 2 211 receivers from dishstore.net about a year ago, and one of them stopped working the other day. The power light was on, but there was no picture. I tried power cycling, unplugging and replugging, and unplugging and waiting an hour or so and then replugging. In all cases, the receiver seemed like it was trying to start up. The screen would flash a couple times, but I'd never get a picture, not even a menu screen. If I swap over to the other 211, it works fine so I'm pretty sure there's no dish or switch issue. I just checked it again this morning after leaving it on over night, and the power LED is flickering. It's going off and on several times per second.

I'm guessing the power supply has had it, but wanted to get some opinions. I'd just get the thing replaced but I had an R5000 mod installed in this one. Having the R5000 removed and put into another receiver costs about $100 plus shipping both ways. I don't use the second receiver much, so I'm considering cannibalizing it and putting its power supply into the modded one. I'm reasonably handy, so if the power supply swap is a simple procedure I could probably handle it.

Any suggestions or opinions would be welcomed.

Before you go crazy doing a whole pwr supply switch you might want to to ck out the caps in the existing supply. As in almost all electronic products the electrolytic caps have a good chance of becoming leaky and causing the problem.

It voids your warranty

What Is a Rs5000 mod?

As title states the R5000 mod is an extreme mod to Dish 411/ViP 211 series of receivers (and ViP 622 DVR**) and can record all SD (Standard Definition) and HD channels, including PPV. MPEG-4 (H.264) content can be captured from the new models. Certain PPV events may not be compatible with automatic recording using the PVR. These events may need to be manually launched after the necessary confirmation sequence is entered into the receiver. *An 8PSK tuner module is required for HD channels. **Can only record live content from the 622 DVR. Cannot extract programs already stored on internal drive.
If you want more info you will have to search it out for yourself.

...and have a few coins ready if you wish to get it for yourself.

It does cost some coin to make the initial purchase, but when combined with Sage TV can pay for itself in a few years. There's no fees associated with a 211 except for being a second receiver.

Before you go crazy doing a whole pwr supply switch you might want to to ck out the caps in the existing supply. As in almost all electronic products the electrolytic caps have a good chance of becoming leaky and causing the problem.

I'll crack the case and take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, I cracked open the case on the bad 211 last night. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the power board, so I decided to go ahead and do the swap between the two receivers. A couple of the cable connections were a little tough to get loose, but otherwise it was a very simple procedure. I hooked it back up to the dish and all is well again.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the second receiver. I'm guessing that since this is owned equipment that I've had for a year that I'm pretty much out of luck getting any kind of warranty work done on it. I guess I can try a little DIY, but I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to fix it. If I can figure out what is wrong, I'm fairly confident I can replace the bad part. It's the figuring out what's wrong part that's the issue. Can I tell if a cap is bad just by putting a meter on it and seeing if power passes through, or do I need to be looking for a specific amperage? If a specific amperage, are there any tech docs. available that give this info?

Thanks,
Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)