Bang for the buck?

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Regarding Dish, do you fellas feel they offer good value for that you get? Ie- bang for the buck?

I keep reading folks have bills anywhere from 80$ to 175$, those numbers just make my stomach turn.

Pretty much all I really want is Disney, Nick and NickJr (anything else is gravy) except I refuse to ‘bust the bank’ if you will.
AT120, HD fee, DVR fee, taxes will add up to just over 80$.
Am hoping to keep the bill under 50$ but from what am seeing…it might be wishful thinking.

Cheers, K

I think Dish suffers from the the same problem DirecTV and cablecos do: paying for a lot of stuff you don't want just to get the few things you do want. Unfortunately for you, I think your desire to get Disney offers you few legal ways to get what you want for not a lot of money.

-Ted

I just don't see how you could keep it under $50, including taxes and fees, and have much of anything you want to watch.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If only you had a time machine, you could go back a few years and then you could keep it under $50.00. Unfortunately even if you stay in the present , in a few more years the price will be even higher. Eventually the cable /sat model will implode and we will all be looking for time machines of our own. That are we will all be cutting the cord and going back to ota ........while it lasts.

If only you had a time machine, you could go back a few years and then you could keep it under $50.00. Unfortunately even if you stay in the present , in a few more years the price will be even higher. Eventually the cable /sat model will implode and we will all be looking for time machines of our own. That are we will all be cutting the cord and going back to ota ........while it lasts.

Going back to that same time period I would also give up my whole-home DVR, large hard drive, HD on every TV and lots of other features. I could go to a similar setup from back then and save lots of money by using only a 222 and mirror it to every TV.

I did the math one time, and I could buy everything we watch each year on iTunes, and I would still pay less for TV than I do with Dish/DirecTV/Cable. With price increases, I can only assume this is still the case.

-Ted

AT120 with a 211k with external HD is about as low as you can go with a DVR, HD and no DVR fees. $54.99 regular price.

Maybe a Latino package could save some.

you can also do the smart pack its only 30 ish dollars its like a basic cable package for the most part.

I have seen customers who had successfully negotiated that rate even lower.

If you are looking for just disney and Nick and have good internet you then you can look at netflix and amazon prime.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Honestly, I can't take a complaint about costs seriously when it is someone who only wants Disney, Nick and Nick JR and has Cable or Satellite. Programs from those channels can generally be watched in one form or another independently from a carrier.
Same when someone can get everything they watch less with Itunes. That seems an obvious answer - use Itunes and drop Satellite/Cable.

Costs are too high, partly fueled by sports, partly by demands for packaging, but also partly because the economy is still horrible and everything has gone up. Think about how much your fuel bill has risen for anyone who uses oil or propane and then realize companies with huge buildings are paying that too. Trucking costs, out of sight. And on and on.
So if you are only watching three channels, blame yourself. If there is an alternative that would cost you less and give you what you want online try getting programming another way and/or OTA, isn't that what you should do?

We watch alot of TV, have many shows over many channels we like. I happen to like "reality" TV (Though rarely real lol) like Pawn Stars or Hardcore Pawn, Amish Mafia, etc etc etc... and we watch several network shows. With the equipment I have from DISH and just about any channel available, all Red Sox games, and throw in HBO I feel I get my entertainment's worth. If I did not watch as much I too would be looking to see how to try something different.

Same when someone can get everything they watch less with Itunes. That seems an obvious answer - use Itunes and drop Satellite/Cable.

Costs are too high, partly fueled by sports, partly by demands for packaging, but also partly because the economy is still horrible and everything has gone up. Think about how much your fuel bill has risen for anyone who uses oil or propane and then realize companies with huge buildings are paying that too. Trucking costs, out of sight. And on and on.
So if you are only watching three channels, blame yourself. If there is an alternative that would cost you less and give you what you want like online programming and OTA, isn't that what you should do?

Yes, and I plan to.

-Ted

Many are. If enough do, the carries will have to make some decisions and how to change the business model.

Netflix and Amazon Prime is the only way to go to get access to Disney and Nick for less than Dish.

Good bang for your buck? Absolutely not. For the # of channels I actually want versus what I pay.

My income can absorb it, but I regularly re-evaluate whether I want to continue with Dish. I do know that I pay less for Dish than I would for DirecTV, and cable isn't an option where I live. Unfortunately the stuff I DO care about is most-easily (or only) obtained via Dish and in higher-quality than over the internet, so I haven't kicked Dish to the curb... yet. They certainly deserve to be however.

I've got my bill down to about $100 right now but I have a bunch of referral credits that are in effect. Right now I'm getting great value but when it goes back up to it's $130-$140 price then it's not as attractive.

If you're out of contract and considering cancelling or going to another provider I would call and see if retention can do something for you. That's what I did and ended up with a $45x12 credit.

I also have 4 referral credits helping, but they just deducted my auto-pay this month and it was $29.67 for 120+ on a 2HWS/2J system.

The main reason I didn't cancel is because of my local MLB team. I'm still not sure I made the right decision to keep it as I barely turn the tvs on but for what I'm paying for the next year I really can't go wrong.

I started a thread about the "tipping point" in the pub that dealt with this as well.

In my experience, the only real way to keep the costs down from the consumer standpoint is to play the new customer promo game. These days I just flat refuse to pay what I would have had no problem paying just 5 years ago. It has nothing to do with finances, my priorities have simply shifted, and TV, while enjoyable, is just not as high on the list as it once was. No offense if it is a high priority to one of you.

I now have a basic limit that I am going to stay at, once the math makes sense, I make the call and change to the other. Doing just that this weekend in swapping from Directv back to Dish.

I started a thread about the "tipping point" in the pub that dealt with this as well.

In my experience, the only real way to keep the costs down from the consumer standpoint is to play the new customer promo game. These days I just flat refuse to pay what I would have had no problem paying just 5 years ago. It has nothing to do with finances, my priorities have simply shifted, and TV, while enjoyable, is just not as high on the list as it once was. No offense if it is a high priority to one of you.

I now have a basic limit that I am going to stay at, once the math makes sense, I make the call and change to the other. Doing just that this weekend in swapping from Directv back to Dish.

might have to do that. it just does not seem like we are getting our money's worth anymore.... at least, when the NFL season is not on... when it is, yes, totally worth it... lol

can't wait for a RedZone streaming option!

Regarding Dish, do you fellas feel they offer good value for that you get? Ie- bang for the buck?

I keep reading folks have bills anywhere from 80$ to 175$, those numbers just make my stomach turn.

Pretty much all I really want is Disney, Nick and NickJr (anything else is gravy) except I refuse to ‘bust the bank’ if you will.
AT120, HD fee, DVR fee, taxes will add up to just over 80$.
Am hoping to keep the bill under 50$ but from what am seeing…it might be wishful thinking.

Cheers, K

Let me just clarify that you are stating you want just Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Nick Jr. If these are the only channels, you want you may want to compare DirecTV and Dish packages to shop around. I think Nick Jr will be the decider if it is that important to you since DirecTV has it in its Family Package (but possibly not in some packages higher than Family--Dish does this with some channels in its Smart Pack like DIY which is in AT 250 outside of Smart Pack. Therefore, be careful of upgrading from some of the lowest tiers to higher ones as some channels do not stay) while Dish has it in America's Top 200 last time I checked. I will not lie; we had issues with DirecTV. However, others have had no issues. The Family Package with DirecTV is $29.99/month I believe (without HD I believe; with HD would be $10 more a month I am assuming...not sure if you can do like Dish and have an HD box with HD locals without an HD fee). The first receiver with any provider is usually included in the base price (with possibly the exception of some cable companies).

For a list of channels in the FAMILY package via the DirecTV site: http://cdn.directv.com/cms2/support/20120323_family_channel_lineup.pdf
This package has Nick Jr., Disney Channel (East), Disney Channel (West), Disney XD, Nickelodeon (East), Nickelodeon (West), and even TeenNick. However, it does not have Disney Jr according to the PDF site.

According to DirecTV:

Is the FAMILY package still available? How do I subscribe to it?

Yes, you can still get the FAMILY package by calling us at 1-888-777-2454. The FAMILY package includes more than 50 channels suitable for viewers of all ages, including local channels (where available), for only $29.99 per month, our everyday low price.

I believe the Disneys (Junior, XD, and ABC Family as well), Nickelodeons, and Nick Jr are in the following packages: Select [reg. $49.99], Entertainment [$57.99], Choice [$66.99/mo; RSN fee of up to $3.63 may apply], Xtra [$73.99/mo; RSN fee of up to $3.63 may apply], Ultimate [$81.99/mo; RSN fee of up to $3.63 may apply], and Premier [$129.99/mo; RSN fee of up to $3.63 may apply]

For a printable channel lineup card of some the packages: http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Dish's $32.99 Smart Pack has Nickelodeon (East and West feeds) [along with Nicktoons Network which otherwise is in AT250]. However, to get Disney East and West feeds you would need the $54.99/month America's Top 120 or Dish Latino Dos package. I think HD is only free for two years now. :( However, by then, you would be out of contract, and things may change by then (hopefully for the best). Dish's $69.99/month America's Top 200 has the Nickelodeons, Disneys, and Nick Jr.

For printable lineup cards: http://www.mydish.com/downloads/cha....pdf?WT.svl=guide-area-img-dish-channel-guide

Bottom line: If you only want Disney East, Disney West, Nickelodeon East, Nickelodeon East, Nickeldeon West, and Nick Junior, then it seems like it would make sense to go with DirecTV's Family package which I believe is $29.99/month. HD (optional) may be an extra $10/month. However, with an HD receiver, you may (not sure) be able to get just your locals in HD (at least Dish does it this way). Any receiver past the first would be extra (probably about $6/month extra). DVR (optional) would also have a fee. Does the Genie have a $10/month HD fee and a $10/month DVR fee? Maybe someone can chime in on that; that seems to be my understanding. We really love Dish, but in this scenario, in the long run, I do not think it is worth paying $40/month more at $69.99/month in the long run (although you may get a nice first year promotional price off the monthly price) just to get Nick Jr. However, if you are looking at higher packages, then you may want to compare the two again. I think Dish's Welcome Pack is a good deal at $19.99/month; however, those channels you want are not in it. If you have youngsters, another plus will be PBS Kids Sprout which is on DirecTV but not Dish. Best of luck to you! Let us know what you decide if you do not mind! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)