GEOSATpro Bad Video on h.264 720p Sports Feed

DRCars

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Southern USA
Trying to watch a E*S*P*N feed on SES2 3719 H 29270 that is h.264 720p video. The picture is blinking with intermittent recognizable scenes but is on the whole unwatchable thru both HDMI and composite output. MPEG II Audio is okay. Picture on HTPC (MyTheatre) is good. MicroHD just doesn't like this feed at all. The feed should last a couple of more hours (football).

Anyone else seeing this?

Edits: BTW the composite output on my MicroHD is black and white (no color). This is the first time I have looked at the composite since I got the receiver. Disappointing.

Other details: Quality is 74% on this DVB-S(QPSK) 3/4 FEC feed which should be plenty good. MyTheatre info shows 1280x720 59.94 16:9 34 mbps h.264/AVC HiP@4.1 Video. MicroHD info shows 720p_60 Video.

Have 3 seconds of the video (17 MB) if SatAV needs it. The MicroHD Media Player chokes on the recorded video also.

DRCars

Last edited:
Just looking at this feed i find the same issue the bottom of the screen is kind of ok but the other 3/4 of the screen is choppy and as for my composet video its doing the same but my is in colour just an idea try making sure the plug in the back of the unit is all the way plug in i just try unpluging a little and got black and white just a thought but as for the feed i not sure but i have same issue as you must be the feed dose not look like a 4.2.2 feed and now the feed clears up and working hmmm must have been a feed issue

Thanks for the response phantom_76.

The video is better on mine now also. There's still a little flicker at about 1 second intervals but it is not terribly obvious. Strange it was never bad on my HTPC (~1 hour). As far as the black and white on composite goes I've wiggled and plugged/unplugged the jack many times and still no color. Guess I'll take a gentle peak inside and see if something is loose with regard to that connector.

EDit: Took a look but there's nothing obviously wrong inside. I'm not willing to mess with the guts to see what happens. I guess the connector on the PCB is not allowing the breakout cable to seat deep enough or else it's a bad breakout cable.

DRCars

Last edited:
DRCars said:
Trying to watch a E*S*P*N feed on SES2 3719 H 29270 that is h.264 720p video. The picture is blinking with intermittent recognizable scenes but is on the whole unwatchable thru both HDMI and composite output. MPEG II Audio is okay. Picture on HTPC (MyTheatre) is good. MicroHD just doesn't like this feed at all. The feed should last a couple of more hours (football).

Anyone else seeing this?

Edits: BTW the composite output on my MicroHD is black and white (no color). This is the first time I have looked at the composite since I got the receiver. Disappointing.

Other details: Quality is 74% on this DVB-S(QPSK) 3/4 FEC feed which should be plenty good. MyTheatre info shows 1280x720 59.94 16:9 34 mbps h.264/AVC HiP@4.1 Video. MicroHD info shows 720p_60 Video.

Have 3 seconds of the video (17 MB) if SatAV needs it. The MicroHD Media Player chokes on the recorded video also.

DRCars

I think your micro is jacked. You need to RMA it. I have a unit that does the same thing BW on composite.

Watching another ESPN DVB-S(QPSK) 29270 FEC 3/4 feed and once again the picture is jittery. This is at the same location as in my first post on this subject. This time the video is MPEG2. Jitters are not always there but when they start they occur at about 1 second intervals and is distracting. Quality is 75%. Mytheatre and DVBViewer on my HTPC have no problem.

Too bad I watch a lot of these type feeds.

DRCars

The Amiko Alien2 doesn't like 29270 SR feeds either. It hangs about once a second. The weird thing is, it's not an Ali box!

Watching another ESPN DVB-S(QPSK) 29270 FEC 3/4 feed and once again the picture is jittery. This is at the same location as in my first post on this subject. This time the video is MPEG2. DRCars

try this next time on known mpeg2 video jittter issue feeds - set the video output resolution of your box to 720p (to match the 720p tuned feed) and see if that helps with the jitters - that seems to help on those four-letter channel feeds where I see jitters and know it's MPEG2 video and not the known occasional h264 video problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was already using 720p output on the MicroHD.

You say "known occasional h264 video problem". Does that mean that SatelliteAV knows about these jitters on some feeds? If so has there been any indication that a fix is possible?

DRCars

he has had some samples on feeds exhibiting h264 jitter sent to him for evaluation. I don't know if that will lead to something that can be fixed in firmware or if it's just a hardware flaw in the ALI way of decoding h264 signals (if a signal with H264 jitter affects my microhd, it also has affected my openbox s10 and manhattan, also ALI-chip receivers).

So... any further developments on this front? Does it happen with ALL 720p SR 29270 feeds, or mostly MPEG4? I'm still trying to decide what my next receiver is going to be. I'm not much of a sports fan, but it's really embarassing when you show off your new toy to someone and it misbehaves.

Played back the h.264 TS sample on our bench modulator and the microHD properly decoded without issue. Sent the sample to an ALI engineer for further testing. At this point, we have not been able to replicate the stutter in bench testing. Looks like we will have to be able to tune a live feed.

If anyone is able to record a sample TS of a h.264 feed with stutter, please document the transponder parameters including the FEC, Symbol Rate and record the entire MUX.

We have several hardware based modulators, but my favorite modulator for testing is the PCI card TVB593. It is fully loaded with every modulation with the exception of the C2 option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts