Bad sg6100? LCD goes blank then runs to the limit til reset.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rsa2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Arkansas, USA
When my sg6100 runs back to 0 the lcd goes to all dashes and it runs all the way to its limit. Unhooking the coax and doing a reset at 0 it works fine til I cross 0 again. Thought it might be my receiver but got my new MicroHD today and same thing happens. Guess I got a faulty motor. I wonder if I disabled the microswitch at 0 if my problems would go away... Anyone else have this motor and have same issue?

Have have zero'd and reset many many times. Sometimes it works fine for awhile and USALS is spot on with the microhd. when it quits the lcd readout will be just dashes and its like it doesn't know where its at til i manually put it back to zero and do a reset on the motor. I was hoping it was the sonicview 360 i was using but same problem with new reciever. it is almost random when it happens even driving west with the buttons on the motor then east as soon as i cross zero it happens.

UPDATE!
Ok i couldn't help myself so I voided the warranty... I took it all apart. Since the problem was when it crossed zero the microswitch there felt sticky... man they really greased this thing up! I cleaned off some of the excess grease around the switches and reset all the cables. So far so good. I am not sure if it was cleaning the grease off the switch or reseating all the cables but its working now. Hopefully it stays that way! This motor is fast considering it's carrying a channel master 1m. I would have thought the dish was too heavy but i bench tested it when I first got it and the problem happened then too. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Where did you buy this motor, just curious?

Bad solder joint inside, and when it moves, it moves a ribbon connection that causes it to go wild?

It might be worth opening up if there's no warranty, and checking for this. If you find one or more, hit them with a soldering pencil and some solder.

Bad solder joint inside, and when it moves, it moves a ribbon connection that causes it to go wild?

It might be worth opening up if there's no warranty, and checking for this. If you find one or more, hit them with a soldering pencil and some solder.

Are you reading the whole thread before you reply? ;)

I got it from a reputable dealer. The warranty seal was intact and was NIB. I don't want to call anyone out b/c I am sure he would have replaced it, I just didn't want to wait a week to send it back and another week to get a replacement...

Sometimes stuff slips past quality control and we know where this stuff is made. I am pretty sure it was the sticky microswitch for 0 reference.

I ran this thing all over the arc last night and it has been performing solid.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)