"bap" sound coming from someting. The Hopper3?

judyintexas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
We have a fairly new Hopper3 with a Joey Wireless Access Point behind the also fairly new Samsung Q7 TV. Several times during an evening of watching the Olympics we will hear a sound that I will describe as "Bap" coming from behind the TV, where the components (including the separate box that is actually part of the TV) are located. We didn't use the TV for very long (with a VIP622) before we got the Hopper, but we did not have this noise during that time.

The Hopper is sitting on the base of the recess that holds the TV. Since this space was built during the CRT era, there is plenty of space back there and there is good ventilation under and around the TV and up through the open top.

What is this? And, what should I do?

Thank you!

That is a tough one, Judy. Can you record the sound with your cell phone and post the audio somewhere?

Another idea that might help to locate where a sound is coming from is to use a solid, such as a broomstick, and touch different components while listening at the other end. Sound travels much better through a solid than it does through the air.

Thanks for responding, TheKrell. I never know when it is going to happen). The closest I can describe it is that it sounds like a shot from a BB gun, or the noise you get when you release a connection from an air compressor. The noise is not as loud as our air compressor (or what you hear in a tire shop when they use an air compressor to unseat a tire), but it sounds the same. Our BB gun is not very loud, so it sounds more like that.

I will add that I do not remember hearing it on evenings when we just watch the news, so we don't have the TV running for very long.

I will add that I do not remember hearing it on evenings when we just watch the news, so we don't have the TV running for very long.
As a test, unplug everything except the TV (obviously, when the Hopper is not recording something). Turn the TV on and leave it on. If after a while you hear the noise, it's likely that some component inside the TV is sensitive to heat. That would explain why you don't hear it if the TV is only on for a short time.

Another idea that might help to locate where a sound is coming from is to use a solid, such as a broomstick, and touch different components while listening at the other end. Sound travels much better through a solid than it does through the air.
The "Car Guys" trick works just as well and might be easier to implement. Buy a length of silicone tubing, like on a stethoscope, hold one end by your ear and have a buddy move the other end around until you locate the source of the noise. Just make sure your car is stationary while executing the manuver.

Cheddar Head, remember that this sound occurs one or less each hour, so I don't think your suggestion is practical although I appreciated the chance to think fondly of the Car Guys.

Pepper, the screen of the TV is mostly dark when the Hopper is off, and when I left the TV only turned on for a couple of hours yesterday I heard no "bap."

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts