Balck Bars on a 4:3 HDTV

dimi1963

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Union, NJ
Is there any way I can eliminate those annoying black bars on my SONY 4:3 HDTV? I have the 6000 hooked up on this TV via component cabling, and I was wondering if there is any setting that I can tweak within the receiver Menu, keep in mind that I have the receiver HD setup set to display in 1080i. Any help is highly appreciated. :confused:

You need to hook up the 6000 to the TV 2 ways, 1 way component for HD material, the other way, S-Video for normal SD material. I have a 32" HD Sony in my Bedroom and that is the only way to get around it. I do however have the 811, but I am guessing the 6000 is very similar. My 811 outputs to component and S-video the same time.

peid seems to have gotten it pretty much right. A few expansions though.

Many Sony 4x3 HDTV sets switch into a vertical compression mode when they are fed a HDTV signal. Your set may have a zoom/stretch mode available (mostly in RPTVs) that will fill your screen at the expense of either distorting the picture or cutting off the sides. Check your TV's manual for this info.

If not you will need to follow peid's suggestion to fill the screen for SD material. One additional step you will need when switching inputs is to change the mode of your 6000. The 811 outputs HD and SD simultaneously the 6000 can only do one at a time. Use the HD/SD button to switch into the appropriate mode when your switch inputs.