Bad Switch?? New Install...

illin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
We have had Dish for about 2 months. Absolutely amazing service after leaving Charter. However, we have ben having an anoying issue over the last couple of weeks.

I have been getting "There is a problem with your switch" popups about 5x a day on both tuners (I have a single 622). It gives me a choice to cancel or to "check switch".

When I run the check switch, they usually all come back good and everything is back. However, about 1/10 times, I get one bad out of the eight.

Should I call the installers? Dish?? This is starting to get old.

Yes, you should call the installers. It could be just a bad connector or cable somewhere along the line and they need to fix it for you. It could also be a bad LNB and they will need to replace it.

I went over all the connectors. One thing I noticed is that the installer hooked up diplexers (I think that is what they are called) at both ends because I was going to get an OTA for our PBS in HD. However, I never put it on....so the diplexers had empty runs on both sides.

Could this have been my issue?

Been running an hour with no issues...will let it go a couple days and then call the installers if it does it again.

I went over all the connectors. One thing I noticed is that the installer hooked up diplexers (I think that is what they are called) at both ends because I was going to get an OTA for our PBS in HD. However, I never put it on....so the diplexers had empty runs on both sides.

Could this have been my issue?

Been running an hour with no issues...will let it go a couple days and then call the installers if it does it again.

Not really, unless you have bad diplexers. We could help you troubleshoot the problem but since it could be several different things, you're better off calling the installers. There is a 90 days warranty on the installation, I believe so don't wait too long.

I think I seen a technical note on DPP Twin where it was a software issue causing check switch errors, something related to a port not being used. I'm not quite sure what it was.... verify current version of software, run a check switch.

I powered the unit off today (dont think I have ever done that) and after removing the diplexers and the reboot...it has been fine for over 12 hours. I dont think it has made it that far for the last couple of weeks.

Will make sure it doesnt come back...but will phone the installers if it pops back up. I think I am really close to my 90 days..should I call them anyway?

I get the same thing now with the 4.01 software. When you check your switch you will usually get a message that one of the lnb is drifting. I called dish and they said that was added in the last software and the lnbs are allowed to follow the satellelite if it moves. My drift was 1 degree and the tech said no problem as long as it doesn;t get to 8.
I asked why does it have to tell you to check the switch when it is not a concern and he said that will get fixed in the next update.

Just to make sure it's a software issue or not. Go to System Info (Press Menu twice) and get the software version. If it's L4.01 then yes it's probably a software issue. If it isn't then it's probably a problem with your setup.

DP44 Switch error solved

We were having this same issue for weeks and I noticed when my ceiling fan was off that I didn't get the switch error.
My wife told me didn’t this start once we put in the new Green type light Bulbs (GE florescent Helical 13W. I thought she was crazy but at this point would try anything.
:) Once I went back to standard Bulb in the ceiling FAN I have never seen the switch err again, ( I put them back several times to test this and it fails every time I use these bulbs) So much for being green.

I powered the unit off today (dont think I have ever done that) and after removing the diplexers and the reboot...it has been fine for over 12 hours. I dont think it has made it that far for the last couple of weeks.

Will make sure it doesnt come back...but will phone the installers if it pops back up. I think I am really close to my 90 days..should I call them anyway?
Leaving the unit powered up can cause these problems. In fact a new software version just went out...here they are...Note I advise all my customers to power down their receivers when not in use. This is per Dish's instructions. Leaving them powered up can cause the receiver to "miss' software updates. This can cause loss of signal, losso f channels and other annoying problems. Power them down when you power down your tv. Make it habit.
new software..this is so you can see the dates....

SW Release:
Monday 12/10 No SW releases planned
Tuesday 12/11 DP522/625 L463 2.5M Partial 12AM HDD Error fix / Misc.
ViP622/722 L448 250K Partial 12AM FVOD, IPTV Fixes / Archos Support / Max Svc.
ViP211 L435 250K Partial 12AM QAM fixes / Max Svc.
DP501/508/510 P401 Full 12AM 002/004 Signal Fix, DPP1K.2/MDP4X device fix
Wednesday 12/12 ViP622/722 L448 500K Partial 12AM FVOD, IPTV Fixes / Archos Support / Max Svc.
Thursday 12/13 DP522/625 L463 Full 12AM HDD Error fix / Misc.
ViP622/722 L448 750K Partial 12AM FVOD, IPTV Fixes / Archos Support / Max Svc.
ViP211 L435 Full 12AM QAM fixes / Max Svc.
ViP222 L303 TBD Partial 12AM SBS PiP/ CC fixes / Max Svc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)